Retirement from workforce

JLM
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by Hoof HeartedView Post

I got a hoot out of all of the people who told me I was a loser for staying in my shipping job...

This was during the high tech boom at the turn of the century. When it all went bust, the same knobs came back to me and told me I was 'lucky' to have a job! lol!

At 51, I've lived by the seat of my pants my whole life. I'll probably work till 60. Fortunately, my wife is an only child and will inherit 2 estates on her side. I've got a crazy rich bachelor Uncle on my side. Combined with our good pensions, we should be set over the next decade or so.

I'm still hungry, though. Got an 'out there' money-making project I'm working on for later this year.

There are very, very few bad jobs. Virtually every one with the possible exception of the undertaker can provide a connection to something else!

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeperView Post

We had a pretty flexible pension plan at work, a whole bunch of different choices in ratios of survivor benefits. So both my wife and I went through so extensive medical test, before deciding which specific plan to take.....A terminal desease in any one of us would have made a big difference in the decision.

Yep, good planning is essential although it's not always a guarantee. We've both enjoyed good health for 18 years, so I think what happens now we are pretty much ahead of the game money wise. From now on I'm just keeping my fingers, toes, eyes and ears crossed.

lone wolf
+1
I was forced into it at 37 when the hose I was using to wash a snowplow jammed up in front of the main blade then released, slamming the back of my head, neck and right shoulder into the bottom bead of the truck bed. Pity I was on a contract job and employed by a crooked little bastard who just didn't give a damn.

Ludlow
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolfView Post

I was forced into it at 37 when the hose I was using to wash a snowplow jammed up in front of the main blade then released, slamming the back of my head, neck and right shoulder into the bottom bead of the truck bed. Pity I was on a contract job and employed by a crooked little bastard who just didn't give a damn.

Lots of scum like that in America too.

Remington1
Years to go still, but reading a few posts in here I think it might be a good idea to look into savings. It would be nice to buy something in northern Ontario or spots in NB, I spent time there and ocean front land was pretty cheap. I like spots north of Kingston as well.

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by Remington1View Post

Years to go still, but reading a few posts in here I think it might be a good idea to look into savings. It would be nice to buy something in northern Ontario or spots in NB, I spent time there and ocean front land was pretty cheap. I like spots north of Kingston as well.

Check out TFSAs...............little more flexibility (in some cases) than RRSPs. Or maybe best to do both!

Hoof Hearted
When you hit your fifties, I gotta admit it gets a little tougher waking up with the raccoons on a cold February morning, to scrape and warm up the car for work.

I feel I'm nearing the end of this phase of my work life. I'd make a lousy retired guy, though so I'll probably keep coming up with my wacky schemes to make money and invent stuff in my senior years.

A recording studio in my basement is a priority when I do finally retire. I'd like to record and sell musical cues for Radio and Television. I enjoy doing that. Golf and chess will be my other hobbies as well.

lone wolf
+1
...Keep hangin' onto that dream....

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by Hoof HeartedView Post

Golf and chess will be my other hobbies as well.

I would think Chess is an excellent exercise for the brain. I do a lot of scrabble myself, it really helps to sharpen the brain. There is a hell of a lot more to it than just making words. Defense is the biggest part of that game. I've been playing it off and on for 60 years. It helps your vocabulary too!