How is Mental Illness Measured

Frankiedoodle

Electoral Member
Aug 21, 2015
Saskatchewan
I have had it up, to about the gills, with this asinine talk, after every murder, that guns should not be sold to those with mental illness.

Everyone can snap sometime. Look at the people who get caught up in road rage. Those, who 2 minutes before, had been driving along listening to their radio, turn into raging animals.

The same with the worker who is fired and takes a gun to work and shoots anyone he can.

That isn't what I meant to talk about. It is estimated that 1 in 5 will suffer from a serious mental illness during their lifetime. If you know 4 other people, either you or one of them is going to suffer. I don't know how big a town or city that you live in but I strongly doubt that you can tell that 20% either have, or will have a mental illness.

The DSM5 (the psychiatrists bible) is what is used to diagnose mental illness and then indicate what treatment. That book is over 500 pages. You would be surprised at what qualifies as a MI. There are the ones that you would expect, but also if a child throws a tantrum they suffer from one of the inclusions.

Canniabis withdrawl-"several cannabis withdrawl symptoms that interfered with people's ability to function normally, including loss of appetite, nightmares and "imagining being stoned (cravings)
Disruptive Mood Dysregulation Disorder-limited to children under 18. Can be interpreted by some parents as applicable anytime you have a temper tantrum. However if this has never been successfully treated for extreme, explosive rages.
Hoarding
Caffeine withdrawl
Restless Leg Syndrome
Childhood disorders virtually all reclassified. No more

There are 33 million in Canada, so very conservatively there are 6 million people with a mental illness.
How would there be any way for government officials to pick out someone who submits a written application as a possible murderer.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
We still treat the brain as a magical thing with very little understanding of it.

Mental illness is measured by how negatively it impacts your life. It's unpredictable.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
PBS FRONTLINE INTERVIEWER: Skeptics say that there’s no biological marker—that it [ADHD] is the one condition out there where there is no blood test, and that no one knows what causes it.
BARKLEY: That’s tremendously naïve, and it shows a great deal of illiteracy about science and about the mental health professions. A disorder doesn’t have to have a blood test to be valid. If that were the case, all mental disorders would be invalid… There is no lab test for any mental disorder right now in our science. That doesn’t make them invalid. [Emphasis added]
Oh, indeed, that does make them invalid. Utterly and completely. All 297 mental disorders. They’re all hoaxes. Because there are no defining tests of any kind to back up the diagnosis.
You can sway and tap dance and bloviate all you like and you won’t escape the noose around your neck. We are looking at a science that isn’t a science. That’s called fraud. Rank fraud.
There’s more. Under the radar, one of the great psychiatric stars, who has been out in front inventing mental disorders, went public. He blew the whistle on himself and his colleagues. And for years, almost no one noticed.
His name is Dr. Allen Frances, and he made VERY interesting statements to Gary Greenberg, author of a Wired article: “Inside the Battle to Define Mental Illness.” (Dec.27, 2010).
Major media never picked up on the interview in any serious way. It never became a scandal.
Dr. Allen Frances is the man who, in 1994, headed up the project to write the latest edition of the psychiatric bible, the DSM-IV. This tome defines and labels and describes every official mental disorder. The DSM-IV eventually listed 297 of them.
In an April 19, 1994, New York Times piece, “Scientist At Work,” Daniel Goleman called Frances “Perhaps the most powerful psychiatrist in America at the moment…”
Well, sure. If you’re sculpting the entire canon of diagnosable mental disorders for your colleagues, for insurers, for the government, for Pharma (who will sell the drugs matched up to the 297 DSM-IV diagnoses), you’re right up there in the pantheon.
Long after the DSM-IV had been put into print, Dr. Frances talked to Wired’s Greenberg and said the following:
“There is no definition of a mental disorder. It’s bull****. I mean, you just can’t define it.”
BANG.
That’s on the order of the designer of the Hindenburg, looking at the burned rubble on the ground, remarking, “Well, I knew there would be a problem.
Taking Apart Psychiatry: Fraud-Kings of the*Mind : Waking Times

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
We still treat the brain as a magical thing with very little understanding of it.

Mental illness is measured by how negatively it impacts your life. It's unpredictable.
Not an exact science that's for sure. Who knows why the brain is off kilter? They say chemical imbalance. dopamine, serotonin , norepinephrine levels are not correct, this that and the other. The neuro recepters or transmitters aren't firing properly blah blah blah. Maybe someone has gone through a traumatic event and they just lost it . That doesn't mean they have a chemical imbalance yet they are given meds as if they do. It's trial and error in that science . I think the brain is much too complex to nail it down to an exact science.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Not everybody can be right.

ADHD is not a mental illness. It's a lack of dopamine production in the brain.

There are many conditions where blood can not be used to test for.

Alzheimers for one. Pretty sure it's not a made up illness...

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek

True to a point. There are amazing discoveries being made about the brain and how it works as scientist using new technologies delve deeper into its mysteries.

Or, how negatively you let it impact your life.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Not everybody can be right.

ADHD is not a mental illness. It's a lack of dopamine production in the brain.

There are many conditions where blood can not be used to test for.

Alzheimers for one. Pretty sure it's not a made up illness...

ADHD is comorbid with epilepsy and motor tics.

Whatever is behind it is very bloody complex.

I hope better treatments than methylphenidate arise. That crap is basically synthetic cocaine.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Fat makes good stew. So there's some kind of relationship with mind and fats and acids and voltage

Some people take to grounding for relief of a long list of conditions, apparently we spend a lot of time insulated fro the best purchase to the earth, it impairs our conduction, fuks up our resistance and lessons our capacitity which contributes to circuit malfunctions, impeded reasoning.

Frankiedoodle

Electoral Member
Aug 21, 2015
Saskatchewan
ADHD is a mental illness.
When it comes to Alzheimer's, doctors have a range of tests that they do to determine if dementia is present. Alzheimer's can really only be determined after death.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Fat makes good stew. So there's some kind of relationship with mind and fats and acids and voltage

Some people take to grounding for relief of a long list of conditions, apparently we spend a lot of time insulated fro the best purchase to the earth, it impairs our conduction, fuks up our resistance and lessons our capacitity which contributes to circuit malfunctions, impeded reasoning.

Hug a tree.

It's mostly fat. If someone calls you a fat head, it is a compliment.

Good fat helps give flavor to the stew.

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
I think you mean a saguaro? Magnificent cacti. Had my pic taken beside many of them. Never wanted to hug one though. A big old Douglas Fir is much more to my liking. :smile:
I backed into one a few years back and it took the nurse about an hour to get all the barbed hooks out. All puncture wounds I couldn't walk for a week.