Study finds no link between medical marijuana legalization and crime

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Though it may come as no surprise to law-abiding stoners and medicinal pot users, a new study suggests legalizing marijuana for medical use is not associated with an uptick in crime.Even before Washington and Colorado legalized pot for recreational use, opponents were arguing that the drug's proliferation for medicinal purposes would result in higher rates of crime and delinquency. But a new study by researchers at the University of Texas, Dallas, determined that not to be the case.

"The main finding is that we found no increase in crime rates resulting from medical marijuana legalization," explained Dr. Robert Morris, associate professor of criminology and lead author of the study, which was recently published in the journal PLOS ONE. "In fact, we found some evidence of decreasing rates of some types of violent crime, namely homicide and assault."

more

No correlation between medical marijuana legalization, crime increase - UPI.com

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I think someone may be on to something, I guess if bank robberies were legalized there would be no connection to crime. -:)

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Shocking, not. Give them a well enough stocked pantry and these folks would likely never leave the house.

Don't be silly we have to go out to water the weed and pick the goodies to stock the pantry.

I think someone may be on to something, I guess if bank robberies were legalized there would be no connection to crime. -:)

You will be reincarnated into a grow room.

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
The whole medical marijuana debate is really stupid. Deciding what drugs are safe and effective for the treatment of medical issues is not a political question and should not be up to politicians.

Some of the supporters are not helping the cause though. There is a large group of people who support medical marijuana mostly because they see it as a stepping stone for marijuana being legalized for general use. Connecting the two issues scares off lawmakers who might otherwise be indifferent to marijuana being used for strictly medical purposes.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Crime went down after prohibition of alcohol too. Went down to the same levels before prohibition.

There's a Davenport, Iowa (I think that's where the "davenport" originally comes from). You wouldn't like it.

Oh, seedy and dangerous?

I've been to Devonport New Zealand...slightly different but still posh sounding and it was beautiful.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
The whole medical marijuana debate is really stupid. Deciding what drugs are safe and effective for the treatment of medical issues is not a political question and should not be up to politicians.

Who else can make legal what is illegal?

Some of the supporters are not helping the cause though. There is a large group of people who support medical marijuana mostly because they see it as a stepping stone for marijuana being legalized for general use. Connecting the two issues scares off lawmakers who might otherwise be indifferent to marijuana being used for strictly medical purposes.

But that is not far off the mark at all. Medical use is a stepping stone for recreational use. Look at California... you can get a weed card for just about anything. Colorado and Washington have already made it legal for recreation.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Years ago an M.D. came right out and said although marijuana is effective at treating some diseases, there are other drugs that are more effective. Not sure what his credentials were or if in fact there was validity in what he stated!

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Years ago an M.D. came right out and said although marijuana is effective at treating some diseases, there are other drugs that are more effective. Not sure what his credentials were or if in fact there was validity in what he stated!

Like medicinal whiskey?

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Crime went down after prohibition of alcohol too. Went down to the same levels before prohibition.

Oh, seedy and dangerous?

I've been to Devonport New Zealand...slightly different but still posh sounding and it was beautiful.

Nah, just. . . Iowa.

Oh. Oh! Me! Me! I know! Pick me!

The answer is the Supreme Court, Mr. Eaglesmack.

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013

How often does any other potential medication get debated in congress so much? Normally that is delegated to an organization like the FDA that tests drugs for effectiveness and side effects.

But that is not far off the mark at all. Medical use is a stepping stone for recreational use. Look at California... you can get a weed card for just about anything. Colorado and Washington have already made it legal for recreation.

It isn't off the mark because that is how the debate is being framed by people on both sides. It is a shame, since if it is beneficial for people who are sick, they shouldn't be denied access based on political BS.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
It isn't off the mark because that is how the debate is being framed by people on both sides. It is a shame, since if it is beneficial for people who are sick, they shouldn't be denied access based on political BS.

Studies have shown that pot is also good for people with anxiety and those experiencing lonliness. So itshelpful for people who aren't sick per se.

I don't see why some one who enjoys a hoot should be considered a criminal while someone who likes to get drunk is just an average citizen.

Forget the slippery slope arguement. Thats 1950's faulty logic.