'Normal Barbie' Doll With Average Female Body Is Coming to Life


Locutus
+2
#1  Top Rated Post
'bout time



Do you like the idea of Barbie but hate that by even whispering her name you're contributing to the perpetuation of superhuman, hyperheteronormative beauty standards that eternalize a culture of shame? Well, meet Lammily.

Lammily is the forthcoming plastic doll whose motto is, "Average is beautiful." Her body shape is based on averages of data from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control that is more often used to track the American obesity epidemic. She is not affiliated with Mattel's Barbie.


Last year, graphic designer Nickolay Lamm created some concept images of the "Normal Barbie" that became very popular around the Internet. (If you didn't see them, one is to the right.) Today Lamm is launching a project to put the design into production and make the dolls a reality. It's crowd-sourced (external - login to view), it "promotes realistic standards of beauty," and it can be under your holiday tree by late 2014 if enough people support the project.


thick barbie rulz!


'Normal Barbie' Doll With Average Female Body Is Coming to Life - James Hamblin - The Atlantic (external - login to view)
 
L Gilbert
#2
Wifey figured out that if there was a 5'8" Barbie doll, she'd have something like an 8" neck, 3" feet, her legs would only be half her body length, and her eyes would be quite a bit oversized.
Annie says she'd also have DD boobs and a 12" waist. lol
 
SLM
+1
#3
Right on, love the idea.

That said, what the **** kind of name is Lammily????
 
L Gilbert
#4
Quote: Originally Posted by SLMView Post

Right on, love the idea.

That said, what the **** kind of name is Lammily????

Ditto and I dunno bout the name. Thought they were joking about it.
 
SLM
+1
#5
Quote: Originally Posted by L GilbertView Post

Ditto and I dunno bout the name. Thought they were joking about it.

I dunno, the name is littered throughout the article. The creator's last name is Lamm, so I'm guessing it's a vanity thing.

But c'mon! I mean, they're going up against Barbie....why don't they just name her Bertha and be done with it.
 
Sal
+1
#6
Quote: Originally Posted by SLMView Post

But c'mon! I mean, they're going up against Barbie....why don't they just name her Bertha and be done with it.

Don't forget the "big"
 
L Gilbert
#7
Quote: Originally Posted by SLMView Post

I dunno, the name is littered throughout the article. The creator's last name is Lamm, so I'm guessing it's a vanity thing.

Probably.

Quote:

But c'mon! I mean, they're going up against Barbie....why don't they just name her Bertha and be done with it.

lol Yeah. Pretty tough to overturn 55 years of propaganda about how wimmins is sposed to look.
 
SLM
+1
#8
Quote: Originally Posted by SalView Post

Don't forget the "big"

Quote: Originally Posted by L GilbertView Post

Probably.

lol Yeah. Pretty tough to overturn 55 years of propaganda about how wimmins is sposed to look.

They made the doll attractive looking, I guess, pretty face and all. The body, while more realistic is still not something I think anyone would label as "over weight" or "out of shape".

They have a decent shot at making this doll popular, with the right marketing.....and that starts with a name. Meaning a name that will be liked and not have people saying "huh?" when they hear it, lol.

Talk about shooting yourself in the foot.
 
Tecumsehsbones
+2
#9
Coming up next: the realistic body GI Joe. . .


 
lone wolf
#10
That's really going to screw with real plastic surgery "Barbie"
 
SLM
+1
#11
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolfView Post

That's really going to screw with real plastic surgery "Barbie"

It won't be a on going concern, I'm sure she'll be set to take her last 'breath' any day now.
 
Tecumsehsbones
+2
#12
Quote: Originally Posted by SLMView Post

It won't be a on going concern, I'm sure she'll be set to take her last 'breath' any day now.

Only she'll call it "lunch."
 
spaminator
#13
Quote: Originally Posted by SLMView Post

I dunno, the name is littered throughout the article. The creator's last name is Lamm, so I'm guessing it's a vanity thing.

But c'mon! I mean, they're going up against Barbie....why don't they just name her Bertha and be done with it.

I guess they could have named her norma.
 
lone wolf
#14
Quote: Originally Posted by SLMView Post

Right on, love the idea.

That said, what the **** kind of name is Lammily????

Lamm family?

...best guess
 
El Barto
#15
Quote: Originally Posted by L GilbertView Post

Wifey figured out that if there was a 5'8" Barbie doll, she'd have something like an 8" neck, 3" feet, her legs would only be half her body length, and her eyes would be quite a bit oversized.
Annie says she'd also have DD boobs and a 12" waist. lol

What? She has time to do this experiment?
Doesn't she have enough chore to do? ..............


Man I feel safe from behind the keyboard

Quote: Originally Posted by TecumsehsbonesView Post

Coming up next: the realistic body GI Joe. . .


Oh you are a cheeky one
 

Similar Threads

34
no new posts