'Normal Barbie' Doll With Average Female Body Is Coming to Life

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
'bout time

Do you like the idea of Barbie but hate that by even whispering her name you're contributing to the perpetuation of superhuman, hyperheteronormative beauty standards that eternalize a culture of shame? Well, meet Lammily.

Lammily is the forthcoming plastic doll whose motto is, "Average is beautiful." Her body shape is based on averages of data from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control that is more often used to track the American obesity epidemic. She is not affiliated with Mattel's Barbie.

Last year, graphic designer Nickolay Lamm created some concept images of the "Normal Barbie" that became very popular around the Internet. (If you didn't see them, one is to the right.) Today Lamm is launching a project to put the design into production and make the dolls a reality. It's crowd-sourced, it "promotes realistic standards of beauty," and it can be under your holiday tree by late 2014 if enough people support the project.

thick barbie rulz!

'Normal Barbie' Doll With Average Female Body Is Coming to Life - James Hamblin - The Atlantic

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Wifey figured out that if there was a 5'8" Barbie doll, she'd have something like an 8" neck, 3" feet, her legs would only be half her body length, and her eyes would be quite a bit oversized.
Annie says she'd also have DD boobs and a 12" waist. lol

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Ditto and I dunno bout the name. Thought they were joking about it.

I dunno, the name is littered throughout the article. The creator's last name is Lamm, so I'm guessing it's a vanity thing.

But c'mon! I mean, they're going up against Barbie....why don't they just name her Bertha and be done with it. :roll:

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
I dunno, the name is littered throughout the article. The creator's last name is Lamm, so I'm guessing it's a vanity thing.
Probably.

But c'mon! I mean, they're going up against Barbie....why don't they just name her Bertha and be done with it. :roll:
lol Yeah. Pretty tough to overturn 55 years of propaganda about how wimmins is sposed to look.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Don't forget the "big"

Probably.

lol Yeah. Pretty tough to overturn 55 years of propaganda about how wimmins is sposed to look.

They made the doll attractive looking, I guess, pretty face and all. The body, while more realistic is still not something I think anyone would label as "over weight" or "out of shape".

They have a decent shot at making this doll popular, with the right marketing.....and that starts with a name. Meaning a name that will be liked and not have people saying "huh?" when they hear it, lol.

Talk about shooting yourself in the foot.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009

I guess they could have named her norma. ;)

El Barto

les fesses a l'aire
Feb 11, 2007
Quebec
Wifey figured out that if there was a 5'8" Barbie doll, she'd have something like an 8" neck, 3" feet, her legs would only be half her body length, and her eyes would be quite a bit oversized.
Annie says she'd also have DD boobs and a 12" waist. lol
What? She has time to do this experiment? :shock:
Doesn't she have enough chore to do? .............. :D

Man I feel safe from behind the keyboard :D

Coming up next: the realistic body GI Joe. . .

Oh you are a cheeky one :p