Cato Institute: Ladders pose greater risk than terrorism

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
"How many people die from falling off ladders?" -- Stephen Colbert

"Thousands every year." -- Steven Pinker (official)

"Should we be invading Ladderstan?" -- Stephen Colbert TSA Expansion Program - The Colbert Report - Video Clip | Comedy Central

Terrorism

Congress should
• repeal the Antiterrorism and Effective Death Penally Act of 1996,
• resist efforts to expand wiretapping,
• remove all export controls on encryption, and
• enact appropriations bills forbidding any executive branch
official from spending money to promote the Clipper Chip.

From the Alien and Sedition Acts of 1798 to the Palmer Raids of 1919 to the McCarthy era to the present, proponents of restrictions on civil liberties have made exaggerated claims about various threats posed by American political dissidents and the necessity of a federal' 'crackdown." Indeed, proponents of a crackdown have often claimed that anyone who is skeptical of their exaggerated assertions must be sympathetic to the enemies of America.

Any violent crime is terrible, but terrorism is extremely rare in the United States. The risk that any given American will be killed by a terrorist is about the same as the chance that a randomly selected high school football player will one day be a starting quarterback in the Super Bowl. One's chance of being killed in a terrorist attack is many times less than one's chance of drowning in a bathtub or being killed by a fall from scaffolding or a ladder. We would not adopt the "if it saves one life" theory to justify a ban on bathtubs, even though hundreds of lives would be saved each year. Accordingly, America should reject terrorism legisla- tion that will probably not save any lives and that demands that Americans give up things far more important than bathtubs.

Terrorists cannot destroy a free society, but they can scare a free society into destroying itself. In 1974 Irish Republican Army terrorists bombed pubs in Birmingham, England, killing 21 people.

Jenkins introduced the Prevention of Terrorism (Temporary Provisions) Bill. Approved without objection in Parliament, the bill was supposed to expire in one year, but it has been renewed every year.

Under the Prevention of Terrorism Act, and subsequent British terrorism legislation, the police may stop and search without warrant any person suspected of terrorism. They may arrest any person they "reasonably suspect" "supports an illegal organization." An arrested person may be detained without court approval for up to a week. It is illegal even to organize a private or public meeting addressed by a member of a proscribed organization, or to wear clothes indicating support of such an organization.
In Britain wiretapping does not need judicial approval. If committed pursuant to an order from a secretary of state, acts such as theft, damage to property, arson, procuring information for blackmail, and leaving planted evidence are not crimes.

A suspect's decision to remain silent during interrogation may now be used against him in court. Although terrorism in Northern Ireland was the stated reason for the change, the change also applies in England and Wales. No one who has seen what is happening in Great Britain can feel confident that repressive measures introduced solely to counter terrorism will not eventually creep into the ordinary criminal justice system.

The Birmingham bombings that led to the Prevention of Terrorism Act resulted in the conviction of a group of defendants called the Birmingham Six, whose confessions were extracted under torture and who were con- victed on what was later admitted to be the perjured testimony of a government forensic scientist. Eventually, they were freed, although if Britain had a death penalty, they would have been executed.

To state the obvious, all the repressive legislation has hardly immunized Britain from terrorism. To the contrary, British citizens are as vulnerable to an IRA car bomb as they were in 1974, and they are at much greater risk of being terrorized by the state itself. For centuries, "the rights of Englishmen" were proudly held up in contrast to the absolutism of the Continent. Far from being an exemplar to the world, the modern "anti- terrorist' ' United Kingdom has been found guilty of human rights violations under the European Convention on Human Rights more often than any other member of the Council of European States. As Britain's recent history illustrates, no matter how great a country's tradition of freedom, freedom can be lost in less than a generation if public officials, and the public, allow terrorism to destroy their traditional way of life.

To study the terrorism agenda being pushed in the United States these days is to study a series of assaults on the Bill of Rights.

http://object.cato.org/sites/cato.o.../cato-handbook-policymakers/1997/9/105-21.pdf

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Hmmm, comparing accidents with purposeful acts of violence, makes wanting to stop purposeful acts of violence a silly endeavour.

Cool.

I think I need a toque to get the logic of this level of stupidity.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
I don't know that any country should advertise that they'll tolerate terrorism...

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Are a lot of the folks writing the civil liberty trampling policy shoppers at the Harvard campus store?

No idea, just meant the ones from another thread seemed to be logical. So their toques must be malfunctioning... and then they wouldn't help you here. :smile:

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Hmmm, comparing accidents with purposeful acts of violence, makes wanting to stop purposeful acts of violence a silly endeavour.

Cool.

So that's how you get there! All these years and I thought you'd been dropped on your head er sumthin.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010

Cool.

Fiscal conservatives love the toque.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
There is so much hand wringing when it comes to going after terrorists
No one does anything about killer ladders distracted drivers yes ladders
no they just stand there waiting to kill apparently.
As for terrorists these people are not only going back to the stone age
they are actively engaged in selling young women and girls into slavery.
We have some 80 of these creeps who fought for terrorism coming back
home to live amongst us. These people have committed a criminal act
by supporting the enemy and should be rounded up and imprisoned.
Actually military law could see them shot, I pay to see these guys executed
and I am not known to support violence. Time to round them up and anyone
who supports them Oh and put your ladder away before you fall

relic

Council Member
Nov 29, 2009
Nova Scotia
So let me get this straight, there are at least eighty of these bad folks out there, that have broken some law, and they're under surveillance. Why the **** aren't they in jail ? You mean the law and order govt is letting these people walk around plotting their nefarious schemes. I'm starting on a bunker, meby next week.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Penn and Teller
sitting in a tree
T o q u i n g

First came the ladders
then came the free

Then came the neocons
who bomb for 30 B

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Fiscal conservative libertarians supporting expensive authoritarian projects.