Let's Just Stir This Pot A Little More

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Group reconsiders handing out white poppies at ceremony

Daniel Proussalidis, Parliamentary Bureau

Nov 6, 2013 , Last Updated: 1:21 PM ET

OTTAWA — The pacifist group behind a "white poppy" pin campaign is reconsidering whether to hand them out at next week's national Remembrance Day ceremony.
"Certainly we don't want to cause a disruption or offend anybody," Rideau Institute president Steven Staples said Wednesday.
He also said his group only produced about 2,500 pins, featuring the slogan "I Remember for Peace." Staples suggests it's possible they'll run out of the freely distributed pins by Remembrance Day.
The Rideau Institute unveiled the pins Monday with the help of a University of Ottawa activist who said they were meant for young people who "don't want to celebrate war."
The total cost of the poppies was about $1,000, from non-tax deductible donations collected through the year.
Veterans Affairs Minister Julian Fantino called the campaign "totally disrespectful," and the Royal Canadian Legion said veterans would be personally offended by efforts to piggyback on a time to remember their sacrifice.
Staples says he only want to get people talking about military sacrifice.
"I think at this point we're looking at whether we have accomplished what we wanted to do, which was to prompt a discussion," he said. "I think we're always looking at what the next steps will be and making sure that's in keeping with what we want to do."
In the past, the Rideau Institute has distributed stickers and other items with the same "I Remember for Peace" slogan, but this campaign was the first that placed the slogan on a white poppy.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
"Certainly we don't want to cause a disruption or offend anybody," Rideau Institute president Steven Staples said Wednesday.

Well I'll be damned, cool heads and all.

I guess all the vitriol and death threats will stop now.

That would be nice, while we remember those that fell so that we could be free to express ourselves.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I think it's a classy move on their part. There really is absolutely no reason why we cannot respect the reasoning we each hold regarding this event, even if we don't agree with them.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I think it's a classy move on their part. There really is absolutely no reason why we cannot respect the reasoning we each hold regarding this event, even if we don't agree with them.
If I could find one, I'd really like to wear one to the Cenataph on the 11th.

I was assured I would be spat on.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
If I could find one, I'd really like to wear one to the Cenataph on the 11th.

I was assured I would be spat on.

I'd wear both without compunctions.

But I can understand where the vets would be a little put out by the university crowd stating that they're celebrating war. I truly believe from the bottom of my heart that those vets are there to honor their fallen friends.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
But I can understand where the vets would be a little put out by the university crowd stating that they're celebrating war. I truly believe from the bottom of my heart that those vets are there to honor their fallen friends.
Bingo!!!

Our friend and neighbour past away last night, from a second stroke, in less than two months. He was a vet, WWII and Korea. Old Scot, hard livin', and an even harder heart. I've only seen two things move him to tears, the birth of his grandson, and Remembrance Day.

He wasn't misty because he missed war.

I'm really going to miss his singing at the Legion this year.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Bingo!!!

Our friend and neighbour past away last night, from a second stroke, in less than two months. He was a vet, WWII and Korea. Old Scot, hard livin', and an even harder heart. I've only seen two things move him to tears, the birth of his grandson, and Remembrance Day.

My condolences on your friend.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Bingo!!!

My Dad talked about the War- all were the funny side and such- then on a few occasions, drinking and back in that hell he carried inside, he talked to me of some, very few of the horrors. Very few times did he talk about those horrors.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I'd wear both without compunctions.

I wouldn't wear the white one, as to me, it doesn't describe me.... I'm anti-war and pro-vet. A red poppy allows me to support the Legions, while drawing attention to the costs of war.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
My Dad talked about the War- all were the funny side and such- then on a few occasions, drinking and back in that hell he carried inside, he talked to me of some, very few of the horrors. Very few times did he talk about those horrors.
My grandfather was the same way Goobs. He never told me about the horrors. He just made you know that war was hell.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB

Only once did I get my grandmother to talk openly about her experience in Dachau. I have never seen a person with so much fear in their eyes while sitting with family in their own living room 55 years after the fact.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Not many did not talk about those horrors , but many drank themselves to sleep over them .

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.

OTTAWA — The pacifist group behind a "white poppy" pin campaign is reconsidering whether to hand them out at next week's national Remembrance Day ceremony.
He also said his group only produced about 2,500 pins, featuring the slogan "I Remember for Peace." Staples suggests it's possible they'll run out of the freely distributed pins by Remembrance Day.
The Rideau Institute unveiled the pins Monday with the help of a University of Ottawa activist who said they were meant for young people who "don't want to celebrate war."
The total cost of the poppies was about $1,000, from non-tax deductible donations collected through the year.
Veterans Affairs Minister Julian Fantino called the campaign "totally disrespectful," and the Royal Canadian Legion said veterans would be personally offended by efforts to piggyback on a time to remember their sacrifice.
"I think at this point we're looking at whether we have accomplished what we wanted to do, which was to prompt a discussion," he said. "I think we're always looking at what the next steps will be and making sure that's in keeping with what we want to do."
In the past, the Rideau Institute has distributed stickers and other items with the same "I Remember for Peace" slogan, but this campaign was the first that placed the slogan on a white poppy.

These people are sanctimonious morons.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Maybe a little, but not so much so that they couldn't pull it back a bit. Even though I think they've actually hijacked the white poppy for their own agenda.

That said, there's room at the table for two colours, two forms of remembering, two ways to express how we feel.

I mean some folks did give their lives for it and all.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004

and you're just a brainless twat that glorifies the killing. Wouldn't surprise me at all to find out that your favorite jack off movies are hamburger hill, we were soldiers, and saving private ryan.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
and you're just a brainless twat that glorifies the killing. Wouldn't surprise me at all to find out that your favorite jack off movies are hamburger hill, we were soldiers, and saving private ryan.

All three were very good films. You should watch them, and the Band of Brothers series.

You might learn something about sacrifice.

These idiots with the white poppies have every right to wear them, it is a free country, thanks to the men they are insulting.

But to try to insert themselves in a ceremony meant to honour those that fought is in incredibly poor taste, thoughtless, and santimonious.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
These idiots with the white poppies have every right to wear them, it is a free country, thanks to the men they are insulting.
Why do you think it's insulting?

But to try to insert themselves in a ceremony meant to honour those that fought is in incredibly poor taste, thoughtless, and santimonious.
I would agree, since there sole purpose was to push their agenda.

In their defense though, they did change their minds.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
All three were very good films. You should watch them, and the Band of Brothers series.

You might learn something about sacrifice.

seen em, just more examples of society glorifying the murder of millions

You ain't seen "insulting" yet.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

I agree with having a "White Poppy Day" but I don't think it should be November 11.

Why can't someone have a f**King opinion without you always hijacking it? You should remember that just by the law of averages half the opinions are better than yours!