Mark Steyn - Closing statement at Munk Debate on Global Refugee Crisis

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
The truth, is the truth, even when you don't want to hurt other people's feelings :lol:

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
I listened to the whole debate and I couldn't believe that Louise Arbour, who seems to be held in such high esteem by some people, is so naïve considering the positions she has held. Has she had blinders on all these years? She compares apples to oranges and basically feels that people who are anti-refugees are bigoted and racist when, in fact, that's simply not true.

And comparing immigration in the early 19th Century to immigration now is incredibly short-sighted. She wants to see the good in everyone - who doesn't? But the facts remain that we need to be very aware of who we are accepting into our "home" as the EU is now finding out. Not everyone has our best interests at heart.

She says she considers herself a "feminist" - I don't recall hearing her stand up against FMG, or honour killings because a female chose to dress according to her own wishes. When these issues were brought up by Mark and Nigel, she simply had nothing but distain for Mark by sarcastically stating that she didn't know he and Nigel were "feminists".

Simon Schama also made fun of Mark and Nigel for bringing up the sexual assaults and rapes of victims in Germany and Sweden stating that they seemed intent on bringing sex into the conversation. What Mark trying to explain (but obviously went over Louise and Simon's heads) was that some cultures clash and what is acceptable in one culture is not acceptable in ours and that we need to be aware of that.

The best that I heard from Simon was that he admitted that the Political elite in the EU, (and pretty much everywhere in my estimation) have failed to uphold what their country stands for and rather than integration they've forced their own citizens to accept (tolerate) the customs and cultures of those who came into the country rather then teaching them that men and women are equal; that FMG and honor killings are not allowed and will be punished with the full force of the law.

It is unprecedented that immigrants who have walked into the EU have no appreciation for where they are when they arrive and no appreciation for the help they receive. That didn't happen in the early 1900's - didn't matter where they came from. It's a different world out there now.

We cannot let our freedom of speech, our freedom to go about our business etc., give way to "accommodate" those who don't like us. We need to bend-over backwards for those who truly want to be here and to become Canadian in all aspects of life. They are free to practice their religion but they're not nor should they be free to practice their barbaric beliefs whether they be religious or cultural. We need to ensure that they know, right from the start, when they put their feet on our ground, that there are rules and they apply to EVERYONE. Have we got the political will to do that? If we don't want what's happening in the EU, we damn well better. The vast majority that come from the ME may well become good upstanding citizens; it's the few that have me worried because they can do so much damage as they did in Belgium, another point brought up in the debates.

Lets not be naïve; lets ensure that who comes here wants to be here for the better life we can offer; that they are grateful for our hospitality; that they take advantage of what we have to offer.

I have often thought that is I could afford it, I would travel the world and stay in the countries of my choice for a significant period of time so that I could experience the culture, the language and the food and I could share my language, culture and food with those that I met. I would also think that those countries would expect that from me. Why can't we expect it from others?

JMHO

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
And comparing immigration in the early 19th Century to immigration now is incredibly short-sighted. She wants to see the good in everyone - who doesn't?
Who, indeed?

But the facts remain that we need to be very aware of who we are accepting into our "home" as the EU is now finding out. Not everyone has our best interests at heart.

Remington1

Council Member
Jan 30, 2016
The one question these great debaters did not answer; "Why only one group? I've been to Greek Town, Little Italy, China Town, Brampton, etc. all places in the GTA area and all have concentration of one specific cultures. They seem okay, very busy running their restaurants, bagel shops, fruit markets, some richer, some poorer, pretty much the same as my neighbourhood? And this demographic segmentation is not exclusive to the GTA, whether in Paris, New York, London, Belgium, etc.. they all have the same pockets of different cultures. Why is this one so angry? Are terrorist cults hiding inside the Muslims communities? Ignoring it is no longer an option, that's clear now, our Leaders are paid to protect us, and they need to find answers, no one wants to see the next attack, it's sickening. It's a war declared directly at us regular Joe's/Jane's, but we are not given guns or strategist to even try to protect ourselves.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Steyn is knowledgeable and a quick wit so lefties will have trouble winning an argument against him.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
The one question these great debaters did not answer; "Why only one group? I've been to Greek Town, Little Italy, China Town, Brampton, etc. all places in the GTA area and all have concentration of one specific cultures. They seem okay, very busy running their restaurants, bagel shops, fruit markets, some richer, some poorer, pretty much the same as my neighbourhood? And this demographic segmentation is not exclusive to the GTA, whether in Paris, New York, London, Belgium, etc.. they all have the same pockets of different cultures. Why is this one so angry? Are terrorist cults hiding inside the Muslims communities? Ignoring it is no longer an option, that's clear now, our Leaders are paid to protect us, and they need to find answers, no one wants to see the next attack, it's sickening. It's a war declared directly at us regular Joe's/Jane's, but we are not given guns or strategist to even try to protect ourselves.
Don't know about up there, but down here, low-income Asian, Latino, and black communities have higher-than-average levels of violence. As did the Irish and Italians in their day.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Don't know about up there, but down here, low-income Asian, Latino, and black communities have higher-than-average levels of violence. As did the Irish and Italians in their day.
Were is this low income Asian area ?
Were I live the Asian's reside with the hoi polloi .

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Richmond West Vancouver the whole west side you name it .
The news is full of offshore money ( read Asian ) gobbleing up Vancouver and driving housing prices skyhigh .
Same thing in the GTA, the Asian community is very well-off and good for them.

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011

I clearly see a difference between criminal activity and waging war. I don't categorize the two in the same group.

A large portion of the immigrating population is very verbal about their intention of taking over all of Europe. I don't think you understand at how big of a scale it's happening.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
It's a well-deserved spanking

Jonathan Kay was a colleague of mine at The National Post for many years, and we have shared a stage and, on one occasion, a synagogue podium together. So I'm reluctant to go full shagged-sheep on an old friend. I will, however, observe that the great liberal virtue of "empathy" appears to be all but entirely absent among a certain type of Toronto male. Perhaps I've spent more time in Continental cities than Jonathan has, but the reality of what happened in Germany that night is very vivid to me. To translate it into local terms, given that Toronto is roughly two-and-a-half times the size of Cologne, it's the equivalent of about 1,200 women being sexually assaulted on New Year's Eve in front of Union Station or Queen's Park.

Would that not be ...unusual? And worthy of note?

Your Moral And Intellectual Superiors - Small Dead Animals

The New Man and his Gender Gap :: SteynOnline

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
It's a well-deserved spanking

Jonathan Kay was a colleague of mine at The National Post for many years, and we have shared a stage and, on one occasion, a synagogue podium together. So I'm reluctant to go full shagged-sheep on an old friend. I will, however, observe that the great liberal virtue of "empathy" appears to be all but entirely absent among a certain type of Toronto male. Perhaps I've spent more time in Continental cities than Jonathan has, but the reality of what happened in Germany that night is very vivid to me. To translate it into local terms, given that Toronto is roughly two-and-a-half times the size of Cologne, it's the equivalent of about 1,200 women being sexually assaulted on New Year's Eve in front of Union Station or Queen's Park.

Would that not be ...unusual? And worthy of note?

Your Moral And Intellectual Superiors - Small Dead Animals

The New Man and his Gender Gap :: SteynOnline

But the left has a point. Why should males care about a bunch of feminist women getting raped?

I know I don't. Why should I? All they care for is themselves.