Britain debates controversial genetic procedure

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Britain debates controversial genetic procedure

Britain debates genetic procedure which could pave way for children with 3 biological parents - YouTube

How can a couple avoid passing on genetic diseases to their child? Well, it’s now possible to create a baby from three different people and Britain could become the first country in the world to approve the controversial technique.

Women with faulty mitochondria, that’s the energy source in a cell, can pass defects on to their child that often results in diseases such as muscular dystrophy and mental retardation.

Doug Turnbull, University of Newcastle:

"There isn't any treatment, any cure for patients with mitochondrial disease. What we are trying to do is trying to prevent the transmission from mother to child."

Scientists are now able to prevent that transmission by taking only the healthy genetic material from a mother’s egg and transfer it into a healthy donor egg that has its own DNA removed.

Nicola Parker, mitochondrial disease patient:

"No parent wants to see their child suffer and struggle with a condition that inhibits their life. You want the best for your child and if they can stop these genetics, like hereditary genetic conditions being passed on, that's all well and good, that's just an excellent thing."

But some groups oppose artificial reproduction techniques and believe the destruction of eggs or embryos to be immoral.

Dr David King, Human Genetics Alert:

"As a scientist I'm not that impressed with it, but what really concerns me is that once we allow this and we cross this crucial ethical line, which has been put down a line in the sand by governments and ethicists around the world for the last 20 years that we simply shouldn't genetically alter human beings, once we cross that line we will inevitably, step by step, slowly slowly, get to that future that everybody wants to avoid, of genetically modified designer babies and a market in children."

Sally Davies, Britain's chief medical officer:

"The issue is we're not trying to change how people are, we're not touching the nuclearDNAwhich comes from both parents, that makes us look as we are, act as we are, be as we are, it's about the power supply, the energy for the cell and only that."

If British lawmakers agree later this year, the UK would become the first country in the world where the technique could be used to create babies. Experts say the procedures would likely only be used in about a dozen women every year.

source: Video - Britain debates controversial genetic procedure - News - jn1.tv

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
So, the main controversy of this is around the destruction of embryos?

Well, considering that there are plenty of other procedures being performed which destroy embryos, I see no reason to single these women out and deny them healthy babies.

That being said, I really wish that we'd rely less on perpetuating the genes of infertile or sick people, and encourage adoption more.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
So, the main controversy of this is around the destruction of embryos?

Well, considering that there are plenty of other procedures being performed which destroy embryos, I see no reason to single these women out and deny them healthy babies.

That being said, I really wish that we'd rely less on perpetuating the genes of infertile or sick people, and encourage adoption more.
It rids the threat of congenital disease. Needless to say, ethics, regulations and such would have to be in place. Some people I think fear the Designer baby. Much like we have done with agriculture to dogs and cats.
Even then, those with funds will be able to achieve a designer baby.
When you consider the diseases that will be rendered non existent over time, I am for it.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
It rids the threat of congenital disease. .

Does it? Or does it merely rid the threat for that child? Will the genetics be 'repaired' for their own ova? Is a mitochondrial DNA glitch passed on strictly by the mitochondria?

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Does it? Or does it merely rid the threat for that child? Will the genetics be 'repaired' for their own ova? Is a mitochondrial DNA glitch passed on strictly by the mitochondria?

I hope so.
http://www.livescience.com/37836-uk-government-backs-3-parent-ivf.html

Advocates of the technique say it could eliminate some cases of life-threatening diseases caused by defective DNA. But critics think it's a slippery slope toward genetic modification resulting in the creation of "designer" babies.

One in 6,500 babies have defective mitochondria (the energy-production centers inside cells), which can cause muscle weakness, blindness, heart problems and even death. Because mitochondria have their own DNA separate from the cell's genome, researchers can take the mother's and father's DNA and put them in a cell with a third person's genetic material: healthy mitochondrial DNA from a donor.