It’s not lies that people mind, it’s honesty

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Freedom of speech
Opinion

Did you hear the one about the ‘ugly’ disabled singer?

Do you think it’s OK to say someone’s ugly? Not to their face (if you could bear it), but in a context they might hear about. Or on TV, which might be saying it to their face if their face happened to be watching it on TV and the screen didn’t shatter. Some people would say it isn’t OK. Others would say it is. The rest of us would be a lot better off without either of those groups, in my opinion.

What I think the rest of us would say is, “It depends on your definition of ‘OK’.” If we take “OK” to mean “nice”, “polite”, “admirable” or “kind”, then it isn’t. But if, by OK, we simply mean “legal”, then of course it’s OK. And quite right too. It may not be a pleasant thing to do, the rest of us would say, but it should certainly be allowed.

Well, it’s not allowed in Canada. Comedian Mike Ward has just been fined $42,000 by the Quebec Human Rights Tribunal for a comic riff at the expense of Jérémy Gabriel, a young disabled singer, which culminated in the line: “I didn’t know what illness he had, so I Googled it and it turns out he’s just ugly.” Ward is incensed by the ruling and has responded with an Edinburgh fringe show, entitled “Freedom of Speech Isn’t Free”. Neither is putting on an Edinburgh fringe show, if memory serves me right. If I were his bank manager, I’d text him the first rule of holes.

more laffs

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...omedian-ugly-jeremy-gabriel-freedom-of-speech

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
That homely turd was making fun of someone else for being ugly? Wouldn't that be like Mentalfloss making fun of someone for being stupid?

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
well that certainly discriminates against black humor
ah....Quebeak
the show was anglais eh?
In a province where there are laws about what national language you can use
don't expect freedom of speech

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
This morning at the grocery store this fat and ugly b itch with a big cart and only a few items in it was standing besides it in the aisle trying to make up her mind what kind of canned soup to buy..
After about half a minute which seemed to me more like an hour....I was extremely politically correct.... coughed and said "They really should make the aisles wider, don't you think?"
I s hit you not....it took another half a minute to amble out of the way so I could squeeze by.....