Child Obesity 'Caused by Overprotective Mothers'

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Overly protective mothers can cause their children to become obese, a study has found. Researchers from the Telethon Kids Institute analysed data from the Longitudinal Study of Australian Children and identified a connection between overprotective parenting and the rate of child obesity.

According to the paper, published on PLOS ONE, children whose mothers had high levels of protectiveness were more likely to be overweight or obese at 10-11 years of age, than those whose mothers showed average levels of protectiveness.

"We found that kids had up to a 13% higher risk of being overweight or obese if their mum had above-average protectiveness, but the pattern only emerged when kids were about 10 or 11 years old," lead author Kirsten Hancock said.

"Whilst there's no clear indication why this age group is most affected, we believe it may be related to their level of independence."

Hancock added: "This is an age when kids are usually allowed to start walking or riding to school on their own and play more independently with friends and be more mobile, but those children with overprotective parents may not be getting this opportunity and this could be impacting on their physical health and wellbeing."

The study also showed that there were higher levels of maternal protectiveness amongst disadvantaged families including those with lower levels of income and lower levels of maternal education.

However, researchers said further study was needed to explain why these groups are more affected.

"Further research is now recommended. It's also important to look at the protectiveness levels of mums and dads combined, and what sort of effect this has for kids," Hancock concluded.

Child Obesity 'Caused by Overprotective Mothers'

damn mothers

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
hm no wonder my generation were all skinny...."be home before dark" (hope ya cope see ya later)

actually all the kids in my current school are around the same size my generation was which means pretty much bone rack thin with a few kids who are kinda "thick" looking but not even close to obese...I think here in my area anyway...we are on top of the problem...one of the teachers commented that she was reading her six year old a story where the character was going to eat gallons of ice cream and her kid told her that's not healthy mummy...only a bit, and it's a treat.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
Overly active moderators can cause forum participants to become obese, a study has found. Researchers from the Canadian Forum Institute analysed data from the Longitudinal Study of On-line Adults and identified a connection between active moderating and the rate of adult obesity.

Last edited:

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Overly active moderators can cause forum participants to become obese, a study has found. Researchers from the Canadian Forum Institute analysed data from the Longitudinal Study of On-line Adults and identified a connection between active moderating and the rate of adult obesity.

That's just pretty fukkin funny, Spade. Yer likely to be banned...........:lol:

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Well that explains why I was skin and bones as a kid. That and we had to ask for food before meals, The answer was usually no, since it was always just about lunch time or just about dinner time.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Being over protective usually relates to children not being allowed to do much due to "Risks" of getting injured, so the safest thing for them to do is sit at home and play video games their parents approve of.

Interesting that they say mothers and didn't mention over protective fathers.... though I suppose most fathers are like myself, my dad and my grandfathers. I warn my son not to do something cuz they'll get hurt, but if he still wants to show me attitude (he does have quite an attitude at age 2.5) I'll let him get hurt.... now he learned something.

Life Experience first hand.

During the summer breaks, I used to hop on my bike the moment I woke up and had something to eat and wouldn't be back home until night time. Myself and my friends were too busy biking through the forest and logging trails, whacking hornet nests, building camps and forts, climbing trees, skinning their bark and using large branches as a make-shift bungee apparatus.

Grabbing some of my friend's father's .22 blanks he had hidden in his tool box, wrapping them up in paper or toilet paper, lighting them and running away to a safe location as they blew up.

Accidentally almost starting a forest fire with a Wayne Gretzky McDonald's Hockey Cup full of gasoline and some cattails, then accidentally kicking the cup over, sending flames through the woods, then trying to put the fire out by peeing on it. My brother magically put it out with some of his fire bug knowledge 5 mins later while we're all sh*tting ourselves.

Crawling through a sewage drain that passed under a 6 lane highway and median which we all barely fit into.

Pulling our own Stand By Me Train Chase on an old rickety bridge in the middle of nowhere.

It's a miracle any of us lived to be adults..... but hey, we were fit and healthy.

Of course our parents didn't know 1/4 of the things we did at age 10-11 (yes, all of the above was during that age.)

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007

yeah?...well something something something...jerk store.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Well that explains why I was skin and bones as a kid. That and we had to ask for food before meals, The answer was usually no, since it was always just about lunch time or just about dinner time.

Right on Twila, back in the day eating was a necessity of life, not a friggin' social event! -:)