'Uber for snowplowing'

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
gets a warmer reception in Anchorage than its ride-sharing cousin did

Call it Uber for snowplowing: A new smartphone app made available in Anchorage this week promises to arrange, estimate and take payment for snowplowing.

But unlike the controversial ride-sharing service, Plowz & Mowz is being welcomed by the industry at which its service is aimed.

Customers use an iPhone or Android app to request a plow and estimate the cost for the job, and they are charged only after the job has been completed by a local plow truck -- a picture is sent to each customer to confirm the job's completion. The app automatically charges the fees to a credit card.

Plowz & Mowz was created by a pair of New York state residents, Wills Mahoney and Andrew Englander.

"I got the idea because we had a pretty big snowstorm in Syracuse (in 2012), and my mom need a snowplow because she couldn't get out of her driveway," Mahoney said. "I tried calling snowplow companies, but no one would pick up their phone."

more

Plowz and Mowz app, like Uber for snow removal, comes to Anchorage, Alaska | Alaska Dispatch