Scientists baffled as Sun activity falls to century low

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
"I've been a solar physicist for 30 years, and I've never seen anything quite like this," Richard Harrison, head of space physics at the Rutherford Appleton Laboratory in Oxfordshire, told the BBC.

"If you want to go back to see when the Sun was this inactive... you've got to go back about 100 years," he said.

The lull is particularly surprising because the Sun has reached its solar maximum, the point in its 11-year cycle where activity is at its peak.

The lacklustre climax also follows a solar minimum – the period when the Sun’s activity troughs – that was longer and lower than had been anticipated.

Mike Lockwood, professor of space environment physics at the University of Reading, told the BBC there was a significant chance that the Sun could become increasingly quiet.

He compared the current circumstances to the latter half of the 17th Century, when the sun went through an extremely quiet phase referred to as the Maunder Minimum.

That era of solar inactivity coincided with bitterly cold winters to Europe, where the Baltic Sea and London's River Thames froze over. Conditions were so harsh that some described it as a mini-Ice Age.

Prof Lockwood says we may see a repeat if the Sun continues to dip, positing that the results would be dominantly felt in Europe due to the flow of an air current in the upper atmosphere that can drive the weather.

"It's a very active research topic at the present time, but we do think there is a mechanism in Europe where we should expect more cold winters when solar activity is low," he said.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
I blame Global Warming. Human CO2 emissions leaked out from the atmosphere and blanketed the sun, blocking most of it's energy from reaching Earth.

For Truly.

But seriously, I have been going on for some time now, like the last few years, stating that we are more likely to head into a mini ice age than we are a global warming stage. Glacial Ice Core data shows the pattern that for the last 100 years or so we've been reaching the peak of temperature increases and about due to start dropping back down.

Last edited:

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Solar activity actually reinforces AGW as temperatures are still increasing even when the sun is on the lower end (coldest end) of it's solar cycle.

If anything, a longer period on the lower end of the spectrum makes the case even more convincing.

Of course, it would be nice to see a link with the actual title of the article so I can verify what this means, but I'm not surprised petros is reverting to cheap tricks.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Why is the climate north and south of 66.6 unique to the rest of the planet and what doesn't protect those portions of the planet from the direct impact of the sun?

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Floss:

I have no idea how you can twist the OP into making it some sort of proof of AGW (Al Gore Weather)

The OP suggested that the Northern Hemisphere, Specifically Europe, will be encountering pretty cold weather, ie: eventually.

And yet, Canada alone has had some blistering winters and a lot more snow (and more often) that I haven't witnessed since I was a child. The last time I encountered the kind of Winters you guys have been having in the last few years (2011 - present), it was the 80's, with the one exception of Nova Scotia's White Juan a few years back.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

And yet, Canada alone has had some blistering winters and a lot more snow (and more often) that I haven't witnessed since I was a child. The last time I encountered the kind of Winters you guys have been having in the last few years (2011 - present), it was the 80's, with the one exception of Nova Scotia's White Juan a few years back.
I'll wager a twoonie that was 1980.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Much ado about nothing. The sun is four and a half billion years old. To conclude that a "century of observation," most of it with inferior tools, can tell us anything useful is laughable.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Of course, it would be nice to see a link with the actual title of the article so I can verify what this means, but I'm not surprised petros is reverting to cheap tricks.
Try googling the thread title or solar activity drops.

Last winter you were lucky enough feel the results of what the sun can do to the magnetosphere. A magnetosphere that is buggering off to Siberia at 80km a year since the early 70's. A magnetosphere that keeps the "polar vortex" in place.

1 degree every 5 years.

Last edited: