California Becomes First State to Ban 'Redskins' Nickname

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
California Becomes First State to Ban 'Redskins' Nickname

California became the first state to ban schools from using the "Redskins" team name or mascot Sunday, a move the National Congress of American Indians said should be a "shining example" for the rest of the country.

The law, which Gov. Jerry Brown signed Sunday morning, goes into effect Jan. 1, 2017. It's believed to affect only four public schools using the mascot, which many Indian groups and activists find offensive, but its impact is significant symbolically — California has the largest enrollment of public school students in the nation, according to the National Center for Education Statistics.

The state Assembly overwhelmingly approved the California Racial Mascots Act in May, about a month before the Obama administration went on record telling the Washington Redskins that they would have to change their name before they would be allowed to move to a stadium in Washington, D.C., from their current home in suburban Maryland.

Pro Football Talk: Obama Administration: Team Should Change Name Before Returning to D.C.

In a joint statement with the nonprofit group Change the Mascot, the National Congress of American Indians praised California for "standing on the right side of history by bringing an end to the use of the demeaning and damaging R-word slur in the state's schools."

"They have set a shining example for other states across the country, and for the next generation, by demonstrating a commitment to the American ideals of inclusion and mutual respect," it said.

The U.S. Patent Office agreed last year that the nickname is "disparaging of Native Americans" and canceled the Washington pro football team's federal trademark protection.

source: California Becomes First State to Ban 'Redskins' Nickname - NBC News

Politically Correct gone crazy.. what ever happen to the First Amendment in the USA?

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
What's more crazy than political correctness?

People who are deeply offended by political correctness.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
So we no for sure that the Washington Redskins will NOT be one of the teams that will be re-located to Los Angeles next season. Good news for them as they don't get to fail like every other team that has ever played there.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Using the power of government to enforce it.

isn't the gov't where political correctness comes from though? So wouldn't it be more crazy if private corporations or civilians were enforcing the political correctness?

wait! if comedians enforced political correctness, that would be insane...

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
something else to cry about. The native americans in Arizona are not whining about it. As matter of fact Washington is many of those folks favorite team

Maybe California should re direct their whining toward the fact that they are dry as a bone,,why, it's so dry in California, that I caught a catfish the other day there and it had a tick on it.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
sure are a lot people looking to be offended down there.

say, here's the next bunch of california names for them to consider:

SQUAW VALLEY

NEGRO CREEK

D.W. Griffith High School

DIGGER PINE

ROBERT E. LEE ELEMENTARY SCHOOLS

BLACK SAMBO MINE

The SF Giants

The most controversial names in California - SFGate

Pelosi, Boxer, Feinstein

hey, fun fact time again...good ol' black sambo was a tamil kid.

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
I could give a rat's a-ss about PC.
In the words of that great ex governer of Arizona evan mecham,,,who incidentally got canned, "we don't go along to get along". Ev was also a car salesman ,,did some work for his business many years ago. His Slogan, "If ye cain't deal with Mecham, Ye just cain't deal". Walter you'd get along with ole Ev just fine

You know Evan was a bald man but when he was elected governer all of a sudden he had a nice head of hair. But he don't go along to get along.lol

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Racist!

Racist!

And if you really want a team name that'll give the PC Californians a deadly coronary, try this one from a team that plays in English rugby union's top division, the Aviva Premiership:

And yet, as far as I'm aware, there have been no calls anywhere in England calling for the name to be changed. No furore whatsoever.

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
Actually, no. Boston has a huge Irish population and the Irish were Celts.

As for the Redskins; The team originated as the Boston Braves, based in Boston, Massachusetts, in 1932, under the ownership of George Preston Marshall. At the time the team played in Braves Field, home of the Boston Braves baseball team. The following year the club moved to Fenway Park, home of the Boston Red Sox, whereupon owners changed the team's name to the Boston Redskins to suggest a kinship with the Red Sox and to continue utilizing the Braves uniforms. To round out the change, Marshall hired William "Lone Star" Dietz, a part-blood Sioux, as the team's head coach.[1