This is my son Griffin, and he may have measles.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario

Jennifer Hibben-White

Jennifer Hibben-White

On February 9th, I received a phone call from York Region Public Health, informing me that Griffin, alongside my mother and I, was potentially exposed to the measles virus while attending a newborn weigh-in appointment at my doctor’s office in Markham on January 27th.

Griffin was 15 days old at the time.

I was informed that someone who later developed measles sat in the doctor’s waiting room between 1 hour before and 30 minutes before we arrived. I was also informed that measles is regarded as “airborne” and can stay in the air and on surfaces up to 2 hours after the infected person has left.

I was then asked if I had had the measles vaccine. I had.

Griffin. Griffin had not. Can not.

I was advised to not be around small children. If I worked in such an environment I would be written off work. I do work in such an environment; my home. Where I now sit with Griffin and my 3 year old, Aurelia, who has only been able to get one MMR vaccine so far. She is now, technically, exposed too. We are to sit tight and watch for symptoms: fever, cough, runny nose. If we develop any of these we are to call my doctor and arrange to come in under official medical precautions. We are to wait at home, in isolation, until February 17th, after which the 21 days of possible incubation will have passed and we are clear.

So, Griffin is now Schrödinger’s baby. Simultaneously with measles, and without it. Until he develops symptoms, or until a further 7 days pass. One or other.

And I’m angry. Angry as hell.

I won’t get angry at or blame the person in the waiting room. I would have likely done the same thing...you get sick, you go to the doctor. I have no idea what their story is and I will never know. But I do know one thing:

If you have chosen to not vaccinate yourself or your child, I blame you.

I blame you.

You have stood on the shoulders of our collective protection for too long. From that high height, we have given you the PRIVILEGE of our protection, for free. And in return, you gave me this week. A week from hell. Wherein I don’t know if my BABY will develop something that has DEATH as a potential outcome.

DEATH.

Now, let’s unpack this shall we. All out on the table.

You have NO IDEA what this “potential outcome” means. NO IDEA. I do. Unfortunately, I do.

You think you are protecting your children from thimerosal? You aren’t. It’s not in their vaccine.

You think you are protecting them from autism? You aren’t. There is no, none, nada, nothing in science that proves this. If you want to use google instead of science to “prove me wrong” then I am happy to call you an imbecile as well as misinformed.

You think you are protecting them through extracts and homeopathy and positive thoughts and Laws of Attraction and dancing by candlelight on a full moon? You aren’t. I PROTECT YOUR CHILD. We protect your child. By being concerned world citizens who care about ourselves, our fellow man, and our most vulnerable. So we vaccinate ourselves and our children.

You think you are protecting them by letting them eat their shovel full of dirt and reducing antibiotics and eating organic? You aren’t. As an unvaccinated person you are only protected by our good graces. WE LET YOU BE SO PRIVILEGED thanks to our willingness to vaccinate ourselves and our children.

You know what vaccines protect your children from? Pain. Suffering. Irreparable harm. Death.

And you would be the first to line up if you had an inkling of what the death of a child feels like. You would be crawling through the streets on your hands and knees, begging, BEGGING to get that vaccine into your precious babies because that is what I would have done, if I could, to save my daughter.

The fact is, there was no vaccine for her. Not for her illness. And she died. She died at age five and a half, and she is gone.

And I watch these arguments trotted out on Facebook and twitter citing false science and long discredited“studies” that just won’t stop and Jenny McCarthy quotes and “it’s MY choice” to not vaccinate...and I think...what would you have done if your child lay dying? Would you give them a scientifically proven, safe and effective vaccine and risk the minuscule likelihood of a side effect? Or would you let them go, knowing that at least they won’t develop autism (which they wouldn’t even develop anyway because SCIENCE)?

And don’t you DARE tell me that you wouldn’t vaccinate them then. Don’t you dare. You have no idea what it feels like to go through what we went through.

So, look at Griffin. Tell me why he gets to bear the brunt of your stupidity and reckless abuse of our protection? Tell me.

Seven more days until I know that my baby is safe. Seven more days.

How is your week going, anti-vaxxers?

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10155168508795632&set=a.322130010631.336875.730360631&type=1

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Having a shot doesn't stop you from being a carrier. I can understand the mother's plight but put the blame where it belongs. Perhaps the big gatherings when there is a epedemic going on might be trimmed down and essential services be done by a nurse that does the home visits in order deliver the needed shots. Perhaps the clinics can do something about the hour long waits to begin with, as well as taking away all the reading material that gets handled by everyone. How about gloves and a face mask for the ones in the waiting room.
This boils down to it being the full fault of the not vaccinated smells a bit sour really.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
In your rush to discredit my post you turned 'carrier' into a contract the disease. You link put it at 80% chance of getting it even after getting a 'shot'. I would say that is way too fuking high of it to be called a 'vaccine' in the first place.

Can a vaccinated person be a carrier for the disease they are vaccinated against and spread it to other people? : askscience

Most definitely. Not only are there no vaccines that have a 100% efficacy rate, but you can have variations within a disease (classic example being influenza) that allow you to become infected even if you're vaccinated. Some vaccinations have scarily low rates of efficacy, an example would be the BCG Vaccine against TB, which has an efficacy between 0 and 80% depending on a whole range of factors.
Another fairly obvious way in which you can spread disease despite not being infected with it is simple physical transmission. I shake hands with someone who has sneezed on their hand, then shake hands with a third person, and they can catch the disease person one had due to infectious agents such as viral particles or bacteria being physically transferred person to person, regardless of whether I became infected.
A final way that this can occur, and perhaps the most interesting is that some diseases can form physical structures within the body and effectively 'hide' from the immune system, then can be released at a given time. The classic example of a disease doing this is Tuberculosis. If you do happen to inspire some particles of M. tuberculosis, and they happen to reach your lung, they can form what is known as a Tubercule within your lung, a small round nodule of bacteria surrounded by fibrous tissue that is ignored by your immune system. You can carry these while not infected with TB for decades, but rupturing one through physical trauma or respiratory distress (Such as heavy coughing) can activate an infection in you and/or make you infection to other people.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
MMS: Error

The 1998 publication of an article, recently retracted by the Lancet, by Wakefield et al.3 created a worldwide controversy over the measles–mumps–rubella (MMR) vaccine by claiming that it played a causative role in autism. This claim led to decreased use of MMR vaccine in Britain, Ireland, the United States, and other countries. Ireland, in particular, experienced measles outbreaks in which there were more than 300 cases, 100 hospitalizations, and 3 deaths.4

Today, the spectrum of antivaccinationists ranges from people who are simply ignorant about science (or “innumerate” — unable to understand and incorporate concepts of risk and probability into science-grounded decision making) to a radical fringe element who use deliberate mistruths, intimidation, falsified data, and threats of violence in efforts to prevent the use of vaccines and to silence critics. Antivaccinationists tend toward complete mistrust of government and manufacturers, conspiratorial thinking, denialism, low cognitive complexity in thinking patterns, reasoning flaws, and a habit of substituting emotional anecdotes for data.5 Their efforts have had disruptive and costly effects, including damage to individual and community well-being from outbreaks of previously controlled diseases, withdrawal of vaccine manufacturers from the market, compromising of national security (in the case of anthrax and smallpox vaccines), and lost productivity.2
I think she is well within her rights to cast blame where she does. "Sour" seems a rather petty description, this is a mother who has already lost a child and is faced with the possibility (irrespective of how remote that may be) of potentially losing another from something that was nearly 100% preventable.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Should I mind read that she had already lost a child? If I had lost a child the next one would probably never get out of the house, for any reason let alone be taken to a medical clinic to be just weighed during a time when an epidemic is on the loose. That's just me though.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Why would you need to "mind read" it given that she states it plainly in her post?

You did read what she wrote, right?

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia

Jennifer Hibben-White

Jennifer Hibben-White

On February 9th, I received a phone call from York Region Public Health, informing me that Griffin, alongside my mother and I, was potentially exposed to the measles virus while attending a newborn weigh-in appointment at my doctor’s office in Markham on January 27th.

Griffin was 15 days old at the time.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10155168508795632&set=a.322130010631.336875.730360631&type=1

The woman is an idiot and her baby is ugly.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
I got this far,
"If you have chosen to not vaccinate yourself or your child, I blame you.
I blame you."

and what difference does it make in that she was at a clinic for something as trivial as the 'weigh in'. If she is going to blame somebody other than herself for taking the baby there in the first place.

The other point I made is that a vaccination doesn't stop you from being a carrier. Wh0 is to say the person that came down with it was the carrier, perhaps they picked it up within that 2 hour limit (and I would question that also without a lot of papers)

Under the phage medicine method there would be a 'cure' for any bacteria that exists, the 'super bug' is a myth, one big pharma makes billions off of because their patients are about as uneducated about diseases as is humanly possible.
Phages The Virus that Cures Part 1 - YouTube

DB, there are no ugly babies, be nice and say something like, 'She looks just like you.' . . . and then walk away quickly.

It doesn't say what caused the death of her other child so why attribute it to measles or something.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Get bent, db.

Oh and the "d" stands for douche, just to clarify.

Ok maybe I was a little undiplomatic. She's not an idiot, she's just another mother whipped into hysteria by the goddmamn blood sucking medical establishment and her baby will grow out of it's homliness. Probably bottle fed, you can tell by the sunken cheeks and the startled eyes.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Today, the spectrum of antivaccinationists ranges from people who are simply ignorant about science (or “innumerate” — unable to understand and incorporate concepts of risk and probability into science-grounded decision making) to a radical fringe element who use deliberate mistruths, intimidation, falsified data, and threats of violence in efforts to prevent the use of vaccines and to silence critics. Antivaccinationists tend toward complete mistrust of government and manufacturers, conspiratorial thinking, denialism, low cognitive complexity in thinking patterns, reasoning flaws, and a habit of substituting emotional anecdotes for data.5 Their efforts have had disruptive and costly effects, including damage to individual and community well-being from outbreaks of previously controlled diseases, withdrawal of vaccine manufacturers from the market, compromising of national security (in the case of anthrax and smallpox vaccines), and lost productivity.2

MMS: Error

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
It still ends up, being vaccinated doesn't stop you from being a carrier so mom should use some of that isolation time to up her knowledge and don't take grandma to those places either because the aged are the 2nd group most at risk of serious complications.
Later.