Should Canada keep the Monarchy?

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Should Canada keep the Monarchy?

Turf 'em

I've heard all the excuses, and none of them have won my heart over to the monarchist camp.

1. "It's our heritage" - no, it's British heritage

2. "It's what distinguishes us from Americans" - no, if that's what you think really separates us from them, then you have a piss-poor idea of what a Canadian really is. Besides, if we insist on distinguishing ourselves from Americans based on meaningless trivialities, we might as well do something totally useful, like converting entirely to the metric system, etc.

3. "Keeping them saves a few bucks. The Queen is free" This is the worst one. This is the part of the Canadian psyche I don't like: when we think of money before substance. The price tag doesn't matter, what matters is the ability to unleash ourselves from years of cultural servitude. Even if you think it's benign and harmless, I have to stare at the Queen's mug everyday on my twenty dollar bills and coins reminding myself that we are still not entirely masters of our own house.

Your thoughts?

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Keeping a Queen all these years has cost a lot of money and dead soldiers. We should have spent the coin on beer.

Who exactly died because of the Queen?

My father-in-law, combat veteran of World War II in the Canadian Army, requested he be buried with the Union Jack, as he fought for King and Country..........

But he was a US citizen at the time, so it doesn't count.

:)

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Should Canada keep the monarchy? Of course, stupid question. Should the americans keep the presidency?

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Na! I say get rid of the old reptilian baby eater and all her kin. Deport the whole lot of them back to Germany from whence they came.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Who exactly died because of the Queen?

My father-in-law, combat veteran of World War II in the Canadian Army, requested he be buried with the Union Jack, as he fought for King and Country..........

But he was a US citizen at the time, so it doesn't count.

:)

What history exactly did you study? The all died serving the Crown. Hundreds of thousands of young men butchered to save and fatten the useless privilaged.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
What history exactly did you study? The all died serving the Crown. Hundreds of thousands of young men butchered to save and fatten the useless privilaged.

Yes, yes I know. Had we not been such suckers, we could all be goose-stepping around looking for Jews to burn.......

Sigh. The possibilities.

HarperCons

Council Member
Oct 18, 2015
That is because you are an arsehole, we expect no class nor any hint of understanding from you, and we are never disappointed.
Maybe you can worship arbitrary hierarchies unthinkingly, but that age is ending.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Yes, yes I know. Had we not been such suckers, we could all be goose-stepping around looking for Jews to burn.......

Sigh. The possibilities.

Mr Hitler had one chance in ten billion of conquering the world which he blew the day he invaded Russia. The combined Allied war effort paled to nothing compared to the Russian effort. Russia won the second world war, period.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC

Sigh. The possibilities.
There never was a possibility that Germany would occupy America. There never was any other reason to go to war than to profit from it. The reasons for war are never what is fed to the sheeple, who are then fed to the war machine. War is a racket.

Frankiedoodle

Electoral Member
Aug 21, 2015
Saskatchewan
Yes, Canada should keep the monarchy. It would take years to change our government. However, sadly, when our Queen steps down or passes I think that will be the end of the monarchy.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Reasons to keep the Monarchy:

1. It works

2. Getting rid of it would require extensive modification of the Constitution, which means opening it for all issues.

3. Just to remove the Crown would require unanimous consent across the provinces.....impossible.

4. Tradition.

5. The symbolism of forcing the Monarch to mouth the words of the representative of the people.....our triumph over the Divine Right of Kings.

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
I don't see a point to the monarchy. Any monarchy, in fact. They are dinosaurs politically. They just use up taxpayer's money, best spent on health or education. Some of your points are, well, silly. It's the 21st century. They perform no function. They are living statues.

Some constitutional changes are tough. This one isn't. The generations of monarchists are aging or dead. There would be little fight in Canada.

There are other, easier ways to make visitors to Canada happy. Historic reenactments involving dead monarchs will attract tourists with much less fuss and cost. Let some aboriginals and serge suited Mounties dance around on Parliament Hill for the people to photograph. Tie up a polar bear or two in some of the parks for the Euro folks or the Japanese to be eaten by. Scatter some totem poles around and decorate the downtown of some towns.

The divine right of kings was an explanation used hundreds of years ago to keep the peasants from chopping off the heads of aristocrats. Don't mess with me because if you do, you're really messing with God. It worked once upon a time, but is meaningless today.

Murphy

Executive Branch Member
Apr 12, 2013
Ontario
Mr Hitler had one chance in ten billion of conquering the world which he blew the day he invaded Russia. The combined Allied war effort paled to nothing compared to the Russian effort. Russia won the second world war, period.

Quite true.

Had Canada been a republic in 1939, I think they would have entered the war. I wasn't around at the time, so I can only go from family stories and historic documents. Regardless, it still took Parliament's okee-doodle to send troops anyway.

Then there's this fellow. He talked to ghosts and stuff. He has the face of a royalist, n'est pas?

Is Vicky holding the Holy Hand Grenade?

I do believe she is. That, or a fancy box with Prince Albert's family jewels inside.