Free movement proposed between Canada, U.K, Australia, New Zealand

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Free movement proposed between Canada, U.K, Australia, New Zealand

James Skinner says free movement of citizens already occurs in the EU, and between Australia and New Zealand

When James Skinner moved from the United Kingdom to Australia, he fell in love with Melbourne, landed a great job, met a great group of friends, settled down in his new home — only to leave because permanent residency was much harder to obtain than he anticipated.

Skinner, who now lives in Vancouver, says he fears the same experience could happen again.

"We are virtually the same people," he told The Early Edition's Rick Cluff, referring to countries within the Commonwealth.

"The only thing that divides us is the cover of our passports."

Skinner, who is the founder and executive director of the Commonwealth Freedom of Movement Organization, is calling on politicians in Canada, the U.K., Australia and New Zealand to loosen restrictions on visas and work permits between the four countries.

He says citizens within the European Union can work and reside indefinitely in each of the 28 member states, and a similar policy occurs between Australia and New Zealand.

There's no reason why something similar can't happen between Canada, the U.K., Australia and New Zealand, he argued.

"We've had that Commonwealth tie for generations and decades in the past, we've stuck together through thick and thin, [we] share the same head of state, the same native language, the same respect for the common law," he said.

"It's not something completely out there that we're proposing."

The Commonwealth Freedom of Movement Organization's petition has already gathered nearly 25,000 online signatures.

Skinner says he plans to send the petition to politicians in New Zealand and Australia, and then to the Canadian and British governments, pending elections in each respective country.

source: Free movement proposed between Canada, U.K, Australia, New Zealand - British Columbia - CBC News

I'd move to Brisbane, AU.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
James Skinner says free movement of citizens already occurs in the EU

And that, as we have seen, has turned out to be pretty disastrous.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
We used to have pretty much free movement between Canada and the US and the Americans ended it abruptly, so that ain't going to happen. It might within the Commonwealth, though.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
We used to have pretty much free movement between Canada and the US and the Americans ended it abruptly, so that ain't going to happen. It might within the Commonwealth, though.

The free movement of people rule has been disastrous in the EU, as we have seen (thank God Britain was wise enough to stay out of Schengen, just as she was wise enough to stay out of the euro). Why introduce such a law elsewhere? I don't want thousands of Canado-Mexicans flooding into Britain.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
The free movement of people rule has been disastrous in the EU, as we have seen (thank God Britain was wise enough to stay out of Schengen, just as she was wise enough to stay out of the euro). Why introduce such a law elsewhere? I don't want thousands of Canado-Mexicans flooding into Britain.

You ever been to Europe? Free movement between EU members is one of the nicest things about touring the continent. And contrary to your uninformed comment Schengen has added billions to the EU economy by encouraging free movement of goods and people. What's next, are you going to oppose free movement of goods and people between Canadian provinces or US states?

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
You ever been to Europe?

I live in Europe.

Free movement between EU members is one of the nicest things about touring the continent.
Bull****. The events in recent months have proved that the EU's free movement of people rule has been an abject failure.

And contrary to your uninformed comment Schengen has added billions to the EU economy
Schengen has been a disaster and its on its last legs over what has happened in recent months. Britain and Ireland were right to stay out of it, just as Britain was right to stay out of the euro and keep the pound.

In fact, Schengen has been such a disaster lately that Eurocrats are planning on suspending it for at least two years - something which would be a huge blow to the EU and could lead to its collapse in the near future, whether or not Britain votes to leave.

Last edited:

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island

No worries there. No one wants to go to your depressing little rock. Ireland is the place to go.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Ireland is the place to go.

Not since its euro-inspired economic crash. Being in the euro rather than keeping the pound, as Britain wisely did, means Ireland has its interest rates controlled by the European Central Bank in Germany, which are always set to benefit Germany and Germany only. Thus, the eurozone interest rates set by the ECB were too low for Ireland's benefit, leading to its disastrous 2008 economic collapse and the end of the "Celtic Tiger." Meanwhile, Britain's economy outpaces the rest of Europe. Britain, of course, wisely kept out of the euro and thus can alway set its own interest rates to suit itself.

Last edited:

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
Bull****. The events in recent months have proved that the EU's free movement of people rule has been an abject failure.

Schengen has been a disaster and its on its last legs over what has happened in recent months. Britain and Ireland were right to stay out of it, just as Britain was right to stay out of the euro and keep the pound.

In fact, Schengen has been such a disaster lately that Eurocrats are planning on suspending it for at least two years - something which would be a huge blow to the EU and could lead to its collapse in the near future, whether or not Britain votes to leave.

I note that you don't provide any proof of your assertions. The reason for the temporary shutdown of Schengen is entirely due to the uncontrolled flow of refugees and nothing to with any failure in its economic advantages. In fact the temporary shutdown will probably cost the EU billions. Slowing down trade and commerce never benefits anyone. Opening borders only makes sense if you want to increase trade and commerce between any nations. BTW such movement as proposed in the petition used to exist up until the 1980s.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
I note that you don't provide any proof of your assertions.

Neither do you. You're just taking the swivel-eyed europhile line.

The reason for the temporary shutdown of Schengen is entirely due to the uncontrolled flow of refugees and nothing to with any failure in its economic advantages.
Whatever economic advantages Schengen may have (and I don't think there are that many), it has still been a complete and utter failure - just like the euro, something else wise Britain decided against joining. Schengen allows illegal immigrants to travel freely among its member states and many people have expressed concerns that many of these may be terrorists. It was Schengen which allowed that attempted terror attack on a French train to occur, with the terrorist having obtained his gun in Belgium. He was able to freely move across the Belgium-French border.

The fact is that the EU's free movement of people rule has been a complete and abject failure and I don't see why a similar thing should be set up within the Commonwealth. Countries should have control over their own borders.

In fact the temporary shutdown will probably cost the EU billions.
I sure hope so. I'm hoping its temporary shutdown will destroy the EU completely and bring an end to it.

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
Personally I always wondered why this isn't a standard? I think there should be benefits to being in the Commonwealth other than just saying so. Even if there was extra consideration or something when applying to move to say Australia or Britain because we come from Canada - or elsewhere - would be, actually, pretty awesome. It'd open doors not just for the flow of people for work, but education too. Not sure how hard it is to go to school outside of Canada - or for outsiders to come in - but if part of the Commonwealth, it should be easier, AND say, being able to maybe even become a perm. resident of said country if you like it after your education? Much easier. Health coverages too maybe could be discussed...

Other than "Oh I don't like it", what problems would there be with it?

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Other than "Oh I don't like it", what problems would there be with it?

Why don't you take a lot at the problems that free movement of people have caused within the EUSSR? It was free movement of people which allowed that Muzzie terrorist to get hold of a gun in Belgium and then freely cross the border into France to try and commit a terrorist attack on a train (that incident where, as usual, the Yanks tried to claim all the credit for ending it despite the fact that the first people to apprehend the would-be terrorist were French).

With the free movement of people rule on the verge of complete collapse in the EUSSR, why replicate it elsewhere?

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
Neither do you. You're just taking the swivel-eyed europhile line.

Whatever economic advantages Schengen may have (and I don't think there are that many), it has still been a complete and utter failure - just like the euro, something else wise Britain decided against joining. Schengen allows illegal immigrants to travel freely among its member states and many people have expressed concerns that many of these may be terrorists. It was Schengen which allowed that attempted terror attack on a French train to occur, with the terrorist having obtained his gun in Belgium. He was able to freely move across the Belgium-French border.

The fact is that the EU's free movement of people rule has been a complete and abject failure and I don't see why a similar thing should be set up within the Commonwealth. Countries should have control over their own borders.
Two more unproved assertions. I guess we will just have to agree to disagree. Just a thought though - would you be in favour of tariff and movement barriers within the country you live in?

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Two more unproved assertions. I guess we will just have to agree to disagree. Just a thought though - would you be in favour of tariff and movement barriers within the country you live in?

I'm sure that most of the English would be delighted to stick it to the Welsh, Scots and Irish any way that they can.

Of course, we've just found out that Blackadder lives in Europe (as if the UK isn't in Europe).

Blackleaf the Greek.

Got a job, Blackleaf?

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
My g/f in Germany lives near the Belgium border and works both in Germany and Belgium. I'm thinking that the free movement part is why she is able to do so and not having the free borders would definitely impact her income. However, if the EU had never had open borders to begin with, she'd almost certainly have set-up her business differently, I'm thinking.

Having said that, I agree with Blackleaf in that these open borders have created the problems the EU now has and makes it almost impossible to control who is coming and going.

As for the Commonwealth, it might work better because we're not physically "connected". We can have so-called "open borders" and still have control over them so its not the same as the EU at all, so it might work.

JMHO

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
I don't want thousands of Canado-Mexicans flooding into Britain.

I don't think need worry about that. History shows Brittish folk are far more interested in coming to our shores. Your Country is a shytehole. Been there once and have no interest in ever going back. Been to Mexico lots and try to go back every year.