Just what is "News" on National News broadcasts

Frankiedoodle

Electoral Member
Aug 21, 2015
Saskatchewan
I understand that the National News broadcasts that they need to have a hook,to get the audience to stay and watch. However, I think that they went a little far when the 2 top stories on CTV National was Spider-Man Mabel (which I can understand)) and the next one was about a kid that had lost her blankie thing at an airport (which I don't get why it justified second spot)

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
they are your moral and intellectual kardashian superiors. do not question them.

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
Because the reality is, that's what people actually want. I said this in a different thread but, a while ago various on-line media outlets did a survey asking their readers what kind of news stories they were most interested in. The readers responded with stuff like world events, the economy, local news, you know, stuff that is actually relevant.
However, their website tracking software showed otherwise. Despite what people said they wanted to read/hear about, the reality is they went straight for the soft news, entertainment crap that gets passed off as news and other garbage that only the vapid, Jerry Springer demographic gives a damn about.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
that's what ratings douchebags tell advertisers that's what people want.

mind you, there are many stupid people out there staring at the toob but most sentient adults could care less.

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
that's what ratings douchebags tell advertisers that's what people want.
And they're not wrong for the most part. We're talking about a society where absolute trash like Jerry Springer, Maury Povich and Judge Judy have been on television for close to 20 years, if not longer.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
I understand that the National News broadcasts that they need to have a hook,to get the audience to stay and watch. However, I think that they went a little far when the 2 top stories on CTV National was Spider-Man Mabel (which I can understand)) and the next one was about a kid that had lost her blankie thing at an airport (which I don't get why it justified second spot)
"Celebrity is news. Everything else is entertainment." - M. McLuhan
Newsmedia is like Twitter, they toss in an occasional bit of information that is meant to get your emotions running and the rest is drivel like what soandso had for breaky and whozit lost their car keys.
To paraphrase Sam Clemens, AKA Mark Twain, if you don't catch the news, you are uninformed. If you catch the news, you are misinformed. He was a pretty shrewd observer. He also said, "We like to read about rich people in the newspapers; the papers know it, and they do their best to keep this appetite liberally fed."
"It seems to me that just in the ratio that our newspapers increase, our morals decay. The more newspapers the worse morals. Where we have one newspaper that does good, I think we have fifty that do harm. We ought to look upon the establishment of a newspaper of the average pattern in a virtuous village as a calamity."