Squirrel rescued from Winnipeg woman's toilet with BBQ tongs

What would you do if you found a squirrel in your toilet?

• Get out the BBQ tongs...

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Rescue it and enjoy my new pet

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Free it

Votes: 7 70.0%
  • Flush!

Votes: 2 20.0%

• Total voters

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Squirrel rescued from Winnipeg woman's toilet with BBQ tongs

A Winnipeg woman had to act fast after finding a furry home invader taking a bath in her toilet earlier this week.

Angela Campbell said she found a small squirrel floundering in her toilet early Wednesday morning after hearing a strange noise coming from the bathroom of her St. James-area home.

Campbell she was first woken up by her two dogs around 5 a.m. but couldn’t figure out what was bothering the pair until hours later when she heard “big splashing in the toilet.”

Campbell didn't know what she would find when she opened the lid of her toilet, so she carefully knocked on the sides of the bowl before lifting the lid.

When she finally summoned the courage, she flipped the lid to find a small, drenched squirrel grasping the sides of her toilet bowl.

So Campbell did what any sensible Winnipegger would do — grabbed a pair of BBQ tongs from the kitchen and put the water-logged creature in her bathtub.

“It was just filthy. I didn’t know how it could breathe because it stunk so bad,” said Campbell.

So she gave it a quick bath before she tried to release it.

"It wasn't fighting. It just seemed to be relieved at first and then once it got in to the tub, it just was kind of in a daze," said Campbell. "I took a little water scoop — pouring water over it to rinse it off."

After a quick rinse-off, Campbell scooped the squirrel up with the tongs again and placed him on her patio.

Once she got the squirrel outside it started to make noise and scurried right back up the exterior of Campbell’s house.

She said it eventually found its way to a fence post with some tree coverage and sunlight to dry off.

Campbell said she had no idea how the squirrel got in her toilet but said the city’s water and waste department was cleaning water mains on her street at the time.

Squirrel gets social media treatment

Just a day after being discovered soaking wet and stinky in Campbell's toilet, the squirrel was already getting national exposure on social media sites.

A Twitter account for the tree-dweller was created and had a handful of followers Thursday afternoon. The account, @toiletsquirrel, professed the squirrel's love of "plumbing, swimming and exploration."

The first tweet from Wpg Toilet Squirrel? "Ever have one of those nights where you wake up soaking wet in a toilet and wonder what you did to lead you to that? #toiletsquirrelprobs"

The first instalment of a meme also popped up on a local graphic design website, Colourblind Graphic Design.

It's not clear whether or not the actual toilet squirrel endorsed the account or meme.

source: Squirrel rescued from Winnipeg woman's toilet with BBQ tongs - Manitoba - CBC News

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Dr Gilbert, notorious flinger of tiny furry aminals with big eyes.

I am shocked and horrified at the thought of children reading this thread. Something must be done sometime. Maybe a FarceBook page to raise money for abused rodents.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
You don't want to handle a wild animal to much anyhow, they could die of shock.
the wild animal would? no bro I WOULD have died of shock, I am glad that poor little thing didn't land in my toilet for it's sake.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Is it petty of me that on of the first things I noticed, and was utterly disgusted by, is that she stores her shower cap on her toilet brush? lol.

As for the state of the toilet, the thing came up from the sewers, so I'd imagine it drug a lot of that muck with it. I'll give her the benefit of the doubt anyway.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
oh 8O that pink thingie is a shower cap... I kept looking at it and pondering what it could be

what is all the stuff on the other side?

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
oh 8O that pink thingie is a shower cap... I kept looking at it and pondering what it could be

what is all the stuff on the other side?

A mirror and a magazine rack. Mustn't be any men in the house if you can put the magazine rack that close to the toilet ;)