Absolute Insanity; K9 and Helicopter Called for Bicycle Without Light

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
A simple traffic stop involving a bicycle in Lehigh Acres led to a Lee County deputy firing off a shot to protect one of his own.

It happened near Gilbert Avenue just west of Gunnery Road.

Deputies tell us they attempted to stop a suspect on a bicycle outside of the Dollar General store on Gunnery Road for riding without a light. That's when the suspect ran away from deputies.

A helicopter and K9 unit were called in to help search for the suspect. While tracking the suspect in a wooded area, a K9 unit was attacked by an unleashed Pit bull. That's when a deputy in pursuit shot the Pit bull.

We spoke to the Pit bull's owner, Michael Rivera. Rivers says the entire incident happened on his property -- which he says has an invisible fence system.

The Pit bull is receiving treatment from animal control. River tells us his dog isn't doing well. The K9 is expected to be okay.

The suspect is still on the run. No description has been given to us at this time.

http://www.nbc-2.com/story/27751384/pit-bull-shot-by-lee-deputy-after-attacking-k9-unit

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
twerps

a copter and a K9 unit for a light out on a bike and now two animals are injured

grumpydigger

Electoral Member
Mar 4, 2009
Kelowna BC
My guess is, that the guy on the bicycle saw how over-the-top the police reacted and believed his life was in danger.

I see cops with a overabundance of toys and looking for any excuse to bring them into action regardless of the cost or risk of life.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Be interesting to know why he ran away. Has to be more than just no light on his bike.
might have just been young...we did it one night, me and my girlfriend...I knew the cop by name since her mum worked at the hospital with me and her husband was a nurse...I didn't know leg muscles could burn that bad

that's why chasing someone for a burned out light signifies to me how low these fools have fallen

can you imagine out on your bike you're like 16 and being chased by a K9 and a helicopter...there's our tax dollars put to good use...

frigging morons...that's the I.Q. level they hire now...

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Be interesting to know why he ran away. Has to be more than just no light on his bike.

We would like to think that but since no description of the 'suspect' has been given it would appear they don't know this person and were simply stopping him for the 'no light' offence.

I think the good old boys down there are too hyped up and it was a slow night on the crime beat for them.......

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta

Probably feared for his life. Folks in the states have been killed for much less

Sure escalated quickly....

That, in a nutshell, is the whole problem with policing today. The police used to be trained to take tense situations and eleviate the tension. Today it's about iliminating a threat. I remember a fight in the bar maybe 15 years ago. There were 5 or 6 guys involved and a single cop walked into the bar (back then the cops would come sit in the bar for 15 minutes, have a coke and shoot the shyt with people). He got between them, settled things down bought them each a hot dog, crack a few jokes and told them he really didn't want to come back. Problem solved. There is not a single cop around here today that wouldn't immediately taser the first guy they could.

If that cop fifteen years had have got into trouble, 90% of the folks in that bar would have had his back. The same isn't true for the new breed.