Are forums dying out because of social networking?

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com

Every year it seems like less and less forums are active communities any more. Why do you guys think forums are dying? Or are they?

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving

Every year it seems like less and less forums are active communities any more. Why do you guys think forums are dying? Or are they?
Perhaps because people can insult with impunity.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
No, most have mods to control that..

But Interesting point.. who says you can't insult someone on Facebook? Twitter? Etc?

It's the Internet, a facade hiding who or what people really are..

I disagree. In a conversation, face to face much of what is said here, if it was a discussion at a house party, BBQ or bar would lead to lost friendships and fist fights.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
It seems to be. I was on quite a few forums ten years ago. Most of them are now completely dead or just get a few posts now and then. Most people seem to prefer either FB or comment sections of news sites. Personally I prefer actual forums like his stie. Im not too crazy about my friends and family knowing about everything I post online.

Last edited:

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
The death of the forum is separation through assumed identity,

Correct. In 10 years Forums will have persons ID as to who they are. It is coming with new laws. Wait for it.
The days of hiding behind a handle are almost over.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
The death of the forum is separation through assumed identity,

That and confirmation bias. Many dont like having their views challenged and go to sites where they will rarely be challenged and are instead backed up by many people who agree with them. On FB its very easy to predict what commenters will say in the comment sections of the various news pages. The CBC, Huffington Post, National Post and The Globe and Mail can all have articles on the same news story and it'll be amazingly simple to predict what the audience of each page will say in the comment section. The one thing the comments have in common is that they all throw insults at the odd person in the comment sections who disagrees with the majority on each page.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Actually, that would be cool, if it came to fruition.

There are pros and cons to it. As we are well aware some wackos inhabit forums. With technology it is easy to make yourself appear from Germany when you are really from BumFuxk wherever.

Sparrow

Council Member
Nov 12, 2006
Quebec
Personally I prefer Forums. I joined FB but soon found out that I did not like it because there was no substance. I like this form when we can discuss or argue subjects. I found FB boring.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
I think it's much harder to establish a new forum these days.

Forums have become less social. In the past some people would use forums for their general chit chat but now use facebook and twitter to chat amongst friends. Plus it's easy for people to just "like" a subject and be logged in to post, rather than having to sign up everywhere on the internet for forums.

I also think forum software developers have missed the boat on creativity.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
I also think forum software developers have missed the boat on creativity.

The same thing happened to BBS software when the Internet started up/ The developers missed the boat. I've taken a look at some of the BBS software that is still available, and for the most part it is no different now than it was when I ran my board over 15 - 20 years ago.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007

Forums are dying out yes, for a variety of reasons.

• When discussion and the exchange of ideas cease and it just becomes name calling or character assassination in thread after thread, it quickly kills the desire to put one's opinion out there

• When a forum has a group of bullies that dog pile new arrivals (which I have seen occur throughout the years on various forums) it becomes inbred and that is sure death
  • with that said, there must also be a certain amount of tension to keep things interesting or that will kill it too I don't come in here to sing kumbaya either
it's a delicate balance

Facebook is not a medium that encourages debate because we know what other people look like and what they struggle with and where they live. It is difficult to tell someone you think they are an idiot when you see more than a two dimensional view of that person. One must restrain themselves like in real life. Perhaps that is not a bad thing but I don't grow much from what people post on their walls and I frequently roll my eyes.

In this forum I believe many of us do know each other in various ways. At least from exchanges I have witnessed some seem to know each other. I know and have met some myself, and others are on my facebook. Others I have been in various forums with over the years and I don't know personally but could likely predict what they will say when debate happens.

Like I said, it's a delicate balance.

Vancouverite

Electoral Member
Dec 23, 2011
But FB is facing competition, as the twenty-somethings and teenagers move to other medium. I think forums are dying because there are so many of them, because, as the number approaches infinity, the number of members per forum approaches zero.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
There used to be "free Microsoft chat rooms". forums, really.

The one I belonged to had members all the way from Fla. to the NWT.

Some discussions got "spirited".

What killed them was they became pay forums............

Sorry to see them go.

Facebook is but a poor reflection in an overused pond.