B.C. carbon tax cut fuel use, didn't hurt economy

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
B.C. carbon tax cut fuel use, didn't hurt economy

When B.C. Premier Christy Clark sits down with her fellow provincial and territorial leaders Wednesday, she might trumpet her government's carbon tax success at what many critics said was impossible: reducing fossil fuel consumption without damaging the economy, the author of a new study suggests.

"You often hear people say you can't have an healthy environment and a strong economy," said Stewart Elgie, a University of Ottawa professor of law and economics. "B.C.'s experience shows that's not true."

Elgie is chair of Sustainable Prosperity, a national network of economics and environment professors funded by the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council.

Sustainable Prosperity has released a report that shows since the carbon tax shift was introduced in 2008, B.C.'s consumption of fossil fuels has been reduced nearly 19 per cent per capita compared to the rest of Canada, while the province's gross domestic product has kept pace with the country's.

The report is the basis of an article to be published in the next edition of the journal Canadian Public Policy. Elgie said the group wanted to get the results out now so it can inform the environmental strategy discussions at the premiers' summit starting Wednesday in Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ont.

The key to the B.C. carbon tax shift's success, Elgie said, is that it while taxes went up on fossil fuel use, income taxes were reduced, so it discourages pollution while encouraging employment and investment.

Elgie said economists would predict the policy to work as it has.

"B.C. just had the guts to try it. And it's working."

Elgie admits that with only four years of data, he can't say for certain the changes in fossil fuel use in B.C. are entirely attributable to the carbon tax, but he's confident most of them are.

The rest of Canada's premiers should consider following B.C.'s lead, Elgie argues. Alberta and Quebec also have carbon taxes.

Even provinces where the impact of taxing carbon would be felt more keenly — such as Ontario, which still relies in part on coal for electricity generation — the benefits of offsetting that with income tax reductions would be a greater relief.

B.C. carbon tax cut fuel use, didn't hurt economy - Canada - CBC News

/////////////////////////

This is an unfair tax, because businesses in Canada that are subject to the BC Carbon Tax are going out of business, because the businesses in the USA that are not subject to the tax can supply the product cheaper..

Zipperfish

House Member
Apr 12, 2013
Vancouver
I was against this tax, but I guess it wasn't as bad as I thought.
Elgie admits that with only four years of data, he can't say for certain the
changes in fossil fuel use in B.C. are entirely attributable to the carbon tax,
but he's confident most of them are.

Newsflash buddy--saying that you are "confident" about something doesn't mean anything. Evidence, not confidence. Sheesh!

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
After paying as high as 1.43 a litre around the July 1rst weekend, our local gas prices have dropped. I filled up today and the price was 1.38.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
I was against the tax and I still am because there is no need for it except the
Government is using the environmental mantra so everyone will be afraid of
the weather for heaven's sake.

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
It looks like it doesn't matter what form of "fuel" we use, it's still going to create emissions. We've still a ways to go yet....

As for the carbon tax, I'd like to know where the funds are going - not sure that the extra funds received by any government is going to be spent wisely.

JMO

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I was against the tax and I still am because there is no need for it except the
Government is using the environmental mantra so everyone will be afraid of
the weather for heaven's sake.

I was all for it when I heard it was revenue neutral, because it meant that people like me who do very little "necessary" driving would benefit by the annual cheques we would supposedly be getting. However, apart from one initial cheque, that hasn't materialized.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
Of course it has hurt the economy. A reliable measure the vibrancy of any economy is its consumption of energy, and development of uses for it at ever higher frequencies. And all for a completely fraudulent and gratuitous 'problem' of AGW. Christy is just a dumb little imcompetent twit.

Last edited:

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Here is system that'll work. Those who us less than the average individual pay less for fuel, those who use more pay more. It's neutral.

The general public is too stupid to handle hydrogen.