Boy, 9, marries 62-year-old mother of five... again

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Boy, 9, marries 62-year-old mother of five... again
QMI Agency
First posted: Friday, July 18, 2014 12:31 PM EDT | Updated: Friday, July 18, 2014 12:51 PM EDT
He'd be the ring boy at any other wedding, but earlier this week a nine-year-old South African boy walked down the aisle as the groom when he married a 62-year-old woman for the second time, according to local reports.
Saneie Masilela plans to marry someone his own age one day, but says he loves mother-of-five Helen Shabangu and wanted to go through the ritual to appease his family's ancestors, the U.K. Mirror reports.
A video uploaded to YouTube by U.K.-based Barcroft Media shows the bride and groom sharing a kiss after the ceremony, while Shabangu's 67-year-old husband Alfred looks on.
It was the second wedding for the woman and the schoolboy, this time in her village of Ximhungwe, making official the rite performed last year in his village.
The couple does not live together.
The Mirror quotes Masilela's mother, Patience, as saying: "After the wedding, everything went back to normal -- nothing changed."
Saneie Masilela, a nine-year-old South African boy, walked down the aisle as the groom when he married a 62-year-old woman for the second time. (Screenshot from YouTube)

Second Wedding For 9-year-old Boy & His 61-year-old Wife - YouTube
Boy, 9, marries 62-year-old mother of five... again | Weird | News | Toronto Sun

QuebecCanadian

Electoral Member
Apr 13, 2014
Saneie Masilela plans to marry someone his own age one day, but says he loves mother-of-five Helen Shabangu and wanted to go through the ritual to appease his family's ancestors, the U.K. Mirror reports
This is what I'd like to hear more about.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
ya'd think she could have at least removed the old chipped nail polish for her wedding day

hope all of her dead ancestors are appeased.

tradition

so important to follow tradition, even when it's stupid....it's tradition

gotta follow

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
ya'd think she could have at least removed the old chipped nail polish for her wedding day

hope all of her dead ancestors are appeased.

tradition

so important to follow tradition, even when it's stupid....it's tradition

gotta follow

Actually I kind of take the opposite view on this one. Don't get me wrong, I find it weird, but then a lot of unfamiliar traditions can be defined in that way to those who are unfamiliar with them.

While I'm sure many generations ago this would have been an actual marriage, I see what they are doing as more symbolic. And that, to my point of view, is a far better way to tie the past (tradition) to the present, modern world. At least I think it's far better than some customs where a pair of nine years old are actually wed to one another or something along those lines.

It is strange though.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Actually I kind of take the opposite view on this one. Don't get me wrong, I find it weird, but then a lot of unfamiliar traditions can be defined in that way to those who are unfamiliar with them.

While I'm sure many generations ago this would have been an actual marriage, I see what they are doing as more symbolic. And that, to my point of view, is a far better way to tie the past (tradition) to the present, modern world. At least I think it's far better than some customs where a pair of nine years old are actually wed to one another or something along those lines.

It is strange though.

good outlook

I on the other hand am not a traditionalist thus see little to no value...but to each his own

I am betting you are right on the marriage thing, years ago it would have been real

her current husband looked really pleased with the whole thing didn't he?

he looks like a bit of a non traditionalist to me, lol

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
good outlook

I on the other hand am not a traditionalist thus see little to no value...but to each his own

I am betting you are right on the marriage thing, years ago it would have been real

her current husband looked really pleased with the whole thing didn't he?

he looks like a bit of a non traditionalist to me, lol

I'm not a huge traditionalist either. Aside from some small family traditions, there really isn't anything I've ever been involved in that's traditional. But I know, and perhaps this is coming from my 'heinz 57, Canadian mutt' background, there have been times when I've been a tad envious of a more 'community' traditional experience. Not even sure that envious is the right word necessarily, but I've seen friends and acquaintances who are part of a larger cultural community and how even simple traditions shared amongst those in their community bring them a real joy. There is an inter-connectedness to it. So I'm not anti-tradition either.

Frankly it's still bizarre to me to have a nine year old even symbolically marry a 67 year old. But if it satisfies some kind of tie to their cultural past and provided it's only symbolic, then whatever floats their boat I guess.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I'm not a huge traditionalist either. Aside from some small family traditions, there really isn't anything I've ever been involved in that's traditional.
guess that includes skipping the summer bbq ;-)

But I know, and perhaps this is coming from my 'heinz 57, Canadian mutt' background, there have been times when I've been a tad envious of a more 'community' traditional experience. Not even sure that envious is the right word necessarily, but I've seen friends and acquaintances who are part of a larger cultural community and how even simple traditions shared amongst those in their community bring them a real joy. There is an inter-connectedness to it. So I'm not anti-tradition either.
yeah I do actually hear you there, Romanian, Polish, Italian, Lithuanian... they all hate it when they are young getting dragged out but in later years they love it and drag their kids too, course they hate half of the people there, but that's part of the love

Frankly it's still bizarre to me to have a nine year old even symbolically marry a 67 year old. But if it satisfies some kind of tie to their cultural past and provided it's only symbolic, then whatever floats their boat I guess.
agreed, see the little suit, it looked pretty cool. He looked like he had not a clue what was happening or why. lol.... do I get a toy at the end?

QuebecCanadian

Electoral Member
Apr 13, 2014

It is strange though.
Yeah, I agree....but the kiss is over the top, imo

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
guess that includes skipping the summer bbq ;-)

Actually I pretty much enjoy my family, I know who the best joke tellers are anyway and just make a beeline for them, lol. But it's the drama they seem to have with each other that I can do without, and there always seems to be something. Sigh.

yeah I do actually hear you there, Romanian, Polish, Italian, Lithuanian... they all hate it when they are young getting dragged out but in later years they love it and drag their kids too, course they hate half of the people there, but that's part of the love

There was, as a child I can recall, a sense of missing being a part of something larger than just the 'nuclear family'. It was strange and unknown to me but also oddly appealing in it's own way. Sometimes I still get that feeling.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
agreed, see the little suit, it looked pretty cool. He looked like he had not a clue what was happening or why. lol.... do I get a toy at the end?

I think he knew exactly what he was doing and what was going on. After all, this was the second ceremony, the first being in HIS village the year before. From his statement below, I don't think there is any doubt about whether or not he had a "clue".

Saneie Masilela plans to marry someone his own age one day, but says he loves mother-of-five Helen Shabangu and wanted to go through the ritual to appease his family's ancestors, the U.K. Mirror reports

Yeah, I agree....but the kiss is over the top, imo

Yeah there is an 'ick' factor there.

Why? Over the top or "ick" when Grandma kisses you? It was a kiss, nobody said anything about her jamming her tongue down his throat or rubbing his balls at the same time.

QuebecCanadian

Electoral Member
Apr 13, 2014
I think he knew exactly what he was doing and what was going on. After all, this was the second ceremony, the first being in HIS village the year before. From his statement below, I don't think there is any doubt about whether or not he had a "clue".

Why? Over the top or "ick" when Grandma kisses you? It was a kiss, nobody said anything about her jamming her tongue down his throat or rubbing his balls at the same time.
Because she isn't his Grandma and she is 61 and he's 9.

Grandma doesn't kiss on the lips during a ritualistic marriage. 'cept maybe in Arkansas.

QuebecCanadian

Electoral Member
Apr 13, 2014
and you would know this because you have such a deep and extensive knowledge of these types of ceremonies, right?
Geez Gerry, lighten up. I know nothing about the ceremony....and I'm pretty sure I said up there ^ that I'd be curious to know more. The photo just gives me the heebie jeebies is all.

I guess you can see through my bullsh*t. :)