It's NOT Meat for dinner, it's Shmeat

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Finally, we will likely have the chance to eat test-tube meat. Soon!

Wait, what? That grosses you out? Hah, really? C’mon! It’s only shmeat: lab-grown in vitro meat, and it’s not fake meat. It’s meatsie meat. Food Safety News describes:
In vitro or cultured meat is not imitation meat — like all those vegetable-protein products that don’t taste anything like beef or chicken. In vitro or lab-grown meat is animal flesh, except it never was part of a living animal.
Seriously, how does lab-grown meat not sound amazing? This is your finest Kobe steak marinated in Future and seasoned with a little bit of starlight. If you’re still not sold on it, check out this delightful little video to whet your appetite:

Meat The Future - YouTube

The thing is, meat grown in a lab already exists. It is here. Scientists, like anybody who ever creates anything that will change civilization forever, are merely deliberating on how to make the test tube meat “commercially feasible,” i.e., profitable. Food Safety News reports that there are approximately 30 labs around the world who have been at work developing in vitro meat. As labs have begun “attracting investments and research talent from around the world,” the possibility of shmeat on our shelves soon becomes all the more likely.

People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) likes the shmeaty future because they hope it will spare animals pain and suffering. That’s all well and good, but this could radically improve the quality of life for vertebrates more dear to our hearts: humans. Readily grown meat in untold quantities could change the concept of hunger in the future. Animals live, people live – everybody has cake. As you may predict, humans of today had mixed reactions about this delicacy of tomorrow.

In vitro meat - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

source: Shmeat: The first in vitro hamburger | The Current with Anna Maria Tremonti | CBC Radio

///////////////

Oh I can't wait, meat grown in a petri dish. YUCK!!

NoShmeat :: Home

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Most people don't even know where meat comes from. They probably wouldn't know the difference anyway. Why not put our crops to better use; feeding people instead of animals for slaughter. I'm all for it, but then, I probably won't be still around to taste it either.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
You can't eat nothing but grain Cliffy.
We would then be growing other crops besides grain. How many hecters does it take to grow a billion cows every year? A lot of that land could be growing fruit and vegetables. Hell, with the amount of water flowing through your farm, you could use some land to grow fish.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Well if anyone serves me shmeat, I'm going to see if it sticks to the wall.
Wouldn't that be shtick to the wall?

We would then be growing other crops besides grain. How many hecters does it take to grow a billion cows every year? A lot of that land could be growing fruit and vegetables. Hell, with the amount of water flowing through your farm, you could use some land to grow fish.
A billion cows? We only have 10 million in Canada which is down from 17 million. Fruit and veg require oodles of water and long enough seasons.

I've already looked into fish. They need grain to be fed to grow into big fish.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com

hydroponic greenhouses, that's the future.

http://brightfarms.com/

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
I've already looked into fish. They need grain to be fed to grow into big fish.
They need meat (waste) and bugs. A friend has a trout farm in the Slocan Valley. Wildlife officers used to bring all the road kill to his place and he would grind it up for his fish. Some genius in government decided it was illegal to do that and now all road kill either goes to land fill or is left in the ditch for scavengers. Too bad, but he now strings a line of Xmas lights over his ponds and you can go there at night and watch the trout jumping for bugs. You can easily build bug traps to also feed fish. I hear mosquitoes are plentiful on the prairies.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
They need meat (waste) and bugs. A friend has a trout farm in the Slocan Valley. Wildlife officers used to bring all the road kill to his place and he would grind it up for his fish. Some genius in government decided it was illegal to do that and now all road kill either goes to land fill or is left in the ditch for scavengers. Too bad, but he now strings a line of Xmas lights over his ponds and you can go there at night and watch the trout jumping for bugs. You can easily build bug traps to also feed fish. I hear mosquitoes are plentiful on the prairies.
The geniuses don't want consumers to end up with diseases carried by wild meat.

Would you want Anisakiasis, Anthrax,Chronic Wasting Disease, Diphyllobothriasis, Giant Liver Fluke, Hydatid Disease, Leptospirosis,Moose Measles, Orf,, Papillomas (warts),Plague, Rabies, Ringworm, Sarcocystis, Sarcoptic Mange, Trichinellosis, Tuberculosis, or Tularemia in your fish?

hydroponic greenhouses, that's the future.

http://brightfarms.com/
http://brightfarms.com/[/QUOTE Is it? After a couple thousand years of doing it, why hasn't it become the mainstay of production yet?
Too expensive? impractical? Too hard to control disease and pests? Requires far too much energy?

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Is it? After a couple thousand years of doing it, why hasn't it become the mainstay of production yet?
Too expensive? impractical? Too hard to control disease and pests? Requires far too much energy?

O.K. now your totally full of sh*t.. no disease or pests, your inside.. and it's not to expensive.. if you had bothered to read the link, seems that company is doing very well.. shoots your BS full of holes.

Hydroponic Farmer Produces Year-Round Harvest - YouTube

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
No disease? No pests? Where do you come up with this sh*t?

But I guess you've never heard of powdery mildew, mold, mites, thripes, fungus gnats, algae, wilts, damping off, fusarium and along long list of other problems greenhouss and hydro growers face.

You video didn't mention those did they? Why not?

Last edited: