Research on Contaminants in Farmed Salmon: Science or Marketing?

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
No surprise there. The anti farm fish groups have been spreading lies for decades. They have funding from several of the commercial fisheries organizations like the BC Gillneters who see farm fish as competition for their wild product even though with help from DFO they have managed to destroy the very fisheries they depend on.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
No surprise there. The anti farm fish groups have been spreading lies for decades. They have funding from several of the commercial fisheries organizations like the BC Gillneters who see farm fish as competition for their wild product even though with help from DFO they have managed to destroy the very fisheries they depend on.

You don't think commercial fisheries would be interested in farming their supply instead of spending enormous amounts on boats, insurance, moorage, fuel,paying people to do the paperwork, paying the fishers? I think they would. It'd be far easier.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
You don't think commercial fisheries would be interested in farming their supply instead of spending enormous amounts on boats, insurance, moorage, fuel,paying people to do the paperwork, paying the fishers? I think they would. It'd be far easier.

The corps yes, but not the fishermen who see it largely as a threat to their way of life. Commercial licenses are a commodity with a value so anything that impacts their ability to control market prices is a threat.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Vivian Krause's opinion on David Carpenter's studies: Science or Marketing? :lol:

I think the answer to this question and the one posed in the thread title, is that it's both. They're not mutually exclusive. I think a better question is which is the driving force? If science is what drives the marketing, well that's much better than marketing driven science.