Motorcycle registrations down Saskatchewan:

canuck50

Nov 11, 2011
Beside Ron in Regina
Motorcycle registrations down in Saskatchewan: StatsCan report

Well here is an interesting article on CBC news today.
mysask.com - CBC News Saskatchewan

After reading this I felt that being one of those that ride needs to address this. I have rode motorbikes, motorcycles for almost 50 years I feel this needs to be addressed.

The stats show how much Motorcycle and Moped registrations are down in Saskatchewan over the last 5 years. Well considering about 5 years ago the cost of insurance on a motorcycle has increased almost 900 percent, I wonder why. Lets look at the facts....
Firstly... The President and CEO of SGI in 2011 stated, "IN THE MEDIA no less" that he wanted to see all motorcycles and Mopeds off the streets and highways of saskatchewan because they were "TOO DANGERSOUS".
Now here in lies a problem, A)Profiling, B)Discriminating... Bikes and Mopeds are no more dangerous than the cars and trucks on the street. I guess my screwdriver and hammer are dangerous so they should never be brought out of my tool box. The problem is not the vehicle... ITS THE OPERATOR. Now if this same individual had said, I want to see all Purple and Orange colored drivers off the streets, He would have been brought up on human rights violations so fast it would make his head spin. Now he is clearly discriminating against those of us that ride motorcycles... But is anything done about that? NO... Has he been fired for discrimination? NO. Was he penalized? NO... Did he lose his job. NO. There seems to be a problem here.
Riding a motorcycle is no more inherently dangerous than walking across a street. DISTRACTED DRIVING is the real culprit, So here I ask. If I get caught for distracted driving, I get a ticket for 280.00 dollars approx.... Now for someone that makes 6 figures a year that is nothing.... but if I charge you 10% or even 5% of your annual income... Will that get the point across? But NO... Now we are being unreasonable. For someone that makes 6 figures a year, 280.00 is at most an inconvenience. For some poor slob working a part time minimum wage job... that is their entire paycheck for a month. Show me the equality. Sorry, ADHoooh squirrel kicked in there.
I admit, there are bad riders out there, I've seen a number and had my run ins with them.. And believe me, they get an earful... but the majority of riders I see are safe responsible and sensible riders. And believe me in close to 50 years of riding I have seen my fair share. There are good there are bad... but we the GOOD riders are not able or can't afford to insure our bikes because of a CROWN CORPORATION running the show. SGI's attitude, We're the only game in town, we set the rules.... Deal with it. Now little Johnny who has wrecked 3 motorcycles in 3 years for excessive speed, stunting, etc.... pays the same as me for his insurance as I do.. who has never, in again close to 50 years of riding, had an accident on said bike... But I have to pay for stupidity? Its time that the Government of Saskatchwan got its heads out of their collective posterior orrifices and realized why these numbers are where they are. Make SGI accountable and open competition for insurers to come and make them play on a level playing field. Just my thoughts.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
While there are no doubt some safe motorcycle drivers, I have seen enough to not wonder why insurance rates are high and also to not wonder why you hear about accidents involving them.

canuck50

Nov 11, 2011
Beside Ron in Regina
While there are no doubt some safe motorcycle drivers, I have seen enough to not wonder why insurance rates are high and also to not wonder why you hear about accidents involving them.
I have seen more motorcycle accidents involving CAGERS not paying attention than bikes at fault. On 3 seperate occasions myself, if it wasn't for the ability to ride and avoid collisions, I'd likely be dead. Drivers changing lanes without signalling or shoulder checking, Drivers signalling to make a turn, start said turn then decide... Oh I'm going to go straight. Drivers texting while driving in cages. That is just the 3 most recent. In my experience, and I think I can say I have a vast amount of miles on 2 wheels.... The majority of accidents involving motorcycles is caused by CAGERS. I've seen it way too often. Just last week my friend was almost run off the road by a woman that drives a NAPA delivery vehicle... He, and his wife were on their bike on the highway, This delivery driver tried to overtake them and purposely swerved into their lane while smiling at them with no need to. Tell me that isn't a problem? I know for a fact that it is. So really if you want to debate this... Im IN

WOW!! This is news in a Province that has 2 months of Summer and the rest of the year you're in a deep freeze.

In more news from Saskatchewan, Snowmobiles sales are up, and Water is wet.
I rode all year since March of 2015 barring about 7 or 8 days. Less than 6 total inches of accumulation of snow last winter... How much did you have?????? Forget it, Its a rhetorical question.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
I have been driving down a crowded road and have multiple motorcycles zip between the lanes at high speeds. I have seen then zip in and out of traffic in spaces that they barely fit. I have seen these more often than not so you get no sympathy from me. But like I said, I am sure there are some safe drivers out there. It is a shame your reputation is tarnished by the yahoos.

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
just built a nifty lil diamondback into a mid mount electric
1000 watts of fun and no insurance costs

just to keep up with the current Ebike craze here in ONT

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Having probably attended more accidents than anyone else on here I can say with some authority that cars don't hit bikes any more often than they hit each other. Ever seen a head on between two bikes? I have. Also been to a number of Harley rash incidents where lack of ability with a big bike was the only cause. BUt we are also seeing the same things on the water. Too many rich kids (of all ages) with toys they have no idea how to control.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
I have seen more motorcycle accidents involving CAGERS not paying attention than bikes at fault. .

CRAZY CAGERS!

Straight Outa Easy Rider Magazine!

I have been driving down a crowded road and have multiple motorcycles zip between the lanes at high speeds. I have seen then zip in and out of traffic in spaces that they barely fit. I have seen these more often than not so you get no sympathy from me. But like I said, I am sure there are some safe drivers out there. It is a shame your reputation is tarnished by the yahoos.

Absolutely! In every traffic jam you can see motorcycles driving between lanes.