Will a Planetary Alignment Cause a 9.8 Earthquake This Week?

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Will a Planetary Alignment Cause a 9.8 Earthquake This Week?

An earth-shattering 9.8 earthquake is coming this week! At least according to your weird uncle’s Facebook page. The Big One is supposed to hit this Thursday, May 28th, thanks to a planetary alignment predicted by Nostradamus and some random guy in the Netherlands. Except that it’s all bullsh*t.

The video below already has over half a million views, and if I dare make a prediction of my own, it will get plenty more between now and Thursday. The video was produced by Ditrianum Media, which appears to be a lone guy in the Netherlands named Frank who’s fascinated with 9/11 conspiracy theories and believes that a spirit of some sort is talking with him.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uVI8cQ3Hpo

The narrator of the video explains his revelation:

The 12th of August, 2013, I received an important message. Well, for me it felt important. I explained that I felt that it came directly from Spirit. And this message, what it told me, what I was being told, is that there would be a very very large earthquake or some kind of major event with very much energy release. And at the time the message was that it would be on the west coast of North America and that it would be comparable to a 9.8 magnitude earthquake.

The narrator goes on to explain that a planetary alignment is going to be the cause of this divinely predicted event. The only problem, aside from the fact that you shouldn’t believe random **** you find on YouTube? Planetary alignments can’t cause earthquakes. They simply can’t. If you need someone to do the math for you, Phil Plait of the Bad Astronomy blog has gone ahead and worked it out.

But no matter how many times it’s debunked, we’re going to keep hearing from this Frank guy. In fact, Frank released a new video today. He points to some recent large earthquakes in the Solomon Islands and Tonga as evidence that something is indeed happening. He pulls up a graphic of the solar system and insists that an alignment between Earth, Mars and Mercury is to blame.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7zUdVouS4A

The problem with pointing to big earthquakes as a sign of things to come is that decent sized earthquakes are happening all the time. If you don’t believe me, there are earthquakebots on Twitter you can follow. Large earthquakes are surprisingly common. Of course, it will be interesting to see what kind of video Frank releases this coming weekend when the Big One doesn’t hit.

This isn’t the first time that people have put forth the idea that a planetary alignment will cause devastating earthquakes. The 1974 book The Jupiter Effect, by John Gribbin and Stephen Plagemann, warned that just such a thing was going to happen in 1982. And you can guess how that prediction panned out.

Now, you may be asking yourself if this YouTube video and its sloppy theories might have anything to do with a major motion picture being released on Friday. And frankly, we don’t know. But if this really is just a viral marketing campaign for San Andreas (out this Friday) then I’d have to say it’s not terribly bright. If I thought a major earthquake was going to hit soon the last place I’d want to be hanging out is a crowded theater.

The Big One is definitely coming. It’s inevitable. But if anybody tells you they know precisely when it will happen, you’re going to want to take that with a boulder-sized grain of salt.

source: Will a Planetary Alignment Cause a 9.8 Earthquake This Week?

With all the strange earthquake activity over the last month.. hummm ;)

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
To the same extent they have in the past, zero effect. With you predicting things do I now call Nostrabloomer or Edgar Bloomer?

Scooby

Electoral Member
Mar 22, 2012
Alberta
I've noticed that all guys named Frank are wierd, no offence to anyone but, what up with that?

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
What a load of claptrap. You can draw lines between planets on any day of the year. Also even if you believe another planet can cause an earthquake, it wouldn't be Mercury. Mercury is a tiny little rock. They guy is an idiot.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Sorry where did I say I predicted this, or your mental handicapped azz can't see the link to the story.
"and if I dare make a prediction of my own, it will get plenty more between now and Thursday."
Is that not your squeaky voice I hear?

Be pretty rough iffen a person was on the terlet when that one hits.
Try to be on the other side of the planet and on away from the beach. Wonder what the spin would be in that a good disaster should never go to waste.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Considering the punch that group was drinking it's a wonder they could even pick up an instrument. 1969 to 2019 means he was 50 years in the future as this song is more meaningful today than back then.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
"and if I dare make a prediction of my own, it will get plenty more between now and Thursday."
Is that not your squeaky voice I hear?
Probably is to you, what with your problem with voices and all. To those of us who are residents of reality, rather than occasional visitors, it's part of the article B00mer quoted and provided a link to.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Probably is to you, what with your problem with voices and all. To those of us who are residents of reality, rather than occasional visitors, it's part of the article B00mer quoted and provided a link to.
Those 'voices' are caused by words in print that I read, all the words is the only difference with me. When you take in only 25% then you are going to be right about 25% of the time, not any concern of mine is that is a new high score for you.

Here is a few hours or reality in your part of the world. (I assume you can make the hero into Obama, minus the ears)

Hey!! California, you ready for the BIG ONE Tomorrow?? :lol:
Technically California should be lifted up so the water would drop that much rather than swamping the land is shown my you delusional picture which bears no resemblance to reality.

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
None of the planets have anything thing but a very small fraction of the gravitational pull of the Moon, which is strong enough to cause tides, but not earthquakes which originate deep in the Earth.

This article does not specify exacty what planets are going to be alligned.. which makes it suspect in the first place. This really is not a cumulative event.. so i think you can safely say there will NOT be a 9.8 earthquake.

Earthquakes are the result of internal mechanisms on Planet Earth... the movement of continental plates and the build up of stored energy from blockages of their progress.

So Relax. :)