Muslim Reform Movement

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Muslim Reform Movement

Here is something interesting, what the Here's what 21st Century Muslim might very well look like..

https://www.facebook.com/Muslim-Reform-Movement-462078103964443/

• We reject interpretations of Islam that call for any violence, social injustice and politicized Islam. We invite our fellow Muslims and neighbors to join us.
  • We reject bigotry, oppression and violence against all people based on any prejudice, including ethnicity, gender, language, belief, religion, sexual orientation and gender expression.
  • We are for secular governance, democracy and liberty.
  • Every individual has the right to publicly express criticism of Islam. Ideas do not have rights. Human beings have rights.
  • We stand for peace, human rights and secular governance. Please stand with us!

Their Declaration:

Preamble

We are Muslims who live in the 21st century. We stand for a respectful, merciful and inclusive interpretation of Islam. We are in a battle for the soul of Islam, and an Islamic renewal must defeat the ideology of Islamism, or politicized Islam, which seeks to create Islamic states, as well as an Islamic caliphate. We seek to reclaim the progressive spirit with which Islam was born in the 7th century to fast forward it into the 21st century. We support the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, which was adopted by United Nations member states in 1948.

We reject interpretations of Islam that call for any violence, social injustice and politicized Islam. Facing the threat of terrorism, intolerance, and social injustice in the name of Islam, we have reflected on how we can transform our communities based on three principles: peace, human rights and secular governance. We are announcing today the formation of an international initiative: the Muslim Reform Movement.

We have courageous reformers from around the world who will outline our Declaration for Muslim Reform, a living document that we will continue to enhance as our journey continues. We invite our fellow Muslims and neighbors to join us.

DECLARATION

A. Peace: National Security, Counterterrorism and Foreign Policy

1. We stand for universal peace, love and compassion. We reject violent jihad. We believe we must target the ideology of violent Islamist extremism in order to liberate individuals from the scourge of oppression and terrorism both in Muslim-majority societies and the West.

2. We stand for the protection of all people of all faiths and non-faith who seek freedom from dictatorships, theocracies and Islamist extremists.

3. We reject bigotry, oppression and violence against all people based on any prejudice, including ethnicity, gender, language, belief, religion, sexual orientation and gender expression.

B. Human Rights: Women's Rights and Minority Rights

1. We stand for human rights and justice. We support equal rights and dignity for all people, including minorities. We support the United Nations Declaration of Human Rights.

2. We reject tribalism, castes, monarchies and patriarchies and consider all people equal with no birth rights other than human rights. All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights. Muslims don't have an exclusive right to "heaven."

3. We support equal rights for women, including equal rights to inheritance, witness, work, mobility, personal law, education, and employment. Men and women have equal rights in mosques, boards, leadership and all spheres of society. We reject sexism and misogyny.

C. Secular Governance: Freedom of Speech and Religion

1. We are for secular governance, democracy and liberty. We are against political movements in the name of religion. We separate mosque and state. We are loyal to the nations in which we live. We reject the idea of the Islamic state. There is no need for an Islamic caliphate. We oppose institutionalized sharia. Sharia is manmade.

2. We believe in life, joy, free speech and the beauty all around us. Every individual has the right to publicly express criticism of Islam. Ideas do not have rights. Human beings have rights. We reject blasphemy laws. They are a cover for the restriction of freedom of speech and religion. We affirm every individual's right to participate equally in ijtihad, or critical thinking, and we seek a revival of ijtihad.

3. We believe in freedom of religion and the right of all people to express and practice their faith, or non-faith, without threat of intimidation, persecution, discrimination or violence. Apostasy is not a crime. Our ummah--our community--is not just Muslims, but all of humanity.

We stand for peace, human rights and secular governance. Please stand with us!

Affirmed this Fourth Day of December, Two-Thousand and Fifteen By the founding authors who are signatories below

Founding Signatories

Tahir Gora,
Author, Journalist, Activist, Toronto, Canada

Tawfik Hamid
Islamic Thinker and Reformer, Oakton, VA, USA

Usama Hasan
Imam, Quilliam Foundation, London, UK

Arif Humayun
Senior Fellow, American Islamic Forum for Democracy, Portland, OR, USA

Farahnaz Ispahani
Author, Former Member of Parliament, Pakistan, Washington, D.C., USA

M. Zuhdi Jasser, M.D.
President, American Islamic Forum for Democracy, Phoenix, AZ USA

Mohamad Jebara
Imam, Cordova Center, Ottawa, Canada

Naser Khader
Member, Danish Parliament, Muslim democracy activist
Copenhagen, Denmark

Courtney Lonergan
Community Outreach Director, American Islamic Forum for Democracy, Professional facilitator

Hasan Mahmud
Resident expert in sharia, Muslims Facing Tomorrow, Toronto, Canada

Asra Nomani
Journalist, Author, Morgantown, WV, USA

Raheel Raza
Founder, Muslims Facing Tomorrow, Toronto, Canada

Sohail Raza
Vice President, Coalition of Progressive Canadian Muslim Organizations

Salma Siddiqui
President, Coalition of Progressive Canadian Muslim Organizations, Toronto, Canada

These are all VERY brave people who are genuinely putting their lives and the lives of their loved ones on the line with this revolutionary statement.

I suggest you 'Like' their Facebook page in order to show your support.

davesmom

Council Member
Oct 11, 2015
Southern Ontario
Now if they gave their group of reformers a new name they might seem more convincing.
When Christians broke away from their oppressive rulers, they became Protestants, who then continued to evolve into Presbyterians, Baptists, Methodists and many other denominations. The original Christian name, Catholics is still retained and considered a separate religion.
Possibly, if they are truly dedicated to this movement, they will choose a new name too for their splinter religion.
Yes, they are brave to publicly declare their intentions for the fundamentalists of Islam will undoubtedly be 'offended'.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Now if they gave their group of reformers a new name they might seem more convincing.
When Christians broke away from their oppressive rulers, they became Protestants, who then continued to evolve into Presbyterians, Baptists, Methodists and many other denominations. The original Christian name, Catholics is still retained and considered a separate religion.
Possibly, if they are truly dedicated to this movement, they will choose a new name too for their splinter religion.
Yes, they are brave to publicly declare their intentions for the fundamentalists of Islam will undoubtedly be 'offended'.

"Catholics" is considered a separate religion?

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton

They're not starting a "new religion" - they are fighting to bring the old one into the 21st Century! Raza has actually received death threats for daring to even suggest that Muslims stand up to the extremists. As she has repeatedly said, their God is NOT my God! She's a wonderful lady and kudos to those who stand with her!

JMHO

davesmom

Council Member
Oct 11, 2015
Southern Ontario
They're not starting a "new religion" - they are fighting to bring the old one into the 21st Century! Raza has actually received death threats for daring to even suggest that Muslims stand up to the extremists. As she has repeatedly said, their God is NOT my God! She's a wonderful lady and kudos to those who stand with her!

JMHO

Of course they are not establishing a new religion, just reforming the old version. But my point about adopting a new name is for their own image.
People who have formed a negative opinion about Islam in general will probably be skeptical about their declaration of reform. They may see it as a ploy, as when Hitler snowed Chamberlain to believe that there would be 'peace in our time'.
A new name for their 'reformed' religious declaration would not mean that they are not Muslims; it would just help to disassociate them in the public eye from the violent doctrine of the fundamentalist Muslims.
Just as all Catholics, Presbyterians, Baptists, United, Anglican, etc. all fall under the umbrella of Christianity, they do not all incorporate the word 'Christian' in their group names.

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
Of course they are not establishing a new religion, just reforming the old version. But my point about adopting a new name is for their own image.
People who have formed a negative opinion about Islam in general will probably be skeptical about their declaration of reform. They may see it as a ploy, as when Hitler snowed Chamberlain to believe that there would be 'peace in our time'.
A new name for their 'reformed' religious declaration would not mean that they are not Muslims; it would just help to disassociate them in the public eye from the violent doctrine of the fundamentalist Muslims.
Just as all Catholics, Presbyterians, Baptists, United, Anglican, etc. all fall under the umbrella of Christianity, they do not all incorporate the word 'Christian' in their group names.

Ok fine, I get your point. What name would you suggest? How about The Anti-Islamic Extremist Reform Movement? aka AISERM?

Just askin'....

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Make one that fits this and it points to Muslims giving up all rights even when they are a clear majority.
YESSIR

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Do you trust Coke as much since they changed formula, name, can?

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
These are all VERY brave people who are genuinely putting their lives and the lives of their loved ones on the line with this revolutionary statement.
I am sure to a cowardly drama queen like you, this must seem incredibly brave

davesmom

Council Member
Oct 11, 2015
Southern Ontario
Ok fine, I get your point. What name would you suggest? How about The Anti-Islamic Extremist Reform Movement? aka AISERM?

Just askin'....

That should be up to the ones involved in the movement for change. I am not Muslim so I wouldn't suggest any kind of name. . My suggestion for adopting a new name was only my private observation.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
I see no need for them to change their name, they are bringing a faith to a modern
entity not changing the religion. And Catholics are not separate I grew up Catholic
don't go the church anymore but they were never separate. In fact go look at the
bible there is some pretty brutal crap in their too and what happened Catholics and
the Protestant all rejected the violent past. By the way Martin Luther was once a
Catholic Priest

davesmom

Council Member
Oct 11, 2015
Southern Ontario
I see no need for them to change their name, they are bringing a faith to a modern
entity not changing the religion. And Catholics are not separate I grew up Catholic
don't go the church anymore but they were never separate. In fact go look at the
bible there is some pretty brutal crap in their too and what happened Catholics and
the Protestant all rejected the violent past. By the way Martin Luther was once a
Catholic Priest

I think you are missing my whole point here. You don't see the Catholic Church called 'the Christian Catholic Church',
or 'The Christian Dutch Reform Church', or 'The Christian Baptist Church'.
They are all Christian churches but they indicate their different beliefs by adopting different names. The whole point of adopting different names was so that people would not associate them with each other and know that they held different creeds.

And furthermore, they ARE separate from each other. One of my best friends was a devout Catholic. I am not. We had some interesting discussions about our religions and they were very different from each other. One glaring difference was that I could go to her church any time I wanted but she could not go to my church unless she got permission from the priest.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
I am sure to a cowardly drama queen like you, this must seem incredibly brave

You Still being your usual troll idiot self, eh Cannuck. Many of these individuals have family back in the Middle East, who may become targets of reprisals, as well as their own lives could be threaten in the USA.

But you want to take away from their bravery with a stupid immature troll post.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
I think you are missing my whole point here. You don't see the Catholic Church called 'the Christian Catholic Church',
or 'The Christian Dutch Reform Church', or 'The Christian Baptist Church'.
They are all Christian churches but they indicate their different beliefs by adopting different names. The whole point of adopting different names was so that people would not associate them with each other and know that they held different creeds.

And furthermore, they ARE separate from each other. One of my best friends was a devout Catholic. I am not. We had some interesting discussions about our religions and they were very different from each other. One glaring difference was that I could go to her church any time I wanted but she could not go to my church unless she got permission from the priest.
I never had to get permission from the priest to visit another church . I was not allowed to partake in communion though .