Transgender people serve in US military at a rate double the general population

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Amid much talk of Bradley (ahem, sorry y'alls) ...Chelsea Manning's transitional status, this interesting factoid shared by Boing Boing pal Andrea James: a Williams Institute study says trans people serve in the US military at rates double that of the general population. Despite the math, "they nonetheless face discrimination during and after service."

The Williams Institute, at UCLA's School of Law, focuses on sexual orientation and gender identity law and public policy. The full report is here (PDF). It explains the scientific methodology, and offers this conclusion:

Report: Transgender people serve in US military at a rate double the general population - Boing Boing

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
The US military is feminized and queered. The US military should go out of existence. Uncle Sam doesn't need a military because the Canadians will protect us.
no we won't

but we'll go down with ya likely

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Apparently their not just in the US Military...........

A former soldier has swapped her Territorial Army beret for a veil and become Britain's first transgender Muslim woman.

Lucy Vallender used to be called Laurens and says she is finally 'true to herself' after a sex change three years ago.

The 28-year-old is now married to a Muslim man she met on an online dating site, but he did not know she was once a man when they wed.

She now wears a full veil outside her Swindon home to show the world she is married.

The former labourer said 'she used to love firing guns' and claims she drank regularly with the other squaddies as a TA private, but Lucy knew at 14 she wanted to become a woman.

'I tried to do macho things you know to stop how I was thinking, but it didn't work because I was trying to be someone I wasn't,' she said.

'I felt differently to others - I was attracted to men.

'But I suppressed my feelings and tried to live like most people my age.

'I'd go out clubbing with friends and drink a lot of alcohol.

'I had girlfriends too, but it would never get physical and always fizzled out after a couple of months.

'Joining the TA was my final attempt at trying to fit in to that kind of life but I couldn't handle it anymore and left after about a year.

'I felt like I was in the wrong body. To carry on living as a male was living a lie.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ier-UKs-transgender-Muslim-woman-MARRIED.htmlhttp://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ier-UKs-transgender-Muslim-woman-MARRIED.html

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
It's lucky the US recently lifted the ban on women serving on the frontline.

Otherwise there may have been a bit of confusion about what to do in some cases.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Apparently their not just in the US Military...........

A former soldier has swapped her Territorial Army beret for a veil and become Britain's first transgender Muslim woman.

Lucy Vallender used to be called Laurens and says she is finally 'true to herself' after a sex change three years ago.

The 28-year-old is now married to a Muslim man she met on an online dating site, but he did not know she was once a man when they wed.

She now wears a full veil outside her Swindon home to show the world she is married.

The former labourer said 'she used to love firing guns' and claims she drank regularly with the other squaddies as a TA private, but Lucy knew at 14 she wanted to become a woman.

'I tried to do macho things you know to stop how I was thinking, but it didn't work because I was trying to be someone I wasn't,' she said.

'I felt differently to others - I was attracted to men.

'But I suppressed my feelings and tried to live like most people my age.

'I'd go out clubbing with friends and drink a lot of alcohol.

'I had girlfriends too, but it would never get physical and always fizzled out after a couple of months.

'Joining the TA was my final attempt at trying to fit in to that kind of life but I couldn't handle it anymore and left after about a year.

'I felt like I was in the wrong body. To carry on living as a male was living a lie.'

Lucy Vallender: Former male TA soldier becomes UK's first transgender Muslim woman and is now MARRIED | Mail Online

that was very dishonest to marry the guy without his knowledge of her sex change... I see great things for their future.:roll:

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
It's lucky the US recently lifted the ban on women serving on the frontline.

Otherwise there may have been a bit of confusion about what to do in some cases.
It certainly causes massive confusion as to how one labels the barracks showers. Men, women, wen, and momen, I suppose.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Just like everybody else who serves.

Odd how many think the average soldier wants to go to War. Then again, odd how a soldier could see what was happening in Rwanda- FRY (Former republic of Yugoslavia)- and wondered why the world did SFA.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Odd how many think the average soldier wants to go to War. Then again, odd how a soldier could see what was happening in Rwanda- FRY (Former republic of Yugoslavia)- and wondered why the world did SFA.
When there isn't money involved there is little interest as news stories. Those boogiemen don't scare us. They are in somebody else's closet.