Lotto officials should explain status of unpaid $50M jackpot: NDP

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com

This weekend’s record-breaking Lotto 6/49 jackpot has many ticket-buyers dreaming big – and others wondering why the B.C. Lottery Corporation is still refusing to pay out a previous $50 million win.

Officials estimate Saturday’s Lotto 6/49 prize will reach $64 million, edging past the previous record prize of $63.4 million that was won in 2013.

That massive jackpot has British Columbians seeing dollar signs, but it’s also reminded some about the Lotto Max ticket that was turned in days before it was set to expire in March.

Seven months later, the identity of the person who turned it in remains a mystery, as does the reason for the long delay in cashing out the prize.
NDP gaming critic David Eby said the public deserves to know what’s going on with the process.

“On the eve of a major jackpot, people buying tickets have a question: Why isn’t BCLC paying this out?” Eby said.

“They really should be clear about the issue that’s holding up this jackpot for so long.”

CTV News has been asking BCLC about the holdup since March. On Friday, the corporation declined once again to provide any real update.

“It’s all about preserving the integrity of our process. If we release details about the process we will jeopardize that integrity,” spokeswoman Angela Koulyras said.
BCLC said there’s no time limit for its ticket verification process, but wouldn’t reveal what the process entails or why it’s taking so long this time.

In April, CTV News learned the person who turned in the ticket was fighting to remain anonymous, despite contractual obligations required of all lottery winners in the province – and was even considering legal action to stay out of the spotlight.

BCLC said it does make exceptions to its rule about naming winners, but they are very rare.

source: Lotto officials should explain status of unpaid $50M jackpot: NDP | CTV Vancouver News

It's funny how they want to play the "stupid tax" and quickly tax your money, but when it comes time to pay out they are very shady and not open.

Which reminds me, I need to pay $25 into the stupid tax this week.

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
In April, CTV News learned the person who turned in the ticket was fighting to remain anonymous, despite contractual obligations required of all lottery winners in the province – and was even considering legal action to stay out of the spotlight.
Until the BCLC confirms the ticket is a winner, they have zero right to use the person's name or image as a lottery winner until that person has the money in their hands. Until you actually have it, you ain't won sh*t.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island

This weekend’s record-breaking Lotto 6/49 jackpot has many ticket-buyers dreaming big – and others wondering why the B.C. Lottery Corporation is still refusing to pay out a previous $50 million win.

Officials estimate Saturday’s Lotto 6/49 prize will reach $64 million, edging past the previous record prize of $63.4 million that was won in 2013.

That massive jackpot has British Columbians seeing dollar signs, but it’s also reminded some about the Lotto Max ticket that was turned in days before it was set to expire in March.

Seven months later, the identity of the person who turned it in remains a mystery, as does the reason for the long delay in cashing out the prize.
NDP gaming critic David Eby said the public deserves to know what’s going on with the process.

“On the eve of a major jackpot, people buying tickets have a question: Why isn’t BCLC paying this out?” Eby said.

“They really should be clear about the issue that’s holding up this jackpot for so long.”

CTV News has been asking BCLC about the holdup since March. On Friday, the corporation declined once again to provide any real update.

“It’s all about preserving the integrity of our process. If we release details about the process we will jeopardize that integrity,” spokeswoman Angela Koulyras said.
BCLC said there’s no time limit for its ticket verification process, but wouldn’t reveal what the process entails or why it’s taking so long this time.

BCLC said it does make exceptions to its rule about naming winners, but they are very rare.

source: Lotto officials should explain status of unpaid $50M jackpot: NDP | CTV Vancouver News

It's funny how they want to play the "stupid tax" and quickly tax your money, but when it comes time to pay out they are very shady and not open.

Which reminds me, I need to pay $25 into the stupid tax this week.

Permit me to male it clear: THERE HAS NOT BEEN A CLEAR WINNER YET.

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
If I win 50 million, I have no problem with people knowing who I am, so long as the Lottery Commission doesn't mind my photo looking sorta like this..

I don't care either but the point is, you better be giving me my mother f*cking money before using my name or image.

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Until the BCLC confirms the ticket is a winner, they have zero right to use the person's name or image as a lottery winner until that person has the money in their hands. Until you actually have it, you ain't won sh*t.

The person(s) holding the ticket have been confirmed as the winner(s) but until they sign the waiver to publicizing their name(s), the cheque is being withheld.

The fight is over the publication of their name(s) and since it's been done before, that is precedent.

I would want to remain anonymous as well.......

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
I guess they don't care if the outed winners are robbed and brutally murdered. :shock: :(

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
It was won by Jim Pattison.

James Allen "Jim" Pattison, OC, OBC [born October 1, 1928] is a Canadian business magnate, investor and philanthropist. He is based in Vancouver. He is the Chief Executive Officer, Chairman and Sole Owner of the Jim Pattison Group, the second largest privately held company in Canada, making him one of Canada's richest people.

Yup he need the money ;)