'Martin Luther King Jr. Fun Shoot' flyers removed, U.S. air force base apologizes

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
'Martin Luther King Jr. Fun Shoot' flyers removed, U.S. air force base apologizes
Postmedia Network
First posted: Friday, January 15, 2016 05:31 PM EST | Updated: Friday, January 15, 2016 05:35 PM EST
A U.S. air force base in Georgia that advertised a "Martin Luther King Jr. Fun Shoot" has apologized.
Flyers for the Robins Air Force Base fun day, scheduled for Jan. 19 -- a national day of remembrance of King, who was gunned down on April 4, 1968, at a Memphis motel -- have been removed.
"We're deeply sorry for any offence or harm caused by our insensitivity and failure to provide appropriate oversight of our marketing process," Robins spokesman Roland Leach told WMAZ TV in an e-mail Thursday. "There was no malice of forethought in the flyer's creation ... It was an honest mistake."
The trap, skeet and clay-shooting event still appears to be on, but is no longer being advertised.
The posters, featuring King's image, started going up in late December and the public quickly reacted with anger.
"This is at best tasteless," Jacqueline Michele McLaine Welch, a woman who lives in Atlanta, commented on Facebook.
A poster showing the Martin Luther King Jr. Fun Shoot is pictured in this undated photo posted to Facebook. Handout/Postmedia Network

'Martin Luther King Jr. Fun Shoot' flyers removed, U.S. air force base apologize

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Ouch but in this day and age I think no one thought that when you add
a name to a fun shoot it is a blueprint for trouble, The John Smith fun
shoot, or any other name but not King Jr. Historic significance in the
area where he was murdered might raise a few eye brows.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
It's typical in the West in this day and age. As soon as anyone does anything that's even remotely fun our humourless leaders come along and stamp it out.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
There to go, Blackleaf. Blame the Fuzzy-Wuzzies, eh wot?

No. I blame the mini Hitlers who ordered them to stop partaking in some harmless fun.

It's like those eejit councillors a few years ago who stopped people at a St George's Day event in an English village from firing arrows at a dragon because the dragon was the one on the Welsh flag. They turned up at the village wearing, no doubt, their obligatory hard hats and hi-viz jackets carrying clipboards and ordered the villagers to stop firing arrows at the Welsh flag because it was.... yes, you guessed it, "racist."

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
... and you are a Brit.
Bwaaahahaha!!!!

No, Sons is an American.

Whose posts and debates I miss dearly. Sons and I have had a few debates by way of long distance calls. He's truly a wise wise dude. Probably one of the single greatest influences on my about face on many a topic.