B.C. First Nations could be awarded millions for Canada’s 65-year-old mistake

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
B.C. First Nations could be awarded millions for Canada’s 65-year-old mistake

FORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – Two British Columbia First Nations could be compensated millions for a mistake the Canadian government made 65 years ago.

The Specific Claims Tribunal has ruled that Canada breached its fiduciary duty to the Doig River and Blueberry River First Nations during a botched land purchase in 1950.

At the time, veterans returning from the Second World War needed land and housing, and the nations agreed to give up their reserve in northeastern B.C. for that purpose.

The federal government bought a replacement reserve for the bands, without realizing it had not secured the rights to the oil and gas supply beneath the surface of the current reserve.

Justice Larry Whalen says Canada failed to adequately investigate the title it was acquiring on behalf of the First Nations, and did nothing to fix its mistake when it discovered it two years later.

The maximum amount the tribunal can award is any such dispute is $150 million, but another hearing will be held to determine whether the nations are entitled to compensation.

source: B.C. First Nations could be awarded millions for Canada’s 65-year-old mistake | Globalnews.ca

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
I guess it would have been too difficult for the bands to secure the mineral rights themselves. Most of us do not own the mineral rights to our own property.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
I guess Analfloss won't be posting these types of threads anymore since his beloved is now PM.

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
I guess it would have been too difficult for the bands to secure the mineral rights themselves. Most of us do not own the mineral rights to our own property.
That's not how the system worked it was the gov't doing everything and natives weren't allowed to represent themselves.

A similar case near Squamish meant the gov't was found responsible for some surveying errors made ages ago and they paid.