Are laptop users hogging Wi-Fi, tables ruining Toronto coffee shops?

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
With more people logging onto the Internet also comes a dilemma for coffee shops — to give their customers free Wi-Fi at the same time ensuring the laptop crowd don’t hog space all day.

In Toronto, many of the big-chain and independent coffee shops say WiFi users lingering for hours is rarely a problem, but most nonetheless have policies in place in case they need to, ever so politely, clear the table.

gtfo

Free Wi-Fi gets tricky for businesses | Toronto Star

QuebecCanadian

Electoral Member
Apr 13, 2014
With people nursing a coffee over 2 hours. I can't understood how free Wi-Fi makes these places any money. I don't think they get more people and without it turn around is much faster. I've left a coffee shop because all the tables were taken by singular people with computers or books sprawled on the table.

JamesBondo

House Member
Mar 3, 2012
sounds like a no brainer. there is a reasonable limitation to how long a person can have a table. post it as a store policy on the wall, the enforce it during peak demand hours.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
with the number of people rushing through Timmies, it shouldn't be a problem...if they don't offer wifi, it might become a problem for people who need to work for a bit

not my thing to sit in a coffee shop but I know people who meet there daily before work for an hour or two...that's a guaranteed customer base

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
First time I used wifi at a starbucks was about five years ago. If I recall correctly there was a time limit for each person online of about an hour or two. Once that time was up the internet stopped working for the day. They could always do that again. The only reason I go to starbucks or other such places is for the wifi but I generally do not stay long. An hour is my average though sometimes it will be as little as ten minutes. If there was no wifi I would not go at all. I assume quite a few others would stop going as well.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
With more people logging onto the Internet also comes a dilemma for coffee shops — to give their customers free Wi-Fi at the same time ensuring the laptop crowd don’t hog space all day.

In Toronto, many of the big-chain and independent coffee shops say WiFi users lingering for hours is rarely a problem, but most nonetheless have policies in place in case they need to, ever so politely, clear the table.

gtfo

Free Wi-Fi gets tricky for businesses | Toronto Star

Seem like a lot of people need to "get a life"!

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
We used to have big complaints like that here in Gopherland - but once the Twin Cities became wired for wifi our libraries became the biggest hot spots. Some companies such as coin operated laundries and even auto repair services have that as well. Now the coffee shops are no longer as crowded or as popular as they used to be.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I used to wonder why kids were lurking around the school across the way at all hours of the night then I noticed they were using gadgets and it dawned on me. It doesn't matter if it's 5am in a blizzard. There they are gadgeting away.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I used to wonder why kids were lurking around the school across the way at all hours of the night then I noticed they were using gadgets and it dawned on me. It doesn't matter if it's 5am in a blizzard. There they are gadgeting away.

It's a sickness!

And sometimes thought about in even less. :)

There's a term for it......................banter! -:)

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
8OOh the horror, the degradation. eh. :dontknow:

"1st World Problem" was my first thought.

Gee, there's a real problem with hipster Macbook users sipping their Mocha Chai Late Grande Alfredos while writing their screenplays that nobody will ever see. Guess their lame attempts at making themselves seem sophisticated might be cutting into the profits of the businesses that enable their BS in the first place.

Amount of Sh*t Given?

Zero.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
"1st World Problem" was my first thought.

Gee, there's a real problem with hipster Macbook users sipping their Mocha Chai Late Grande Alfredos while writing their screenplays that nobody will ever see. Guess their lame attempts at making themselves seem sophisticated might be cutting into the profits of the businesses that enable their BS in the first place.

Amount of Sh*t Given?

Zero.

Dunno why people are so willing to use these laptops in public as it is said there's a big risk involved - I've heard others can easily tap into your online conversations and steal vital information. Small wonder why there is so much identity theft nowadays.