Oxford Debate: Islam is a Religion of Peace

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
G.K. Chesterton, who was a very insightful commentator of culture, religion and society in the early 20th Century (as well as writing the Fr. Brown Mysteries) .. wrote this on the true character of Islam.. which in truth has NEVER been about Peace.. but always about conquest and 'submission'.

"There is in Islam a paradox which is perhaps a permanent menace. The great
creed born in the desert creates a kind of ecstasy out of the very emptiness of
its own land, and even, one may say, out of the emptiness of its own theology.
It affirms, with no little sublimity, something that is not merely the
singleness but rather the solitude of God. There is the same extreme
simplification in the solitary figure of the Prophet; and yet this isolation
perpetually reacts into its own opposite. A void is made in the heart of Islam
which has to be filled up again and again by a mere repetition of the revolution
that founded it. There are no sacraments; the only thing that can happen is a
sort of apocalypse, as unique as the end of the world; so the apocalypse can
only be repeated and the world end again and again.

There are no priests; and yet this equality can only breed a multitude of lawless prophets almost as
numerous as priests. The very dogma that there is only one Mahomet produces an
endless procession of Mahomets. Of these the mightiest in modern times were the
man whose name was Ahmed, and whose more famous title was the Mahdi; and his
more ferocious successor Abdullahi, who was generally known as the Khalifa.
These great fanatics, or great creators of fanaticism, succeeded in making a
militarism almost as famous and formidable as that of the Turkish Empire on
whose frontiers it hovered, and in spreading a reign of terror such as can
seldom be organised except by civilisation…"

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
"and in spreading a reign of terror such as can
seldom be organized except by civilization…"

So the civilized west should gain nothing of comfort by any claim of superiority. The west is what it tolerates and it tolerates every and any imaginable evil.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
G.K. Chesterton, who was a very insightful commentator of culture, religion and society in the early 20th Century (as well as writing the Fr. Brown Mysteries) .. wrote this on the true character of Islam.. which in truth has NEVER been about Peace.. but always about conquest and 'submission'.

He lived long enough to know of Hitler and WWI. Refresh my memory, what did he say about those who worship the Prince of Peace and their warmongering.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
Besides Nazi Germany, Austria, and Hungary, the pointers have forgotten Ireland, the modern wars in the Balkans, the KKK, the genocide on Rwanda, ...

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Mehdi Hasan - a political journalist, biographer of Marxist Labour Party leader Edward Miliband and political editor of The Huffington Post UK - usually talks a load of rubbish. He's often appearing on the late night preview of the next day's newspapers on Sky News, or on the BBC's Question Time.

These are good debates, though. Free speech in action. I like the way they've turned the room into a House of Commons, those making speeches doing so over the despatch boxes as they do in the British parliament and, like in the British parliament but unlike other parliaments - where the politicians sit in concentric circles all facing the same way - with two groups of seated "politicians" facing each other across the despatch boxes in a confrontational way (in the House of Commons it's the governing party on one side and the Opposition on the other and in this debate it's the pro-Muslims on one side and the anti-Muslims on the other side of the despatch boxes).

Get a load of Matthew Handley.

He brings whole new depth to the label "upper class twit".

Considering that he speaks with a Scouse accent, I'd say that he's not upper class. You don't get upper class Scousers.

Last edited:

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
Oh yes, I forgot about the British aristocracy. They were sympathetic to Hitler and the Nazi cause, and, of course, Church of England.

Dutch Reformed Church and apartheid, The Southern Baptist Convention and segregation, Mount Cashel Orphanage, et alia. Peace lovers all.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
He lived long enough to know of Hitler and WWI. Refresh my memory, what did he say about those who worship the Prince of Peace and their warmongering.

First of all, and for the nth time, Hitler and Naziism were PAGAN , not Christian.

He played Christian to the people, but he was anything but.

Read Metasas' book on Bonhoeffer.

Oh yes, I forgot about the British aristocracy. They were sympathetic to Hitler and the Nazi cause, and, of course, Church of England.

Dutch Reformed Church and apartheid, The Southern Baptist Convention and segregation, Mount Cashel Orphanage, et alia. Peace lovers all.

And.....show me in the New Testament where child abuse is allowed (it is in Islam, as Mohammed did it)

Show me in the New Testament where the races are to be kept separate.

The point is that violent, lunatic Islamists are following the Koran and hadith.

So called "Christian" psychos are behaving in ways that fly in the face of Christian teaching.

He was a professed Catholic. If you look at that finger you are pointing you will see the three pointing back at you.

He professed in public, as he ruled a Catholic nation.

According to Himmler, he was determined to destroy Christianity.

According to himself, he preferred Islam.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
First of all, and for the nth time, Hitler and Naziism were PAGAN , not Christian.

And.....show me in the New Testament where child abuse is allowed (it is in Islam, as Mohammed did it)

The point is that violent, lunatic Islamists are following the Koran and hadith.

So called "Christian" psychos are behaving in ways that fly in the face of Christian teaching.

Your Vrill is showing!

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia

Refresh our memories, what does the revered Talmud say about child abuse?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Ohhh the Talmud. The book that calls Christians pigs and that Jesus's mother was a wh*re who f*cked Roman Soldiers.

How long would Judaism survive if the Talmud was read by Evangelicals to their congregations?

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
He was a professed Catholic. If you look at that finger you are pointing you will see the three pointing back at you.

While true I doubt he actually believed it. Yes, I know he said he did, but he kind of had to. The base of his support was Bavaria which had a large Catholic majority. Had he not paid lip service to them its quite possible he never would have become a major player in German politics - or maintained power for long. There is no way he would have been able get the largest party in the Reichstag or get the chancellorship had he said "Im not Catholic. Cant stand them actually."