Could Turks and Caicos be Canada’s 11th province?

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Could Turks and Caicos be like a tiny Nunavut or Canada’s 11th province?

In 1917, during a visit to the Caribbean, Prime Minister Robert Borden spotted the British Overseas Territory of Turks and Caicos Islands and thought that the tropical archipelago was just the place to install Canada’s next province. The idea was quickly rebuffed by British leadership, who were admittedly preoccupied with the First World War, but nearly one hundred years later the dream of a Canadian flag flying in the Caribbean lives on. Last Wednesday, Edmonton East MP Peter Goldring, the loudest cheerleader for Turks and Caicos annexation, met with the country’s premier, Rufus Ewing, in a reception at Toronto’s Westin Harbour Castle hotel. The Post called Mr. Goldring on Friday to catch up on the possibility of Canada adopting 600 square kilometers of island paradise as its 11th province.

Q: You’ve been pursuing the Turks and Caicos file since 2004, but what did Mr. Ewing say during your latest meeting?

A: He was definitely interested in pursuing an economic association, and he’s looking for my type of help to work with members of parliament to get some momentum going to see if we can’t maybe get him a meeting with cabinet members to look at what some of these economic interests might be. The difficulty is that they’re a territory of Great Britain, so of course you would want to do things in concert with and with sensitivities to what Great Britain’s interests are.

Q: What do you see as the ideal future relationship between Canada and Turks and Caicos? An economic union? Territorial status? Full-fledged provincial status?

A: I would look at giving it full provincial status because of the potential for the region because they would then be representing Canada’s interests for the entire area. We have precedent; PEI has a relatively modest population. While the Turks population is between 25,000 and 35,000 people, with development and commercialization of the islands, very quickly I could see a population of 100,000 people.

Q: Plans to annex the islands have fallen through at least three time; in the 1910s, the 1970s and the 1980s. What’s different now?

A: The messaging then was for the Turks and Caicos to join Canada, but I think the plan may have [fallen apart] when Parliament considered space and time and distance. But in today’s world, the Turks and Caicos are actually closer to Ottawa, in kilometers, than my riding in Edmonton. With air travel and electronic communication it’s a whole new world.

Q: It’s certainly a nice vacation spot, but what else would Canada do with a Caribbean province?

A: They say that South Caicos Island is on a deepwater channel that could be developed into a deepwater trading port for transshipment from Canada’s Maritimes. Cuba, of course, has great infrastructure needs. As they are probably soon going to be entering a post-Castro era, looking forward I think it would bode well to have Canadian interests based from the Turks. From a Canadian unity point of view [and Canadian unity is why I got into politics], Canadians holiday north and south, they don’t holiday east and west. So we don’t get a chance to meet and greet each other on a regular basis. Wouldn’t it be wonderful to have a common destination in the south? The Turks would love all the extra business they could get in tourism.

Source: Turks and Caicos could be like a tiny Nunavut or Canada’s 11th province | National Post

////////////////////////////////////////////

Canada Sunshine "Province"
:canada:

- 40 in Alberta, there will be lots of new snow birds flying to our new Province I'll bet??

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
Not gonna happen. T&C has 30,000 citizens but is home to about 50,000 corporations due their status as a tax haven. With secretive banking laws similar to Switzerland and low costs for incorporation they will remain a British territory. Their financial sector accounts for close to 30% of their GDP and it would disappear if they became a Canadian province as it would have to adhere to our federal banking and commercial laws.

The Turks and Caicos Islands (/ˈtɜrks/ and /ˈkeɪkəs/ / /ˈkeɪkoʊs/ / /ˈkeɪkɒs/ TCI); are a British Overseas Territory consisting of the larger Caicos Islands and smaller Turks Islands, two groups of tropical islands in the Lucayan Archipelago, part of the larger Antilles island grouping. They are known primarily for tourism and as an offshore financial centre.
Turks and Caicos Islands - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Not gonna happen. T&C has 30,000 citizens but is home to about 50,000 corporations due their status as a tax haven. With secretive banking laws similar to Switzerland and low costs for incorporation they will remain a British territory. Their financial sector accounts for close to 30% of their GDP and it would disappear if they became a Canadian province as it would have to adhere to our federal banking and commercial laws.

such pessimism ....

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
having a tropical province would be cool :cool: as long as there are no giant bugs. :shock:

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
We need a tourist spot of our own. the financial situation is a concern and it could make
it difficult but not impossible.

Omicron

Privy Council
Jul 28, 2010
Vancouver
Not gonna happen. T&C has 30,000 citizens but is home to about 50,000 corporations due their status as a tax haven.

Hmm... well, given how China figured out a way to incorporate HK without disrupting the economy of the rest of PRC, and considering how Canadians of good summer productivity have earned a nice place to have Christmas, the issue would be how to integrate a bunch of international tax-dogers into the Canadian economy. From the average Canadian's point of view it will be a place to use Canadian currency without going through annoying currency exchanges just to fry on a sand-beach in December, but for Harper it boils down to love of Canada, unless puppet NWO.

Finally a job for Harper.

Imagine the economic benefits of being where the money one spends on a winter vacation gets spent back? Imagine how as a by-product of the aquisition, any demons sticking around must surrender and declare. What would be the percentage out of 50,000?

What percentage of those 50,000 will give in, and why?

This is an example of where orthoganol factor analysis can tell who wants to be in Canada, and which Canada should or does not want.

Last edited:

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Hands off Turks and Caicos, Canada. They are British territory, just as Devon, Norfolk, the Outer Hebrides or Gwynedd are, and Britain will defend its territory at all costs, as Argentina found out in 1982 when 650 of their soldiers were killed and their government was toppled in defeat.

Why some Canadians are even contemplating the Turks and Caicos islands becoming Canadian territory is a mystery. Britain will NOT hand them over, just as it has told Spain a lot recently to get stuffed over Gibraltar.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Ah, hanging on to the last vestiges of empire. How British. What if the people of the Turks and Caicos islands vote to join Canada? Would Britain stand in the way of democratic process?

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
After a quick bit of research, I've found that Goldring's bid to get the Turks and Caicos islands as part of Canada was quicky shot down in flames by the leader of the Turks and Caicos Islands.

Turks and Caicos Islands premier Rufus Ewing has said the islands will not become Canadian

TCI premier Rufus Ewing, while making it clear he’s keen to promote stronger economic ties with Canada, told the Turks and Caicos Sun that pursuing Canadian provincial status — as advocated by Edmonton East MP Peter Goldring — would amount to shifting authority over the U.K.-controlled vacation islands from “one master to another.”

He also suggested, however, that allowing the concept to be kept afloat for discussion purposes wouldn’t be a bad thing for Turks and Caicos Islands since it should encourage more tourism and investment by Canadians.

“I won’t be too hasty to jump from one mother’s nest to another mother’s nest — from one master to another,” Ewing is quoted saying.

“But I don’t mind them (Canadians) talking about things,” he added. “Maybe more Canadians should come down to check us out and to see what we have to offer. Come down, take a holiday and do some investments; invest in some projects and spend some dollars. I would love it.”

Yet Ewing further downplayed any proposed merger, stating that, “I don’t think Canada is interested in forming an alliance with the Turks and Caicos.” He added: “I think there is a specific MP and some others, who have always had interest in the Turks and Caicos annexing with Canada. And I guess each time that you have a Turks and Caicos politician visiting Canada and seeking greater relationships, seeking economics and getting investors, the topic will come up.”

Larry Wong / Postmedia News fileEdmonton Member of Parliament Peter Goldring.

Goldring told Postmedia News on Friday that he wasn’t discouraged by Ewing’s comments but expressed disappointment that the notion of “annexation” was highlighted in the story on what the Turks and Caicos leader had to say about Canada.

“I don’t know where this annexing business came from,” said Goldring. “I’ve always said this is not about annexing… because that smacks of colonialism. Nobody wants to go down that road whatsoever.”

Goldring noted that he’s attempting “to talk to Mr. Ewing again and straighten out that this is not about annexing.”

British territory: Turks and Caicosurks and Caicos

He also acknowledged that Ewing is right about the positive impact on the TCI economy of ongoing media coverage about the islands’ possible union with Canada.

“The discussions we’ve had — it piques the interest of Canadians all across the country, and they go exploring,” said Goldring. “I’ve been told that there’s some $20-million worth of free advertising that it’s given the islands. But so be it. It’s also sent Canadians there for investment, sent Canadians there for tourism. And this is all part and package of developing more interest in the area, and developing warmer relationships.”

Ewing came to power in Turks and Caicos Islands in November 2012 after a controversial, three-year period of direct rule by British officials in response to alleged corruption and mismanagement of the local TCI administration.

The new premier narrowly won the election in part by slamming Britain for what he considered undemocratic actions during the direct-rule period and by proposing a push toward outright independence — not a junior partnership with Canada.

In subsequent speeches, Ewing’s continued criticism of Britain and his promotion of potential TCI independence prompted a sharp rebuke from U.K. Foreign Secretary William Hague.

British Foreign Secretary William Hague rebuked Ewing

In a March letter responding to one of Ewing’s speeches to fellow Caribbean leaders on February, Hague reminded the TCI leader that Ewing’s predecessor as premier and Progressive National Party leader — the now-exiled Michael Misick — “left behind a chaotic situation including — through incompetence, abuse of power and corruption — rapidly deteriorating public finances.”

Turks and Caicos frustrates Tory MP’s plan to woo island colony into becoming Canada’s 11th province | National Post

Ah, hanging on to the last vestiges of empire. How British. What if the people of the Turks and Caicos islands vote to join Canada? Would Britain stand in the way of democratic process?

Isn't it rather hypocritical of you to complain about Britain having the Turks and Caicos Islands, calling it the "last vestiges of empire", whilst at the same time you wish the islands to become CANADIAN?

SLIGHTLY hypocritical, methinks.

Why is it "colonialism" for Britain to have the islands but not for Canada to have them?

Last edited:

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Isn't it rather hypocritical of you to complain about Britain having the Turks and Caicos Islands, calling it the "last vestiges of empire", whilst at the same time you wish the islands to become CANADIAN?

SLIGHTLY hypocritical, methinks.

Why is it "colonialism" for Britain to have the islands but not for Canada to have them?
Who said I wanted them to be Canadian? I was just posing hypothetical questions while remarking on your empirical stance. Personally. I would like BC to be separate from the rest of Canada and certainly from Britain. I have no use for empires or war.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Who said I wanted them to be Canadian? I was just posing hypothetical questions while remarking on your empirical stance. Personally. I would like BC to be separate from the rest of Canada and certainly from Britain. I have no use for empires or war.

I don't have an empirical stance. The islands are BRITISH TERRITORY, not a foreign country that Britain rules, just as much as Norfolk, or Derbyshire, or the Scottish Highlands, or Wales, is British territory, or Nunavut or British Columbia or Alberta are Canadian territory. The ones with the empirical stance are those in Canada seeking to annex someone else's territory. How would you like it if Britain or some other power started talk about annexing Canadian territory? Maybe I should start an e-petition to get the Commons to discuss Britain annexing Newfoundland.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
I don't have an empirical stance. The islands are BRITISH TERRITORY, not a foreign country that Britain rules, just as much as Norfolk, or Derbyshire, or the Scottish Highlands, or Wales, is British territory, or Nunavut or British Columbia or Alberta are Canadian territory. The ones with the empirical stance are those in Canada seeking to annex someone else's territory. How would you like it if Britain or some other power started talk about annexing Canadian territory? Maybe I should start an e-petition to get the Commons to discuss Britain annexing Newfoundland.
You can have Newfyland. Their cod fishery is dead and nobody can understand their "quaint" language.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister

Hate to be the one to tall ya, but the rats are all leaving the doomed ship of the Empire.... Seems like with each year that passes, there is another colony that pines to place the word 'former' in front of the description.

Really though, I can't blame them. They look at nations like Australia or Canada and observe that severing the ties with Britain was the best decision they ever made culturally and economically

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON

Well, if their laws are so great, then why not adapt our laws to theirs rather than the other way around?

Think about it. Sometimes if the greater country is willing to consult on a fair deal, it makes it more likely for the smaller party to join in. Had the US dones so with regards to Canada, we'd be one country already. perhaps Canada can use this experience to woo T&C.

We need a tourist spot of our own. the financial situation is a concern and it could make
it difficult but not impossible.

Hmmm... were you not saying absolutely No way to Canada joining the USA? If T&C residents have the same attitude, then there is no way they'd join Canada, any more than Canada itself would ever have been formed with such a point of view.

Hands off Turks and Caicos, Canada. They are British territory, just as Devon, Norfolk, the Outer Hebrides or Gwynedd are, and Britain will defend its territory at all costs, as Argentina found out in 1982 when 650 of their soldiers were killed and their government was toppled in defeat.

Why some Canadians are even contemplating the Turks and Caicos islands becoming Canadian territory is a mystery. Britain will NOT hand them over, just as it has told Spain a lot recently to get stuffed over Gibraltar.

If I were T&C, I'd probably rather stick with the UK owing to its much larger market along with its membership in the EU, which also has a much larger market.

That said, it does seem strange that you are so opposed to letting the people of T&C decide for themselves.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Hate to be the one to tall ya, but the rats are all leaving the doomed ship of the Empire.... Seems like with each year that passes, there is another colony that pines to place the word 'former' in front of the description.

Really though, I can't blame them. They look at nations like Australia or Canada and observe that severing the ties with Britain was the best decision they ever made culturally and economically

What a load of claptrap.

Stop banging on about "empire" and "colonialism" when the only country that's being colonialist here is Canada. Turks and Caicos doesn't belong to Canada. It's not yours to have. It's a British territory and it's not going to become Canadian. And if you invade it you'd have your arses handed back to you on a plate, like Galtieri's mob back in '82.

Thinking that the people of Turks and Caicos are somehow desperate to sever ties with Britain to become a part of Canada just smacks of arrogance.

Canada's just being imperialist.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB

It's all yours BL, You have to take Quebec too though you can have that at no extra charge!

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
What a load of claptrap.

Stop banging on about "empire" and "colonialism" when the only country that's being colonialist here is Canada. Turks and Caicos doesn't belong to Canada. It's not yours to have. It's a British territory and it's not going to become Canadian. And if you invade it you'd have your arses handed back to you on a plate, like Galtieri's mob back in '82.

Thinking that the people of Turks and Caicos are somehow desperate to sever ties with Britain to become a part of Canada just smacks of arrogance.

What you gonna do? Call in the Canadians to help defeat us?

I'd gladly reclaim the whole of Canada for Her Britannic Majesty's Government, not just Newfoundland and Quebec.

Her majesty can kiss my Canadian a$$!!!

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
What you gonna do? Call in the Canadians to help defeat us?

I'm talking about defeating the Canadians, not fighting with them. And that will happen should Canada make any moves towards claiming British territory, whether it be the Turks and Caicos, Bermuda, the Falklands, Gibraltar or Devon.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
What a load of claptrap.

Like I said above, I'd be hard-pressed for a reason for T&C to want to separate from the UK to join Canada, unless it could somehow join Canada without severing ties to the UK, which woudl a whole separate discussion there.

However, I don't see how making an offer is imperialistic. If anything, it's a kind gesture. T&C said they're not interested, so end of story on that front.

What I still don't get is why you're so opposed to letting T&C make its own decision on it?

So what if it's British. Had they taken us up on the offer, what would you have done? Transform it into a Thatcher-era Northern Ireland?

I'm talking about defeating the Canadians, not fighting with them. And that will happen should Canada make any moves towards claiming British territory, whether it be the Turks and Caicos, Bermuda, the Falklands, Gibraltar or Devon.

So is making an offer a 'move' in your book?

If you believe Canada is planning to invade any such island, then you're truly out of touch with reality there.