Mispronouncing Student’s Name Now a ‘Microaggression’

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
A campaign initiated by the National Association for Bilingual Education and the Santa Clara County Office of Education says a teacher who mispronounces a student’s name is causing a negative emotional state that can lead to poor academic success.

The campaign, titled “My Name, My Identity: A Declaration of Self,” says on its website, “Did you know that mispronouncing a student’s name negates the identity of the student? This can lead to anxiety and resentment which, in turn, can hinder academic progress.”

mo

Mispronouncing Student’s Name Now a ‘Microaggression’ - Breitbart

#muhtriggers

Remington1

Council Member
Jan 30, 2016
Well if your name is Divyansh, Uthkarsh, Yak****, Hedayatullah, and you live in California!! You can't blame the teacher, blame the parents. Learn from the Chinese, who take on an adopted name when landing in another country, why? because they want to fit in quickly and not impede their children's chance for success. Believe me, your name choice does make a difference when sitting across from a potential employer who cannot pronounce it or worst after sitting in an office for 5 years, and the VP has given up trying to pronounce it. If I moved to India, I would totally change my name to Yat**** for sure. Defy for what? For whom? People have to fit in.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Well if your name is Divyansh, Uthkarsh, Yak****, Hedayatullah, and you live in California!! You can't blame the teacher, blame the parents. Learn from the Chinese, who take on an adopted name when landing in another country, why? because they want to fit in quickly and not impede their children's chance for success. Believe me, your name choice does make a difference when sitting across from a potential employer who cannot pronounce it or worst after sitting in an office for 5 years, and the VP has given up trying to pronounce it. If I moved to India, I would totally change my name to Yat**** for sure. Defy for what? For whom? People have to fit in.
What if your name is Featherstonehaugh or Cholmondeley or MacLeod? Or Sean, for that matter?

In case you're wondering, they're pronounced "Fanshaw," "Chumley," and "McCloud."

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Try this Polack name. Zomer Oryzcyn

I used to rub that between my toes to kill the fungus.

I just spent the morning sight reading music written in High German and re-learning all of the goofy pronounciation rules to their language. The only one that I know of that is NOT like that is Italian. It is written the way that it is pronounced and what you see is what you get. No hidden, nuthin.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
A campaign initiated by the National Association for Bilingual Education and the Santa Clara County Office of Education says a teacher who mispronounces a student’s name is causing a negative emotional state that can lead to poor academic success.

The campaign, titled “My Name, My Identity: A Declaration of Self,” says on its website, “Did you know that mispronouncing a student’s name negates the identity of the student? This can lead to anxiety and resentment which, in turn, can hinder academic progress.”

mo

Mispronouncing Student’s Name Now a ‘Microaggression’ - Breitbart

#muhtriggers

Why would a piece of trivia like this even be news worthy? Thin skin or what? My name is mispronounced on a regular basis. If it's someone who I think I'll be dealing with a lot I gently correct them, if a casual encounter I generally let it go. It ranks 975th on my list of problems! :) :)