Pig Abuse Exposed at Pork Supplier to Major Canadian Grocery Stores

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com

Video: Pig Abuse Exposed at Pork Supplier to Major Canadian Grocery Stores - YouTube

Like millions of pigs who are raised and killed for pork in Canada, 46257 spent most of her life confined to a filthy, metal gestation crate barely larger than her own body. In such a small cage, she was unable to walk, run, play, root in the soil, see the sun, breathe fresh air, or do nearly anything that would make her life even remotely worth living.

After meeting 46257 and seeing her vibrant personality shining through, despite the years of torment she endured locked in a tiny cage, I am compelled to tell her story.

I am an investigator with Mercy For Animals Canada, and for nearly 10 weeks I worked undercover at Puratone, a factory farm that supplies pork to Sobeys, Superstore/Loblaws, Metro, and Walmart Canada. The misery and abuse that I witnessed at this factory farm will haunt me for the rest of my life.

After years locked in a tiny torture chamber, 46257 became so sick and weak that she could no longer stand. She developed heavy bruising and sores on her face from being forced to lie pressed against the bars of her cage.

I brought her deteriorating condition to my supervisor's attention repeatedly - only on the fifth day did he finally act. He cursed at her, kicked her and lifted her by her tail stump to make her climb a steep ramp. There, he forced 46257 to step over another sow he'd just killed and fired a metal rod into her skull. I could only watch as she lay kicking and blinking, conscious and suffering, for minutes before she finally died. Her death, like her life, was neither swift nor painless.

While all of the abuses I witnessed at this pig factory farm were incredibly cruel, confining pregnant pigs for life in cages so small they can barely move is probably the worst. In fact, animal welfare experts and veterinarians around the world consider gestation crates to be so cruel that they have been banned in the entire European Union, Australia, New Zealand and in nine U.S. states.

Even major retailers like Costco, Safeway, McDonald’s, Tim Hortons, and over 40 others in Canada and the United States have taken a stand against gestation crates and are demanding pork suppliers do away with them. But other grocery chains, including Sobeys, Superstore/Loblaws, Metro and Walmart Canada, continue to support this blatant cruelty to animals by purchasing pork from factory farms that cram pregnant pigs in these cruel cages.

These companies have the power and ethical responsibility to reject this abusive factory farming practice by immediately adopting policies that require suppliers to phase out their use of gestation crates.

Source: http://www.change.org/en-CA/petitions/tell-canada-s-top-grocery-chains-to-stop-torturing-pigs

Guess Canadian's should be proud of these retailers.. Sobeys, Superstore, Metro & Wallmart

///////////////////////////

That prick in the video who just chopped the nuts off the piglet.. fukking lucky I don't know that guy.. I would take his nuts off with a dull knife..

He likes hurting animals.. give the pr!ck a tast of their own medicine.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
And where are all those inspectors and where is the Federal Government?
I don't doubt this is true and it should be addressed so Canadians know it
is going on

hunboldt

Time Out
May 5, 2013
at my keyboard

As a teen,I didn't like to castrate weanlings, but its a necessity.
However, our Hogs were raised outdoors, had a fenced in willow swamp to wallow in, and had nice firm pork after happy lives. We kept even slow growth pigs.

Unfortunately, you didn't get a cent more in the 1970's from the packing houses, for firm muscle ethically raised hogs.