Cannabis reduces short-term motivation to work for money

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Smoking the equivalent of a single ‘spliff’ of cannabis makes people less willing to work for money while ‘high’, finds a new UCL study.

The research, published in Psychopharmacology, is the first to reliably demonstrate the short-term effects of cannabis on motivation in humans. The researchers also tested motivation in people who were addicted to cannabis but not high during the test, and found that their motivation levels were no different to volunteers in the control group.

like, more, man.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Crock of sh!t. Cannabis is not addictive. Smoking a joint does not make you want to stop work. Unless you are terminally lazy to start with.

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
I don't smoke, but was wondering if there was a government assistance plan that would pay me to stay home and smoke dope. Don't be angry. I just figured that with Trou d'eau as PM, this should be easy to accomplish.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Is that for about 10 minutes? How about in the US where the unemployment rate is 20-25%, do they forget they don't have a job to go to?

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Just read this headline, who would have guessed that memory would be an issue.

Is that for about 10 minutes? How about in the US where the unemployment rate is 20-25%, do they forget they don't have a job to go to?

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
right
alcoholics like to go to work though
drunk

I guess thats how stupid you get when you do not smoke pot

"Offcial statistics on alcohol consumption show that those in employment (especially in
“offce” professions) are more likely to drink during the week and also to a greater extent
than those who are unemployed or economically inactive (please visit the
Socioeconomic groups and alcohol section of the Alcohol Knowledge Centre for
more information). Survey data also show that in recent years, an increasing proportion
of working people have been drinking above recommended guidelines.
This invariably has had harmful implications on the health and social behaviour of
employees and employers in the workplace; an Impact Assessment paper on minimum
pricing calculated lost productivity due to alcohol in the UK at about £7.3bn per year.1
This
factsheet addresses these concerns and their causes, examines the underlying risk
factors, and looks at solutions for dealing with the issue of problem drinking at work....
http://www.ias.org.uk/uploads/pdf/Factsheets/Alcohol in the workplace factsheet March 2014.pdf

you straights..that's why they named the jacket after you

LOL

ETA
ah fikk:
here, eat the whole A$$

..."Up to 17 million working days are lost each year because of alcohol-related sickness and
the cost to employers of sick days due to drink is estimated at £1.7bn.1
The total annual
cost to the economy is estimated to be £7.3bn (2009/10 prices).2
A recent study produced by Lancaster University claimed to have found 'a robust positive
causal link between opening hours and absence' in the last decade, stating that relaxing
licensing laws for bars to remain open for longer led to a similar increase in absenteeism.3
This is supported by recent survey evidence on professional conduct in relation to alcohol
misuse. A 2007 report commissioned by Norwich Union Healthcare produced the following
fndings on alcohol-related workplace issues:4
• A third of employees admitted to having been to work with a hangover
• 15% reported having been drunk at work
• 1 in 10 reported hangovers at work once a month; 1 in 20 once a week
• Work problems resulting from hangovers or being drunk at work included diffculty
concentrating; reduced productivity; tiredness and mistakes
• The majority of employers (77%) interviewed identifed alcohol as a major threat to
employee wellbeing and a factor encouraging sickness absence
Among workers, recent data on alcohol-related mortality by socioeconomic classifcation
shows that routine workers are at greater risk of dying from an alcohol-related disease
than those in higher managerial and professional jobs.
Men whose jobs are classifed as “routine”, such as van drivers and
labourers, face 3.5 times the risk of dying from an alcohol-related disease
than those in higher managerial and professional jobs. Women in
“routine” jobs, such as cleaners and sewing machinists, face 5.7 times
the chance of dying from an alcohol-related disease than women in higher
professional jobs such as doctors and lawyers."

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
A generation of happy vegetables.. Justin's brave new world.

What's in your medicine cabinet? I bet it isn't certified organic. Huxley never mentioned cannabis in his funny book, all that stuff was synthetic junk. Cannabis has been with the human race for a very long time and has contributed greatly to the advancement of this species. So you don't like vegetables. Were you a difficult child to feed?

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
the OP 'title' is from the university.

the paper is:
Acute and chronic effects of cannabinoids on effort-related decision-making and reward learning: an evaluation of the cannabis ‘amotivational’ hypotheses

personal touch

House Member
Sep 17, 2014
alberta/B.C.
Smoking the equivalent of a single ‘spliff’ of cannabis makes people less willing to work for money while ‘high’, finds a new UCL study.

The research, published in Psychopharmacology, is the first to reliably demonstrate the short-term effects of cannabis on motivation in humans. The researchers also tested motivation in people who were addicted to cannabis but not high during the test, and found that their motivation levels were no different to volunteers in the control group.

like, more, man.

There are multiple reasons why people mood alter by using THC,or in some cases use it for ailments
This is key to understand,I noted the age of participants was not included,
this is another key feature of users of THC
Age does matter when using THC
Older productive individuals tend to use it recreational or have incorporated into their lifestyle ,
And would define going to work high as taboo
There would be no fun in that
What a bunch of BS

personal touch

House Member
Sep 17, 2014
alberta/B.C.
How about the elephant in the room when it comes to drugs?
I think there is a lot more conversation to be had beyond Mary Jane,
But the fixation is always on MJ,
Bias conversation makes me tired

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
Not really. I was smoking pot before trudOWE was even born.
Get off the fawkin dope and buy a new sofa that doesn't have your a$$ and back print imbedded into the cushions.

Mushrooms to treat chronic depression??
add that to a T-bone smothered in onions and it would help

Might I suggest about a year of therapy and a few hundred yards of the old thorazine shuffle daily.:).

personal touch

House Member
Sep 17, 2014
alberta/B.C.
Mushrooms to treat chronic depression??
I don't know about that,I am a big believer if one is depressed no substances are good,so I don't agree with this action
In my house mushrooms are a treat,once or twice a year,if lucky three times,usually associated with good times as breaking away and kicking up my heels, sometimes with my partner,sometimes not
Not a worry in the world,fear disappears for a short,restful time
Mushrooms are proven to be benificial for the disorder of PTS,I am not sure how it is prescribed or what quantities ,
But I believe this theory