Seniors and the generation spending gap

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario

Why are we doing so much to try to help seniors when they’re already the wealthiest generation in history?

Tamsin McMahon
September 6, 2014

At age 89, Larry South would have been forgiven if he had chosen to retire on a sunny beach in Florida. Instead, the former MPP from Kingston, Ont., recently embarked on a political battle to overhaul the municipal property tax system. South had been growing increasingly concerned that elderly homeowners on fixed incomes were struggling to cope with rising property taxes because of the soaring value of their homes, while at the same time he fretted that young workers, with their stagnant wages, were being shut out of the housing market. And so South proposed replacing property taxes with a tax equal to 4.5 per cent of a homeowner’s yearly household income. Doing so would make it easier for young workers to afford the cost of owning a home, while struggling seniors, he believed, would be the biggest beneficiaries.
But in his quest to change the tax system, he has come across an unlikely foe—his elderly friends. Like South, a former engineer who estimates he earns a retirement income that’s 30 to 40 per cent above the $86,000 household average in Kingston, many of his friends also pull in six-figure retirement incomes. Thanks to their high earnings, many would end up paying more in taxes under South’s plan than they do under the existing property tax system. Some, he says, resent the idea of paying more in tax than their younger, lower-income neighbours. “There’s not many that would have an income much less than $100,000, so their taxes will go up,” he says. “But they shouldn’t expect to be subsidized by the poor.”
South’s struggle to reform the property tax system, and the resistance he’s found among his affluent elderly friends, underscores what has been a remarkable shift in the nature of wealth in Canada. Seniors have long been considered society’s most vulnerable citizens, fragile pensioners on fixed incomes in need of a financial helping hand from both government and agile younger workers. That was true decades ago, but not anymore. Thanks to stock market booms, economic growth, a soaring real estate market and a major expansion in both private and government pension plans, today’s seniors are arguably the wealthiest generation in history. The changing fortunes of the elderly have been both swift and profound. In the 1970s, nearly 40 per cent of Canadian seniors lived in poverty. Today it’s five per cent, half the poverty rate of the working-age population and one-third the rate of poverty among children.
Seniors have seen their wealth quadruple since 1984, according to a Bank of Montreal study released last month, far outpacing the growth of wealth among younger Canadians. The stunning transformation of the balance sheets of the elderly is thanks to a combination of financial discipline, public policy and good timing. Many of today’s seniors were the babies born in the aftermath of the Great Depression who learned to abhor debt and save aggressively. (The average Canadian senior has a debt load equal to just five per cent of their total wealth, compared to a 99 per cent debt-to-wealth ratio for their Boomer children.) At the same time as they were socking away their hard-earned money, seniors got a major boost from the introduction of public benefits like Canada Pension Plan, Old Age Security and taxpayer-funded health care, which has helped push the poverty rate among elderly Canadians to one of the lowest in the Western world. Many benefited from decades of economic growth while being spared the brunt of the 2008 meltdown because they had already shifted their savings into low-risk investments when they retired, says Goshka Folda, senior managing director of research firm Investor Economics. During the depth of the recession in 2009, 86 per cent of retirees told Statistics Canada researchers that they weren’t financially stressed and were living better in retirement than they had expected.

Not everyone is benefiting from these changes, however. The fortunes of younger Canadians haven’t improved nearly as much as they have for the elderly. In the 1980s, the typical senior was four times wealthier than the average 20-something. Today’s seniors are now on average nine times richer than their Millennial grandchildren. In fact, many of the trends and policies that have worked in favour of seniors have come at the expense of younger generations. That’s led some to warn of a coming generational war if public focus and resources aren’t shifted away from seniors to younger workers who are struggling far more than their parents ever did.

More: Seniors and the generation spending gap - Macleans.ca

Elder

Electoral Member
Jan 15, 2011
New Westminster, BC, CA

Why are we doing so much to try to help seniors when they’re already the wealthiest generation in history?

Tamsin McMahon
September 6, 2014

At age 89, Larry South would have been forgiven if he had chosen to retire on a sunny beach in Florida. Instead, the former MPP from Kingston, Ont., recently embarked on a political battle to overhaul the municipal property tax system. South had been growing increasingly concerned that elderly homeowners on fixed incomes were struggling to cope with rising property taxes because of the soaring value of their homes, while at the same time he fretted that young workers, with their stagnant wages, were being shut out of the housing market. And so South proposed replacing property taxes with a tax equal to 4.5 per cent of a homeowner’s yearly household income. Doing so would make it easier for young workers to afford the cost of owning a home, while struggling seniors, he believed, would be the biggest beneficiaries.
But in his quest to change the tax system, he has come across an unlikely foe—his elderly friends. Like South, a former engineer who estimates he earns a retirement income that’s 30 to 40 per cent above the $86,000 household average in Kingston, many of his friends also pull in six-figure retirement incomes. Thanks to their high earnings, many would end up paying more in taxes under South’s plan than they do under the existing property tax system. Some, he says, resent the idea of paying more in tax than their younger, lower-income neighbours. “There’s not many that would have an income much less than $100,000, so their taxes will go up,” he says. “But they shouldn’t expect to be subsidized by the poor.”
South’s struggle to reform the property tax system, and the resistance he’s found among his affluent elderly friends, underscores what has been a remarkable shift in the nature of wealth in Canada. Seniors have long been considered society’s most vulnerable citizens, fragile pensioners on fixed incomes in need of a financial helping hand from both government and agile younger workers. That was true decades ago, but not anymore. Thanks to stock market booms, economic growth, a soaring real estate market and a major expansion in both private and government pension plans, today’s seniors are arguably the wealthiest generation in history. The changing fortunes of the elderly have been both swift and profound. In the 1970s, nearly 40 per cent of Canadian seniors lived in poverty. Today it’s five per cent, half the poverty rate of the working-age population and one-third the rate of poverty among children.
Seniors have seen their wealth quadruple since 1984, according to a Bank of Montreal study released last month, far outpacing the growth of wealth among younger Canadians. The stunning transformation of the balance sheets of the elderly is thanks to a combination of financial discipline, public policy and good timing. Many of today’s seniors were the babies born in the aftermath of the Great Depression who learned to abhor debt and save aggressively. (The average Canadian senior has a debt load equal to just five per cent of their total wealth, compared to a 99 per cent debt-to-wealth ratio for their Boomer children.) At the same time as they were socking away their hard-earned money, seniors got a major boost from the introduction of public benefits like Canada Pension Plan, Old Age Security and taxpayer-funded health care, which has helped push the poverty rate among elderly Canadians to one of the lowest in the Western world. Many benefited from decades of economic growth while being spared the brunt of the 2008 meltdown because they had already shifted their savings into low-risk investments when they retired, says Goshka Folda, senior managing director of research firm Investor Economics. During the depth of the recession in 2009, 86 per cent of retirees told Statistics Canada researchers that they weren’t financially stressed and were living better in retirement than they had expected.

Not everyone is benefiting from these changes, however. The fortunes of younger Canadians haven’t improved nearly as much as they have for the elderly. In the 1980s, the typical senior was four times wealthier than the average 20-something. Today’s seniors are now on average nine times richer than their Millennial grandchildren. In fact, many of the trends and policies that have worked in favour of seniors have come at the expense of younger generations. That’s led some to warn of a coming generational war if public focus and resources aren’t shifted away from seniors to younger workers who are struggling far more than their parents ever did.

I am a senior and own nothing. I live frugally and have never been wealthy. I know of many many many more in similar circumstances. No wealthy husband either. This story stinks.

I am a senior who is not wealthy, does not have a wealthy husband or family and is own nada. Most seniors fall init this category. This story is very misleading.

Zipperfish

House Member
Apr 12, 2013
Vancouver
It doesn't matter of the seniors are rich or poor. They are the controlling demographic and they will mold society to suit their needs. They will see the health care system through to their dotage, after which it will likely collapse from lack of funds. Thta's just how the cookie crumbkles, I'm afraid.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
There should be a reward for surviving to a certain age. There should be a celebration of grandparents and our elders. The small things we do for them are just that...small

Without our elders we are lost. We will struggle unneccessarily. Their accumulated knowledge is worth it.

For those elders who are rich: Imagine working your whole life to what end then? Do they not deserve the money they've managed to save, invest wisely, not loose?

We all have a chance to get to old age.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I made no secret of the fact that I see this generation as the the most selfish in history.

I think your vision is in dire need of checking and most likely severe adjustment! -:)

Tamsin McMahon
September 6, 2014

At age 89, Larry South would have been forgiven if he had chosen to retire on a sunny beach in Florida. Instead, the former MPP from Kingston,

I think you have to be careful not to tar all seniors with the same brush, although I would agree that on average seniors born after 1935 are better off than those born earlier. But even so to categorize seniors as being wealthy (or selfish) is just plain wrong. I know seniors who have literally spent $thousands for their children's and grandchildren's education. The generation previous to mine could buy a good house for under $10,000, while I'm still trying to pay off the remaining $100,000 on a house now valued at about $250,000. The generation before mine could buy a brand new vehicle for under $4000. We've benefitted from 40 years of good employment opportunities and few wars or depressions but are still far from either rich or greedy. The up and coming generation today have far more "toys" and comforts than my generation ever did. We packed a lunch bucket to work, we didn't eat at fast food joints.

It doesn't matter of the seniors are rich or poor. They are the controlling demographic and they will mold society to suit their needs. They will see the health care system through to their dotage, after which it will likely collapse from lack of funds. Thta's just how the cookie crumbkles, I'm afraid.

By the same token our generation (those born at the time of W.W.2 may have looked after our health more than the younger generation. We don't appear to be as obese of out of shape.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
There should be a reward for surviving to a certain age. There should be a celebration of grandparents and our elders. The small things we do for them are just that...small

Without our elders we are lost. We will struggle unneccessarily. Their accumulated knowledge is worth it.

For those elders who are rich: Imagine working your whole life to what end then? Do they not deserve the money they've managed to save, invest wisely, not loose?

We all have a chance to get to old age.

Once in awhile you run into a young "snot nose" with all the "answers" (who can talk the talk but has never walked the walk)-:)

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Once in awhile you run into a young "snot nose" with all the "answers" (who can talk the talk but has never walked the walk)-:)

yes, well sometimes the hats we try on when we are young make us feel we more confident then we ought to.

Thank the stars we are able to learn throughout our life. Not just at the beginning.

I am also very greatful there was no youtube or personal video recording devices during my super stupid moments...

Zipperfish

House Member
Apr 12, 2013
Vancouver
I made no secret of the fact that I see this generation as the the most selfish in history.

I don't think that's it. It's just the way democracy works. Tyranny of the majority, though not through any desire of the majority to be tyrannical. It would be the same for any generation.

I imagine health care and senior care is going to become a much more important debate over the next little while.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
yes, well sometimes the hats we try on when we are young make us feel we more confident then we ought to.

Thank the stars we are able to learn throughout our life. Not just at the beginning.

I am also very greatful there was no youtube or personal video recording devices during my super stupid moments...

Yep, but being stupid is how you gain experience and hopefully wisdom. -:)

You are making the same old stupid mistake of "tarring everyone (within a generation) with the same brush" -:)

I don't think that's it. It's just the way democracy works.

Perhaps it has more to do with a generation who took advantage of a favourable situation. That has more to do with smarts than selfishness. -:)

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Oh. it is always nice to blame our lives on someone else. The sheeple are baaaahhing at the fence again. Let's blame seniors because corporations sent all the jobs to China. Lets blame them because the government ran up dept to the World bank instead of using our own bank. Let's call them useless feeders and leave them in poverty for building this country so you can sit around and whine and complain about how easy it is to survive on $12 thousand a year.

Why no treat children the same way. They are useless feeders too. Man these Gen X's are a bunch of self centered d!ckheads. (ain't generalizations a biatch!)

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Wealthy and liquid are two wholly separate states.

You can spend your home equity one shopping cart at a time.

Oh. it is always nice to blame our lives on someone else. The sheeple are baaaahhing at the fence again. Let's blame seniors because corporations sent all the jobs to China. Lets blame them because the government ran up dept to the World bank instead of using our own bank. Let's call them useless feeders and leave them in poverty for building this country so you can sit around and whine and complain about how easy it is to survive on $12 thousand a year.

Why no treat children the same way. They are useless feeders too. Man these Gen X's are a bunch of self centered d!ckheads. (ain't generalizations a biatch!)

You are the evil Corporations. There is no way out.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

No worries Cliffy, just one whining brat (who is able to spend summers on the golf course) while denigrating the rest of the people older than he is. I get a lot of enjoyment just "handing his sh*t back to him". -:)