You don't say...

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Scientists find a link between low intelligence and acceptance of 'pseudo-profound bulls***'

Those who are impressed by wise-sounding quotes are also more likely to believe in conspiracy theories and the paranormal

Those who are more receptive to pseudo-profound new-age statements are more likely to have lower intelligence and a greater faith in alternative medicine, the study found John Minihan/Express/Getty Images A new scientific study has found that those who are receptive to pseudo-profound, intellectual-sounding 'bulls***' are less intelligent, less reflective, and more likely to be believe in conspiracy theories, the paranormal and alternative medicine.

PhD candidate Gordon Pennycook and a team of researchers from the University of Waterloo in Ontario, Canada, tested hundreds of participants to make the link, detailing their findings in a paper entitled 'On the reception and detection of pseudo-profound bulls***', which mentions the word 'bulls***' exactly 200 times (surely some sort of record).

Defining bulls*** is a tricky task, but Pennycook and his team tried their best in the paper.

As an example, they gave the following 'pseudo-profound' statement: "Hidden meaning transforms unparalleled abstract beauty."

The paper says: "Although this statement may seem to convey some sort of potentially profound meaning, it is merely a collection of buzzwords put together randomly in a sentence that retains syntactic structure."

mo

Scientists find a link between low intelligence and acceptance of 'pseudo-profound bulls***' | Science | News | The Independent

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Almost 300 test subjects were asked to rate the profundity of these sentences on a scale of one to five.

Scientific?

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
What are the odds of that being always right as there is usually an exception to the rule?

100% in my case. That's just because I know to STFU when I don't know something. A few people here could learn a lesson from me

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
So you're just as dumb as petros.

Good to know.
Awww, you still believe the silly consensus story. How adorable. Tell me how, when only one third of the scientists that were sent the survey actually responded, 97% of one third equals a consensus on anything.

What you know about anything would fit into a thimble with plenty of room left for that fridge temp IQ of yours.

davesmom

Council Member
Oct 11, 2015
Southern Ontario
OMG! How profound!
Like a scientific study was needed to determine who has low intelligence? Seems like needing a study to determine who has low intelligence is a sign of low intelligence.
Oh well, I guess it provided some jobs and ensured future scientific funding.