Bier Markt's skimpy dress code called 'sexist and discriminatory'

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Bier Markt's skimpy dress code called 'sexist and discriminatory'

A company that owns several popular restaurant chains across the country has changed a new uniform policy that forced female servers at Bier Markt locations to wear revealing dresses to work after Go Public made inquiries.

CBC News investigates ​

"I was upset that I had to squeeze my body into something that small," said Tierney Angus, a server at the Bier Markt in Toronto's west end.

"The material is almost bathing suit-like. It is very tight, very skimpy. I went up a size and my boyfriend commented he could see my tailbone through it."

Angus has worked at the restaurant since it opened three years ago. Cara Operations Ltd. owns Bier Markt and several other restaurants including Milestones, Montana's Cookhouse, Swiss Chalet, Harvey's and more.

The uniform changes kicked in on Oct. 5, and affected employees at Bier Markt locations in Ontario and Quebec.

Under the new policy, the old gender-neutral uniform — black pants and golf shirt — were replaced.

Male servers were told they could wear jeans, a button-down shirt and Converse runners. Women were told they had to wear a short, sleeveless blue dress and heels or boots, with no jackets, sweaters or thick tights.

"One of the girls I work with mentioned you could see her underwear and the suggestion by my general manager was that she wear a thong if she didn't want her underwear to show, which is totally inappropriate. It's an extra requirement of the female staff that the men don't have to comply with. No one is asking them to wear a thong," she said.

..more...

Bier Markt's skimpy dress code called 'sexist and discriminatory' - Business - CBC News

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Forgot to mention the company has already backed down, mentalfloss. This "news" is only good for wrapping fish and producing OUTRAGE!

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Nothing wrong in being served your chicken tikka masala by a sexy, semi-naked 16 year old.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
If the company had forced the servers to wear burkas CBC would come anywhere near the story.