Mom's Facebook Shaming Video of 13-Year-Old Goes Viral

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Mother publicly shames 13-year-old daughter for 'posing as a 19-year-old on Facebook' with controversial viral video

A controversial video of a mother publicly shaming her 13-year-old daughter for posing as a 19-year-old on Facebook has divided thousands of parents across social media.

Val Starks reacted furiously to discovering her daughter had apparently uploaded a picture of herself in a bra onto a secret Facebook account.

Ms Starks, from Denver, filmed herself scolding her daughter for over five minutes and forcing her to repeat her real age to the camera, in a video that has been viewed over 11 million times.

“You’re 13,” she tells her daughter. “So why does your Facebook page say that your 19? Are you 19?”

As her daughter cries, Ms Starks threatens to ban her from going out over summer and shouts, “say bye Facebook”, at her repeatedly.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxQMjauNRys

“Are you a freak? Do you know anything about being a freak?" she asks. "You need to speak up so people can hear you.

“Don’t cry now. You wasn’t crying when you was posting pictures on Facebook, was you? In a bra? Some little girl in some lace panties that you know you don’t own. You still wear panties that say Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday. You still have a bed time.”

Ms Starks has received thousands of messages supporting her decision to admonish her daughter so publicly. “You most likely saved her life,” wrote one user. “She will realise one day how blessed she is to have a Mom like you. You truly deserve a medal, it is better she be embarrassed than dead.”

Others said they would have dealt with the situation in a similar manner, writing: “I wish I would have done the same to my daughter at that age when I found her doing the same thing.”

However, some accused her of humiliating and degrading her child instead of addressing the root cause of the problem as a family. Many voiced concerns about the long term psychological impact the video could have on her child, arguing that it could open her up to taunting and bullying.

One user posted underneath the video: “This girl is going to be terrorised made fun of her whole life because of this video she will never be able to show her face in school again. I feel so sad for this girl.”

“What kind of parent gets satisfaction of seeing their kids humiliated?” asked another. “She went too far […] There are better ways to handle a situation like that."

Ms Starks later published a second video on Facebook saying she was “overwhelmed with gratitude” to the thousands of people who had sent her friend requests. “I appreciate you for standing up, speaking your own mind and calling me a great mum. It [the video] was really hard for me to do, but I didn’t want to be another parent on Facebook putting out a video where I beat my child or anything like that.”

She said her initial video was published to encourage other parents to take what their child is posting online seriously and addressed the dissenting voices criticising her by insisting: “I am her mother before anything. I am not her friend. I am not here to let her do whatever she wants. My job is to raise her, and sometimes that takes a little bit of tough love.”

source: Mother publicly shames 13-year-old daughter for 'posing as a 19-year-old on Facebook' with controversial viral video - Americas - World - The Independent

WOW!! Just WOW!! I'm speechless.. dangerous behaviour from a 13 years old..

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
I am against public humiliation and shaming of people you love.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
So the child does something a child would do which I do not condone
and the mother who is supposed to be an adult behaves like a child.
So what was the lesson about?
The mother is worse than the kid because she is supposed to know
better. I too am against humiliating people in public especially a child

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
any of ya's ever have a teen girl do anything like this? Didn't think so.

personal touch

House Member
Sep 17, 2014
alberta/B.C.
sometimes as a mother it is difficult to do the right thing,sometimes emotion clouds judgement,I think this mother demonstrated poor judgement and did the wrong thing,like many mothers she may regret these actions.
I understand her anger.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Hope the kid doesn't run away now, or worse commit suicide. She could be ridiculed at school for this, ostracised.

This girl is very unlikely to trust her mother again. Humiliation is bad enough, but to have it done publicly, for the whole world to see for the rest of her life? that's just child abuse. If it was another child or a stranger doing it to her they call it bullying.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
This girl is very unlikely to trust her mother again. Humiliation is bad enough, but to have it done publicly, for the whole world to see for the rest of her life? that's just child abuse. If it was another child or a stranger doing it to her they call it bullying.

Well just want I said, this will psychologically mess the child up and I hope the child doesn't do something stupid like kill herself, or run away from home.

The mother needs parenting classes and I think Child services should be involved to protect the child.

You're right this is abuse..

I would have contacted Facebook and close the account down, quietly. Talk to the girl and explain the dangers, then ground her for the rest of her life.

But, in a small way you can also sympathize with the mother.. a 13 year old posing half naked and bunch of grown Adult men friending her.. did her profile include her address.. that does put the child at great risk of Pedofhiles.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
13-year-old Tacoma girl jumps to her death after her dad cuts off her hair in shaming video
13-year-old Tacoma girl jumps to her death after her dad cuts off her hair in shaming video

hard *ss justice with no compassion...when a parent has a one up with their kid it's all over

“Was it worth it?”
well he won the battle but he lost the war

That’s a question that can now be asked of Izabel Laxamana’s father, who has been accused of traumatizing the 13 year old by cutting off her long, black hair and uploading the video online to shame her publicly.
ADVERTISEMENT
Laxamana, a Tacoma, Washington middle schooler, got out of a car on Friday and jumped off an interstate bridge. She died the next day. Her death was ruled a suicide by the county medical examiner’s office, the News Tribune reported.
Days earlier, her father Jeff punished her with the video for “getting messed up.”
“Man, you lost all that beautiful hair,” he says, panning the camera onto Laxamana’s locks lying on the floor. “Was it worth it? How many times have I warned you?”
that is just beyond sad

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com

That's what I said above and got negs for.. I hope that the young lady in the OP doesn't do the same..

Teen years have to be the hardest, peer pressure, trying to fit in, creating an identity, who you are and will be for many years to come..

Wonder how the father feels after what he has caused his child to do..

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.

Nope. Never had no facebook there, Geraldo, when ma daughter was a teeen. Not even when she
was a twenty.

Had we, I doubt she would do anything like that. We wouldn't have done the public shaming thing, but
she certainly would have known we did not approve.

She was the student in the family........yay team. Did well. Partied with her galfriends and boyfriends, but
never ran the roads or posed in a bra.......she was pretty conservative (cut my tongue out).........................

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars
I was remembering a movie produced by Michael Landon several years ago about a boy who was a bed wetter and how his parents would hang his soiled sheets out the upstairs window for all the neighborhood to see as a form of punishment for the boy peeing the bed.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
I was remembering a movie produced by Michael Landon several years ago about a boy who was a bed wetter and how his parents would hang his soiled sheets out the upstairs window for all the neighborhood to see as a form of punishment for the boy peeing the bed.

I peed on Santa shoes... :lol:

When I was very young, my parents would wake me up, walk me across the cold floor and stand me in front of the toilet every night.

Christmas Eve the neighbor dropped by as Santa. My parents woke me up, walked me across the cold floor and stood me in front of Santa.. (The neighbor)

Did he ever get a shock.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
I peed on Santa shoes... :lol:

When I was very young, my parents would wake me up, walk me across the cold floor and stand me in front of the toilet every night.

Christmas Eve the neighbor dropped by as Santa. My parents woke me up, walked me across the cold floor and stood me in front of Santa.. (The neighbor)

Did he ever get a shock.

Way to go Boom !:lol: I never liked the old turd. Always got socks but no shoes...........kiddin.
And never any goddam pony.:-(.........true.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
I am against public humiliation and shaming of people you love.

As am I.

In this video Id say the mother was the far more immature one.

My sister did. That wasnt long ago.

That doesnt surprise me and is part of the reason I am against public shaming of them. You dont know how little it can take to push them over the edge one way or another. Teens have the second highest suicide rate and are prone to doing very stupid things without much thought.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Teens have a high suicide rate because of the stupid educations they get, and it isn't just schools it's entertainment, it's marketing, it's their phoney idols and mentors. The girl shamed herself and had she been properly educated in the first fukkin place she would not have even considered stripping on the internet. When we do something wrong shame is what we are supposed to feel.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Teens have a high suicide rate because of the stupid educations they get, and it isn't just schools it's entertainment, it's marketing, it's their phoney idols and mentors. The girl shamed herself and had she been properly educated in the first fukkin place she would not have even considered stripping on the internet. When we do something wrong shame is what we are supposed to feel.
well she did and now she is dead

so how well did that work?