Is the world starting to turn against Bill Cosby?

Locutus
The man once known as “America’s Dad” is too radioactive for daytime television.

Bill Cosby, who was scheduled to appear as a guest on “The Queen Latifah Show” to promote his new comedy tour, is no longer going to be on the show.

TMZ initially reported (external - login to view) producers rescinded the invitation, but updated the story with a statement from the show’s spokesman saying Cosby’s appearance was “postponed at his request.” The change came just days after the Daily Mail published Barbara Bowman’s account of the alleged sexual abuse she said she suffered at Cosby’s hands.

These allegations have been reported for years — before Bowman spoke to the Daily Mail, she spoke to (external - login to view) Newsweek in February. Cosby has said almost nothing about the accusations. His publicist told Newsweek: “This is a 10-year-old, discredited accusation that proved to be nothing at the time, and is still nothing.”

Tamara Green spoke to Matt Lauer on the “Today (external - login to view)” show in 2005 about her alleged experiences and in February to Newsweek (external - login to view). In 2004, Andrea Constand filed suit against Cosby (external - login to view) for battery, assault, and intentional infliction of emotional distress, alleging that Cosby had drugged and raped her. Thirteen women came forward with their own allegations and agreed to testify as witnesses if the suit went to trial. Cosby settled in 2006.

more

Is the world starting to turn against Bill Cosby? - The Washington Post (external - login to view)

damngrumpy
+7
#2  Top Rated Post
Again I reserve judgement until the evidence in placed before a court of law
or dismissed for not being true, either way I'll wait. By the way I never did like
his show it this has no effect on me one way or another

Sal
+1
Quote:

Thirteen women came forward with their own allegations and agreed to testify as witnesses if the suit went to trial. Cosby settled in 2006.

scuse me?

I am likely one of the few in the world who wasn't a huge fan...he's okay but he's become edgier as he has aged and I prefer him more now

that's a lot of women...and he settled, why?

Quote: Originally Posted by damngrumpyView Post

Again I reserve judgement until the evidence in placed before a court of law
or dismissed for not being true, either way I'll wait. By the way I never did like
his show it this has no effect on me one way or another

I just read your reply now...that is quite a number of women

I didn't like the show either

bill barilko
+2
Bill Cosby is still alive?

Serryah
+2
I agree with DG - prove it or not in court.

That he settled puts the question of validity - at least to me - on both him AND the woman.

My question to the woman would be: If he did such a horrible thing, why the heck settle?! Get him out of society, FFS.

My question to him would be: why did you settle; guilt, truth of the claim or (and this is so very not likely) pity for the woman?

Anytime anyone settles out of court for something this serious, I question both parties and the truth of it all.

Sal
Quote: Originally Posted by SerryahView Post

I agree with DG - prove it or not in court.

That he settled puts the question of validity - at least to me - on both him AND the woman.

My question to the woman would be: If he did such a horrible thing, why the heck settle?! Get him out of society, FFS.

My question to him would be: why did you settle; guilt, truth of the claim or (and this is so very not likely) pity for the woman?

Anytime anyone settles out of court for something this serious, I question both parties and the truth of it all.

I would not want to go up against someone with that amount of power via his wealth and influence.

Although, others went up against the RC church and won so that is likely no excuse.

gopher
+6
Quote: Originally Posted by Sal;

scuse me?

I am likely one of the few in the world who wasn't a huge fan...he's okay but he's become edgier as he has aged and I prefer him more now

I just read your reply now...that is quite a number of women

I didn't like the show either

He settled because he had the big bucks and wanted to retain the reputation he made for himself as scholar/role model and America's "# 1 dad". Remember that these accusations were in several states (Florida, California, NY, Pennsylvania) and the alleged actions had similar patterns. Had any of this gone to trial, even if he were not found liable, his reputation would have tarnished beyond repair and that would have been the end of his lucrative Hollywood career.

IdRatherBeSkiing
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by gopherView Post

He settled because he had the big bucks and wanted to retain the reputation he made for himself as scholar/role model and America's "# 1 dad". Remember that these accusations were in several states (Florida, California, NY, Pennsylvania) and the alleged actions had similar patterns. Had any of this gone to trial, even if he were not found liable, his reputation would have tarnished beyond repair and that would have been the end of his lucrative Hollywood career.

Also a possible reason for the lawsuit in the first place. Always weary when the victim pursues a civil retribution against a celebrity rather than a criminal charge.

tay
Appearance by Bill Cosby With David Letterman Canceled as Rape Allegations Swirl

www.nytimes.com/2014/11/15/bu...773522000&_r=1 (external - login to view)

gopher
+2
America's # 1 dad has taken quite a spill - my, how the mighty have fallen!

B00Mer
Bill Cosby can do no wrong... ��

Same answer when they interview me for jury duty, "The police are always right." - you're excused.

Machjo
Most of the world has never heard of Bill Cosby.

Tecumsehsbones
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by SalView Post

scuse me?

Whether he thought he would lose or not, the reputational damage, as we are now seeing, was worth paying a lot to avoid.

It's the same as people who ask "Well, if (whatever) about Obama isn't true, why isn't he suing for libel?" If the rich and famous litigated every lie told about them, they wouldn't be rich and famous for long.

tay
+1

I always thought Al Bundy was a , more representative Father figure........

skookumchuck
+1

You being judge and jury does not help much.

#juan
+2
Having $350 million dollars in the bank probably helps a bit.

Nuggler
350 million can't make you funny when you're not. But, it sure helps one scrape by.

eh.

gopher
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by skookumchuckView Post

You being judge and jury does not help much.

I'm casting my vote for Al Bundy.

Sal
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by TecumsehsbonesView Post

Whether he thought he would lose or not, the reputational damage, as we are now seeing, was worth paying a lot to avoid.

It's the same as people who ask "Well, if (whatever) about Obama isn't true, why isn't he suing for libel?" If the rich and famous litigated every lie told about them, they wouldn't be rich and famous for long.

Okay fair enough, that makes sense. I would never be able to sit on a jury for this man, I would have to immediately recuse myself.

He and Julie Andrews make me want to hurl. It's for sure just an energy thing but our energy just never mixed well from the get go. Everyone always LOVED the two of them...I was a kid and I never trusted either. Not saying I was right for everyone else but my space didn't like their space and I trust my gut.

Now from a rational perspective, sometimes squeaky clean is attacked because we frequently project ourselves onto others and we know in our heart squeaky clean may not be us. So I am well aware I may be projecting, but blek...

Now that he is edgier he seems more human to me. Maybe he was just a good people reader and knew the melieu of the time, a black man in a white world clawing his way up, that I could handle. And that I could give, the benefit of the doubt. But then people are never just what is presented by the media.

El Barto
+3
Maybe this could all be resolved with jello pudding?

JLM
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by MachjoView Post

Most of the world has never heard of Bill Cosby.

Yet, probably just as many as who have heard of Barack Obama!

spaminator
forums.canadiancontent.net/mo...rnet-meme.html (external - login to view)

Machjo
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

Yet, probably just as many as who have heard of Barack Obama!

Nearly the whole world would know Barack Obama because of his political importance. I don't even know if the Cosby show was available in French in CQuebec let alone Chinese in China.

Sal
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by MachjoView Post

Nearly the whole world would know Barack Obama because of his political importance. I don't even know if the Cosby show was available in French in CQuebec let alone Chinese in China.

if they were lucky....it wasn't

Retired_Can_Soldier
+2
I sure hope this isn't true.

Sal
Quote: Originally Posted by Retired_Can_SoldierView Post

I sure hope this isn't true.

yeah details are a tad murky

Retired_Can_Soldier
+2
I have always enjoyed the comedy of Bill Cosby and found his views regarding his own culture honest and refreshing. I had a lot of his albums as a kid.

Walter
+1 / -1
Quote: Originally Posted by Retired_Can_SoldierView Post

I have always enjoyed the comedy of Bill Cosby and found his views regarding his own culture honest and refreshing. I had a lot of his albums as a kid.

Me, too. I like Bill.

gopher
+2 / -1
Cosby had been a great hero to many right wingers because he bashed black men and welfare moms:

Bill Cosby Bashes Thugs and Welfare Moms: ‘We Can’t Blame White People’ | American Overlook (external - login to view)

But the mighty have fallen and those same right wingers no longer love him because he has been nothing but a Pharisee all this time:

Asked Repeatedly About Rape Allegations In National Interview, Bill Cosby Responds With Silence | ThinkProgress (external - login to view)

Bill Cosby, who became something of a national father figure as Heathcliff Huxtable on The Cosby Show, is facing increasing pressure to address serious allegations of rape and sexual assault by multiple women. Asked directly and repeatedly on Saturday about the allegations on a national NPR interview, Cosby responded with complete silence.
SCOTT SIMON: “This question gives me no pleasure Mr. Cosby, but there have been serious allegations raised about you in recent days.”
BILL COSBY: [SILENCE]
SIMON: “You’re shaking your head no. I’m in the news business. I have to ask the question. Do you have any response to those charges?”
COSBY: [SILENCE]
SIMON: “Shaking your head no. There are people who love you who might like to hear from you about this. I want to give you the chance.”
COSBY: [SILENCE]
You can listen to the awkward exchange here.
Cosby has also canceled a scheduled appearance on the Late Show with David Letterman.
The allegations against Cosby, which have been public since at least 2004, have attracted increased interest after they became the subject of a standup routine by comic Hannibal Buress.
He gets on TV, ‘Pull your pants up black people, I was on TV in the 80s. I can talk down to you because I had a successful sitcom.’ Yeah, but you rape women, Bill Cosby, so turn the crazy down a couple notches.
Barbara Bowman, one of Cosby’s accusers who has spoken publicly about the alleged assault for 10 years, has “struggled to get people to take my story seriously.” Why was it, Bowman asked, “[o]nly after a man, Hannibal Buress, called Bill Cosby a rapist in a comedy act last month did the public outcry begin in earnest.”
Despite the controversy, Cosby recently inked a deal with NBC to create a new sitcom.
Cosby has never been charged with rape. He did settle a lawsuit in 2006 filed by one of his accusers out of court. The terms of the settlement remain confidential.
UPDATE
Bill Cosby’s lawyer, John P. Schmitt, released a statement Sunday saying they would not “dignify these allegations with any comment.” Full statement below:
Over the last several weeks, decade-old, discredited allegations against Mr. Cosby have resurfaced. The fact that they are being repeated does not make them true. Mr. Cosby does not intend to dignify these allegations with any comment. He would like to thank all his fans for the outpouring of support and assure them that, at age 77, he is doing his best work. There will be no further statement from Mr. Cosby or any of his representatives.

Tecumsehsbones
+2

Cosby had been a great hero to many right wingers because he bashed black men and welfare moms:

So a black man with a long history of supporting black causes, including multi-million dollar donations to HBCUs, calling on black people to be more responsible, is bashing?

What next? Will Cosby be a racist as well as a rapist?