Lawyers Love Stubborn People With Money

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
The court found the case to be a battle of egos and about “turf warfare in the competitive world of diet medicine” rather than about reputation.

In the result, the court ordered each party to eat their own costs.

The case is a good lesson in how adjudicating over principle can be an expensive proposition.

In a recent defamation decision, the plaintiff spent nearly $550,000 on legal fees only to recover a $10,000 judgment.

The plaintiff was not alone in racking up a large legal bill. The defendant spent nearly $250,000 on legal fees defending the claim.

After the conclusion of trial both sides sought their legal costs from the other side.

The plaintiff argued that it was successful in the result and therefore ought to be entitled to costs.

The defendant argued that the plaintiff should have brought its case in Small Claims Court, or under the Simplified Procedure, and should not be awarded any costs (and in fact that the defendant should have its costs as a result).

The decision provides a nice overview on the law of costs in the province of Ontario, including the principles which inform the court’s decision making, how offers to settle factor into the analysis, and how brining a lawsuit in the wrong monetary jurisdiction can have significant consequences.

CanLII - 2015 ONSC 2125 (CanLII)

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
my girlfriend's sister is an admin asst for a divorce lawyer...I remember her telling us how one of their clients was paying per hour to fight over the cans in the cupboard and neither would give in

now that's hate

and karma

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
I prefer Alberta's method, if you make an offer to settle and it is rejected and you get a larger settlement at trial then the money you spent on the trial portion is doubled in the award phase so I would say if guilt is established and the trial is only about how much the damages are then spend lots to make sure the trial nets you at least $1 more than the formal offer to settle is for. Isn't the justice system wonderful?

On the down side the defense can do the same so make sure they are getting all the material before you file as that expense is not part of what gets doubled. The cost of filing the form that tells you where all their trial evidence is their only expense. If I was to have to gather material for trial then the $20K for tests and experts witnesses would actually be $40K when the checks are being tallied and that is just to show something took plave that does not cover the costs of the meds to undo what can be undone but that would be a cost after the trial if I have read those Rules correctly.

That can be shortened to lawyers love money.
Bankers love money, Lawyers love the BAR so basically they love themselves most of all.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
my girlfriend's sister is an admin asst for a divorce lawyer...I remember her telling us how one of their clients was paying per hour to fight over the cans in the cupboard and neither would give in

now that's hate

and karma
and childish

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
and childish
it's beyond me that a human being could pledge to live with another human being for the rest of their life and then hate them so much that it's worth $200.00 an hour to argue over a 40 cent can of soup...people like that should be forced to stay together instead of entering the dating pool again

I remember a zillion years ago when I was dating, when asking about previous relationships if they smashed down the ex without taking any responsibility, it was the last time I went out with them.

it's a good gauge about where someone's head is at

personal touch

House Member
Sep 17, 2014
alberta/B.C.
I prefer Alberta's method, if you make an offer to settle and it is rejected and you get a larger settlement at trial then the money you spent on the trial portion is doubled in the award phase so I would say if guilt is established and the trial is only about how much the damages are then spend lots to make sure the trial nets you at least $1 more than the formal offer to settle is for. Isn't the justice system wonderful?

On the down side the defense can do the same so make sure they are getting all the material before you file as that expense is not part of what gets doubled. The cost of filing the form that tells you where all their trial evidence is their only expense. If I was to have to gather material for trial then the $20K for tests and experts witnesses would actually be $40K when the checks are being tallied and that is just to show something took plave that does not cover the costs of the meds to undo what can be undone but that would be a cost after the trial if I have read those Rules correctly.

Bankers love money, Lawyers love the BAR so basically they love themselves most of all.
I would not use Alberta as an example within the court system,it just doesn't seem right to think Alberta has any good methods in the Courts.

then again,
I like the idea of ones lawyer suggesting his client wait for the "good Judge,while the not so lucky have the "bad Judges".In short form,if you have the money,you have a chosen access,and hopefully a "nice" Judge.(Who may doodle on the side)