Transgender is a Mental Disorder

Colpy
+3
Dr. Paul R. McHugh, the former psychiatrist-in-chief for Johns Hopkins Hospital (external - login to view) and its current Distinguished Service Professor of Psychiatry, said that transgenderism is a “mental disorder” that merits treatment, that sex change is “biologically impossible,” and that people who promote sexual reassignment surgery are collaborating with and promoting a mental disorder. Dr. McHugh, the author of six books and at least 125 peer-reviewed medical articles, made his remarks in a recent commentary (external - login to view) in the Wall Street Journal, where he explained that transgender surgery is not the solution for people who suffer a “disorder of ‘assumption’” – the notion that their maleness or femaleness is different than what nature assigned to them biologically.
He also reported on a new study showing that the suicide rate among transgendered people who had reassignment surgery is 20 times higher than the suicide rate among non-transgender people. Dr. McHugh further noted studies from Vanderbilt University and London’s Portman Clinic of children who had expressed transgender feelings but for whom, over time, 70%-80% “spontaneously lost those feelings.”
While the Obama administration, Hollywood, and major media such as Time magazine promote transgenderism as normal, said Dr. McHugh, these “policy makers and the media are doing no favors either to the public or the transgendered by treating their confusions as a right in need of defending rather than as a mental disorder that deserves understanding, treatment and prevention.”
“This intensely felt sense of being transgendered constitutes a mental disorder in two respects. The first is that the idea of sex misalignment is simply mistaken – it does not correspond with physical reality. The second is that it can lead to grim psychological outcomes.”
The transgendered person’s disorder, said Dr. McHugh (external - login to view), is in the person’s “assumption” that they are different than the physical reality of their body, their maleness or femaleness, as assigned by nature. It is a disorder similar to a “dangerously thin” person suffering anorexia who looks in the mirror and thinks they are “overweight,” said McHugh.
This assumption, that one’s gender is only in the mind regardless of anatomical reality, has led some transgendered people to push for social acceptance and affirmation of their own subjective “personal truth,” said Dr. McHugh. As a result, some states – California, New Jersey, and Massachusetts – have passed laws barring psychiatrists, “even with parental permission, from striving to restore natural gender feelings to a transgender minor,” he said.
The pro-transgender advocates do not want to know, said McHugh, that studies show between 70% and 80% of children who express transgender feelings “spontaneously lose those feelings” over time. Also, for those who had sexual reassignment surgery, most said they were “satisfied” with the operation “but their subsequent psycho-social adjustments were no better than those who didn’t have the surgery.”
“And so at Hopkins we stopped doing sex-reassignment surgery, since producing a ‘satisfied’ but still troubled patient seemed an inadequate reason for surgically amputating normal organs,” said Dr. McHugh.
The former Johns Hopkins chief of psychiatry also warned against enabling or encouraging certain subgroups of the transgendered, such as young people “susceptible to suggestion from ‘everything is normal’ sex education,” and the schools’ “diversity counselors” who, like “cult leaders,” may “encourage these young people to distance themselves from their families and offer advice on rebutting arguments against having transgender surgery.”
Dr. McHugh also reported that there are “misguided doctors” who, working with very young children who seem to imitate the opposite sex, will administer “puberty-delaying hormones to render later sex-change surgeries less onerous – even though the drugs stunt the children’s growth and risk causing sterility.”
Such action comes “close to child abuse,” said Dr. McHugh, given that close to 80% of those kids will “abandon their confusion and grow naturally into adult life if untreated ….”
“’Sex change’ is biologically impossible,” said McHugh. “People who undergo sex-reassignment surgery do not change from men to women or vice versa. Rather, they become feminized men or masculinized women. Claiming that this is civil-rights matter and encouraging surgical intervention is in reality to collaborate with and promote a mental disorder.”

Johns Hopkins Psychiatrist: Transgender is ‘Mental Disorder;' Sex Change ‘Biologically Impossible’ | CNS News (external - login to view)

Tecumsehsbones
+4
If electro-shock don't work, try beating it out of them.

B00Mer
+1 / -1

Walter
+1
This is news?

Colpy
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by TecumsehsbonesView Post

If electro-shock don't work, try beating it out of them.

I'd say just stop encouraging them would be a good start.

Tecumsehsbones
+4
Quote: Originally Posted by WalterView Post

This is news?

The best part is that nobody, and I mean NOBODY, has fewer rights than a mental patient. Guantanamo detainees have more rights. You can torture mental patients at will. Call it "therapy," and it's all good. Hell, you can murder them. Call it an "unfortunate outcome," and there'll be no questions.

Look up "Natalia Gorbanevskaya."

Interesting how people who claim to love freedom and democracy are so hot to use Soviet tactics to control people who fail to conform.

Colpy
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by TecumsehsbonesView Post

The best part is that nobody, and I mean NOBODY, has fewer rights than a mental patient. Guantanamo detainees have more rights. You can torture mental patients at will. Call it "therapy," and it's all good. Hell, you can murder them. Call it an "unfortunate outcome," and there'll be no questions.

Look up "Natalia Gorbanevskaya."

Interesting how people who claim to love freedom and democracy are so hot to use Soviet tactics to control people who fail to conform.

I absolutely agree.

My best friend, who died in 2006, spent 30 years in "treatment" of one form or another. I asked him once what kind of crazy he was.

"Well", he told me, "I was schizophrenic when that was cool, then I was manic depressive, now I guess I'm bi-polar, and I'll have the new mental disease of the week next Wednesday"

He was a smart guy.

He drank himself to death.

Tecumsehsbones
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by ColpyView Post

I absolutely agree.

My best friend, who died in 2006, spent 30 years in "treatment" of one form or another. I asked him once what kind of crazy he was.

"Well", he told me, "I was schizophrenic when that was cool, then I was manic depressive, now I guess I'm bi-polar, and I'll have the new mental disease of the week next Wednesday"

He was a smart guy.

He drank himself to death.

And I salute him. At least he went out on his own terms. I'm totally serious. Your friend, for all his pain and confusion, seized control of his own life. He died a free man.

Who can ask for more?

Tonington
+1

He also reported on a new study showing that the suicide rate among transgendered people who had reassignment surgery is 20 times higher than the suicide rate among non-transgender people.

That is a really stupid comparison...if you want to use statistics to evaluate the danger of reassignment surgery, then you campare apples to apples, that is, those transgenders who had the surgery and those who did not. That gives you an odds ratio with a meaningful evaluation of the risks.

Sheesh. One hundred and twenty-five peer reviewed articles? See this is what happens when scientists go emeritus. That statement would never pass review. But there's nothing to stop it from appearing credible in the popular press.

This same man thinks that because the response to trauma isn't always post-traumatic stress disorder, that somehow it invalidates the diagnosis. Which is utter foolishness.

Tecumsehsbones
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by ToningtonView Post

That is a really stupid comparison...if you want to use statistics to evaluate the danger of reassignment surgery, then you campare apples to apples, that is, those transgenders who had the surgery and those who did not. That gives you an odds ratio with a meaningful evaluation of the risks.

What's stupid is your presumption that Copy is interested in a valid comparison.

Sorry, Ton, you're a world away from stupid, but c'mon. Talking to a propagandist about legitimate argumentation? Please.

Ludlow
And what did the expert conclude on hermaphrodites? Which "choice" do they make to escape the category of mentally impaired.? Everyone has all the answers.

gerryh
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by LudlowView Post

And what did the expert conclude on hermaphrodites? Which "choice" do they make to escape the category of mentally impaired.? Everyone has all the answers.

Not the same thing at all.

Colpy

Sheesh. One hundred and twenty-five peer reviewed articles? See this is what happens when scientists go emeritus. That statement would never pass review. But there's nothing to stop it from appearing credible in the popular press.

This same man thinks that because the response to trauma isn't always post-traumatic stress disorder, that somehow it invalidates the diagnosis. Which is utter foolishness.

Actually, no it is not.

The comparison is to the baseline of "normal" people.

Comparing it to other crazies that simply haven't had surgery would be misleading.

And I doubt such stats exist, as most transgenders that have not had surgery fly beneath the radar, so to speak.

#juan

Actually, no it is not.

Comparing it to other crazies that simply haven't had surgery would be misleading.

And I doubt such stats exist, as most transgenders that have not had surgery fly beneath the radar, so to speak.

You mean if a guy is transgender, it is often in his head.....

gerryh
Quote: Originally Posted by #juanView Post

and, you do realize, that there is a difference between homosexual and transgender, right?

Nuggler
+5
#16  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by #juanView Post

Hence, :"peckerhead"............

Quote: Originally Posted by gerryhView Post

and, you do realize, that there is a difference between homosexual and transgender, right?

You have the inside track on that........?

Kinda thought you might.

Tonington

Actually, no it is not.

Do you understand what a population is, and how to evaluate treatment outcomes? You obviously do not.

I'll tell you why the doctors stats are misleading and the comparison is stupid. He is contending that the surgery is dangerous, and that the people who offer the surgery are promoting mental disorder. To bolster his case, he compares people who are transgenedered and have had the surgery, to people who are not transgenedered, so the surgery isn't even an option for treating.

Here, let's put in other terms which maybe you'll understand. Heart disease. If you want to establish the efficacy, or harm of a treatment, you would look to make comparisons between a similar population that only differs by treatment. Some kind of heart disease diagnosis, and then split that population into those that received the treatment and those that did not. Evaluate outcomes for both groups. Comparing the harm of a treatment to a population to which it doesn't apply is illogical.

Thus, I call it stupid. I had considered replying to Tbone to say that I'm sure you overlooked it. Glad I did not.

Colpy
+1

Do you understand what a population is, and how to evaluate treatment outcomes? You obviously do not.

I'll tell you why the doctors stats are misleading and the comparison is stupid. He is contending that the surgery is dangerous, and that the people who offer the surgery are promoting mental disorder. To bolster his case, he compares people who are transgenedered and have had the surgery, to people who are not transgenedered, so the surgery isn't even an option for treating.

Here, let's put in other terms which maybe you'll understand. Heart disease. If you want to establish the efficacy, or harm of a treatment, you would look to make comparisons between a similar population that only differs by treatment. Some kind of heart disease diagnosis, and then split that population into those that received the treatment and those that did not. Evaluate outcomes for both groups. Comparing the harm of a treatment to a population to which it doesn't apply is illogical.

Thus, I call it stupid. I had considered replying to Tbone to say that I'm sure you overlooked it. Glad I did not.

Baloney.

Even if you could pin down the population of pre-operative transgenders, the stats would be so very skewed........say if that population had a suicide rate of 50% more than those that completed the operation, the conclusion would be that the operation was an effective treatment, and THAT is BS..........as the rate of post operative suicides would STILL be 20 times the norm.

Both pre and post operative transgenders suffer from a mental disease. Engaging in surgery to support their delusions is NOT a treatment, it is abuse. Same as EST. A fad that destroys the patient.

That simple.

BTW, the John Hopkins Medical School is the second best on earth, only the Harvard Medical School is better.

Perhaps you should argue with them.

Ludlow
Can anyone spell "encapsulate".

gerryh
Quote: Originally Posted by NugglerView Post

You have the inside track on that........?

Kinda thought you might.

At least I have "come out", unlike you who continues to hide and denigrate.

Tonington

Baloney.

Lol, no it's not. This is standard scientific practice Colpy. You state a hypothesis and test it. You test it on the most homogenous population you can, and then evaluate outcomes based on differences that we can control for. Would it help you if I simply called one of them the control group?

If you think it's OK to compare the treatment responses of a healthy athlete with no heart disease diagnosis, and someone that has some form of cardiovascular trauma, then you're not able to have this discussion.

Quote:

Even if you could pin down the population of pre-operative transgenders, the stats would be so very skewed.

Yes, well that sometimes happens. We don't have the luxury of doing bad analysis because the population distribution isn't to our liking.

Quote:

.......say if that population had a suicide rate of 50% more than those that completed the operation, the conclusion would be that the operation was an effective treatment, and THAT is BS

Lol, is it? You may not like the answer, but that is clearly the conclusion you have to draw from that.

I see your problem now, you call anything that you don't like or agree with BS, or skewed. See, to us practicing scientists, this means something different. Skewed means the population deviates from some assumed distribution. So, what does that tell you about the assumption?

Quote:

..........as the rate of post operative suicides would STILL be 20 times the norm.

Nobody is denying that people like transgendered aren't at a higher risk of suicide Colpy. Your good doctor is saying however that the treatment is dangerous and ineffective, however he's not using good data to support his claims.

Quote:

BTW, the John Hopkins Medical School is the second best on earth, only the Harvard Medical School is better.

Perhaps you should argue with them.

Ahh, appeal to authority. I have no problem with John Hopkins or Harvard Medical. But, no scientist worth one pound of lab reagent or more would ever accept results simply because it came from some institution...that's ridiculous.

I do have a problem with scientists who make claims in the popular press that they know damned well they would not get away with in the scientific publishing. You know, avoiding the self-correcting nature of science, by having their conclusions reviewed by people who know what skewed means. Scientific peers.

This discussion we're having is what the peer review process is designed for. It's clear you don't understand that.

You never hesitate to tell people who don't have a good grasp of history exactly that. I'm telling you that you don't have a good grasp of the scientific method.

skookumchuck
+1
And of course Ton, you have a good grasp because you get paid for being a scientist. Nice try.

Tonington
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by skookumchuckView Post

And of course Ton, you have a good grasp because you get paid for being a scientist. Nice try.

No, instead of saying 'I'm a scientist, trust me', you know, I actually explained myself.

Colpy throwing scientific methods developed and used successfully over the last 4 centuries out the window:
"Controls, we don't need no stinking controls!"
You guys are hilarious.

Walter

Colpy throwing scientific methods developed and used successfully over the last 4 centuries out the window:

Sounds like the AGW crowd.

Tonington
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by WalterView Post

Sounds like the AGW crowd.

Lol, an article of faith among the illiterati.

damngrumpy
+1
If someone is different don't forget to label them, when you can't fit them into
a quality label declare they have a mental condition. Can't we just leave them
alone? We don't find them acceptable because they make us uncomfortable
That is not a reason to label them they are who the are just accept the fact.
Some do develop mental issues and that's because we pressure them with labels
and silent abuse.
I find radical religious people fundamentalists like the Westburro Baptist Church
or ISIS to have a mental condition also but you don't have label them they label
themselves and carry guns.

Tecumsehsbones
+1

No, instead of saying 'I'm a scientist, trust me', you know, I actually explained myself.

Foolish Tonington. That's not scientific method. Scientific method is believing whatever the guy with the fanciest credentials says, or perhaps what the "consensus" of most of the guys with the fancy credentials are. Or, not to put too fine an edge on it, believing the guy who puts a pseudo-scientific gloss on your prejudices and arguing that he must be right coz he's got fancy paper on the wall.

All this forming of hypotheses and testing those hypotheses is just Galilean superstition. Appeal to authority is how you get to The Truth.

JLM

Dr. Paul R. McHugh, the former psychiatrist-in-chief for Johns Hopkins Hospital (external - login to view) and its current Distinguished Service Professor of Psychiatry, said that transgenderism is a “mental disorder” that merits treatment, that sex change is “biologically impossible,” and that people who promote sexual reassignment surgery are collaborating with and promoting a mental disorder. Dr. McHugh, the author of six books and at least 125 peer-reviewed medical articles, made his remarks in a recent commentary (external - login to view) in the Wall Street Journal, where he explained that transgender surgery is not the solution for people who suffer a “disorder of ‘assumption’” – the notion that their maleness or femaleness is different than what nature assigned to them biologically.

Makes perfect sense to me but what would an old "dinosaur" like me know about it. People are so f**Ked up nowadays that it is hard to say what is normal!

damngrumpy
All the people who think we're normal are crazy

JLM
Quote: Originally Posted by damngrumpyView Post

All the people who think we're normal are crazy

\

And all the people who are crazy are normal!

no new posts