Martin Manley committed suicide yesterday

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
So he turned his suicide note into a blog? Seems kind of morbid and depressing, I'm sure it will be quite popular online.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
So he turned his suicide note into a blog? Seems kind of morbid and depressing, I'm sure it will be quite popular online.
What makes you think so? I don't see how a bunch of dateless losers living in their parents' basements would be able to connect with morbid and depressing.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa

The site appears to have been taken down. Unfortunate.

What makes you think so? I don't see how a bunch of dateless losers living in their parents' basements would be able to connect with morbid and depressing.

Why not? That sounds like a fairly morbid and depressing existence.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
but not before creating a well-though-out website detailing it:

Martin Manley Life and Death - Home
Sorry, Unable to process request at this time -- error 999.

Unfortunately we are unable to process your request at this time. This error is usually temporary. Please try again later.
If you continue to experience this error, it may be caused by one of the following:

• You may want to scan your system for spyware and viruses, as they may interfere with your ability to connect to Yahoo!. For detailed information on spyware and virus protection, please visit the Yahoo! Security Center.
  • This problem may be due to unusual network activity coming from your Internet Service Provider. We recommend that you report this problem to them.
While this error is usually temporary, if it continues and the above solutions don't resolve your problem, please let us know.
Return to Yahoo!
Please try Yahoo! Help Central if you need more assistance.
Copyright © 2006 Yahoo! Inc. All rights reserved. Privacy Policy Terms of Service

yup, I'm morbid enough and enough of a voyeur to click... but whoosh...they nabbed that puppy

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
I googled him and found articles about some sort of treasure hunt that he set off. I didnt get to that part of the website before it was taken down. If the quotes in the article are correct he was probably suffering from dementia. My grandmother has it and is more or less an empty shell today. If I was looking at winding up like that I would probably strongly consider suicide as well. I'd wait for a diagnosis though. This guy unfortunately didnt from what I can tell so far.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I googled him and found articles about some sort of treasure hunt that he set off. I didnt get to that part of the website before it was taken down. If the quotes in the article are correct he was probably suffering from dementia. My grandmother has it and is more or less an empty shell today. If I was looking at winding up like that I would probably strongly consider suicide as well. I'd wait for a diagnosis though. This guy unfortunately didnt from what I can tell so far.
yes I found it here:

Martin Manley: Man Commits Suicide, Posts Website Treasure Map To His Fortune

he was having a terrible time...went out the way he choose...bet his treasure is some philosophy

lmao...I guess tons of people invaded the park looking for gold

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
looks like he committed a mortal sin...8O

wonder if he went straight to hell like they tell ya

I'm bettin' nope

weird people.
whose weird?

the people who went gold hunting... yup

the guy who offed himself...nope

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012

A man who committed suicide claims he buried $200,000 at an area arboretum, but Overland police say it's a hoax.

Officers turned away several dozen people who had high hopes of finding buried treasure. It is illegal to dig at the arboretum, which is city property.

Riley Ewing was one of those who showed up hoping to find buried treasure. He said he looked in bushes, but didn't see any ground that looked like it had been disturbed recently.

"I'm going out with empty pockets, but it certainly was fun," Ewing said.

Martin Manley shot himself about 5 a.m. Thursday in the parking lot of the Overland Park Police Department headquarters. Before he killed himself, he indicated he buried the coins at the arboretum. He listed the GPS coordinates of 38.800542, -94.687884.

The family told the police that is a hoax, and that Manley actually gave all the coins away.

"We looked with the metal detector," said Overland Park police Sgt. Mark Wilson. "There were no hits at all. And we had even contact with his family who said he didn't leave anything. This is a hoax."

Overland Park spokesman Sean Reilly said Manley's family maintains that he gave away or sold the gold coins.

"But he did not bury it," he said. "You have a better chance of winning a prize from the Lotto than you do finding anything out here."

Talk of a treasure exploded on social media. But Manley's long writings and sports career also captured national headlines on Friday.

On his website, Manley wrote that it was his 60th birthday and he would kill himself. He offered detailed posts that covered his life and actions. He spent months planning his death.

He wrote that he bought $30,000 in gold and pre-1965 silver coins. He said gold was at $300 an ounce and silver was at $4 an ounce when he made the purchase in 1998. He said due to increased value that his stash was worth $200,000.

Manley worked as a statistician in the Kansas City Star's sports department until he left in 2012 after seven years. He said he quit, in part because the numerous layoffs took their toll.

Manley is credited with inventing the NBA's Efficiency Rating. He was one of the best sports statisticians in the country, and he wrote about sports on his own blog. He also authored several books.

Police: Dead man's claim of $200K coin buried at arboretum hoax - KCTV5