1 in 3 Young U.S. Women Uses 'Withdrawal' for Birth Control

Locutus
But new study confirms that it's not good for preventing pregnancy

TUESDAY, Aug. 6 (HealthDay News) -- Withdrawal is an old-fashioned, unreliable form of birth control, but one-third of young women still use it anyway, new research indicates.

"Our study showed that use of withdrawal for contraception is very common, but it doesn't work as well as other methods," said study author Dr. Annie Dude, a resident in the department of obstetrics and gynecology at Duke University Medical Center, in Durham, N.C.

Dude and her colleagues analyzed 2006-2008 data from a national survey of U.S. women, focusing on 2,220 participants between the ages of 15 and 24. Their aim was to see how commonplace it was for young, sexually active women to use withdrawal as a way to avoid pregnancy.

dude

1 in 3 Young U.S. Women Uses 'Withdrawal' for Birth Control - US News and World Report (external - login to view)

Tecumsehsbones
+2
This is terrible.

DaSleeper
Quote: Originally Posted by TecumsehsbonesView Post

This is terrible.

Is "Tourette" contagious ?
Or related to Pete and Repeat.......

EagleSmack
Ohhhhh... that does not work.

Tecumsehsbones
Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeperView Post

Is "Tourette" contagious ?
Or related to Pete and Repeat.......

It's "Tourette's," short for "Tourette's Syndrome."

EagleSmack

This is terrible.

Are you going soft?

Tecumsehsbones
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by EagleSmackView Post

Are you going soft?

You're not my type. Look for a date elsewhere.

mentalfloss
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by LocutusView Post

dude

1 in 3 Young U.S. Women Uses 'Withdrawal' for Birth Control - US News and World Report (external - login to view)

Tecumsehsbones

Sal
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by EagleSmackView Post

Are you going soft?

pft, not the thread for that type of terminology ya think...

DaSleeper

It's "Tourette's," short for "Tourette's Syndrome."

So that's....... what you have...
You've come a long way........ from Injun to soldier to lawyer and now spell checker........with tourette's

Tecumsehsbones
+2

So that's....... what you have...
You've come a long way........ from Injun to soldier to lawyer and now spell checker........with tourette's

"Life's tough. It's tougher if you're stupid."
--John Wayne

Sal
+2
from the article:
Quote:

She said the research shows that health care providers who care for sexually active young women need to recognize that one reason couples may use withdrawal as a method of birth control is that they haven't planned ahead, and that providers need to take the time to discuss more effective birth control methods with their patients.

or parents need to get out of their state of denial that their kids are likely to have sex and speak to their kids about birth control methods, planning ahead and making intelligent choices

L Gilbert
Quote: Originally Posted by LocutusView Post

But new study confirms that it's not good for preventing pregnancy

TUESDAY, Aug. 6 (HealthDay News) -- Withdrawal is an old-fashioned, unreliable form of birth control, but one-third of young women still use it anyway, new research indicates.

"Our study showed that use of withdrawal for contraception is very common, but it doesn't work as well as other methods," said study author Dr. Annie Dude, a resident in the department of obstetrics and gynecology at Duke University Medical Center, in Durham, N.C.

Dude and her colleagues analyzed 2006-2008 data from a national survey of U.S. women, focusing on 2,220 participants between the ages of 15 and 24. Their aim was to see how commonplace it was for young, sexually active women to use withdrawal as a way to avoid pregnancy.

dude

lol That "new" research is just backing up other research on the same topic except for the statistics part. Previous research shows that withdrawal is unreliable and has shown that for decades. On the "new" part, statistics, damn that's high. And excuse me, but women don't withdraw, men withdraw. It's a physiological phenomenon, ya know. Fortunately, wifey's never told me to get the f out. (We use a different couple of methods).

Sal
Quote: Originally Posted by L GilbertView Post

lol That "new" research is just backing up other research on the same topic except for the statistics part. Previous research shows that withdrawal is unreliable and has shown that for decades. On the "new" part, statistics, damn that's high. And excuse me, but women don't withdraw, men withdraw. It's a physiological phenomenon, ya know. Fortunately, wifey's never told me to get the f out. (We use a different couple of methods).

I know I thought that as well, once again the onus is upon the woman..."the woman uses withdrawl" who knows what the guy uses apparently they don't study them

gerryh
+3
doesn't matter, as abortion is an acceptable form of birth control in todays society.

L Gilbert
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by SalView Post

from the article:

or parents need to get out of their state of denial that their kids are likely to have sex and speak to their kids about birth control methods, planning ahead and making intelligent choices

Yep. Edimication is kinda handy.

Quote: Originally Posted by gerryhView Post

doesn't matter, as abortion is an acceptable form of birth control in todays society.

hhmm Thought I heard a whine somewhere.

DaSleeper
+1

--John Wayne

Yup! stupid... like posting the same thing in multiple thread...bazinga!

gerryh
Quote: Originally Posted by L GilbertView Post

hhmm Thought I heard a whine somewhere.

just stating a fact.

petros

They're gonna get you.

Tecumsehsbones

I genuinely respect you for the work you did as an EMT. Seriously.

I thought it was worth telling you that.

petros
He doesn't remember. Senility is terrible.

Omicron
+1

This is terrible.

Maybe it's because the percentage of Americans who are Latino has increased, and how most Latinos are Catholic.

In any case, women don't "use" withdrawl. Guys "use" withdrawl.

When a woman does it, it's called "pushing off".

L Gilbert
+1
My uncle talked withdrawl. Lack of schooling in enunciation, I suspect.

Tecumsehsbones
Quote: Originally Posted by OmicronView Post

Maybe it's because the percentage of Americans who are Latino has increased, and how most Latinos are Catholic.

In any case, women don't "use" withdrawl. Guys "use" withdrawl.

When a woman does it, it's called "pushing off".

Or sometimes "sticking the dismount."

Nuggler

--John Wayne

John Wayne would have known.

Tecumsehsbones
Quote: Originally Posted by NugglerView Post

John Wayne would have known.

He certainly would. Considering he didn't have the internet, the Duke met an awful lot of stupid folk in his life.

Nuggler
+1

I know I thought that as well, once again the onus is upon the woman..."the woman uses withdrawl" who knows what the guy uses apparently they don't study them

Commonly used before the guy has a job and can afford condoms.......................but can afford kids !!!??

Sal
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by NugglerView Post

Commonly used before the guy has a job and can afford condoms.......................but can afford kids !!!??

yes, young AND stupid...who knew they went together...

Omicron

yes, young AND stupid...who knew they went together...

But but but... How come when I was young I had a clear picture on what was good and bad and right and wrong, and it keeps getting fuzzier the older I get?