Tiger has surgery to remove 1.8kg furball

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
IT'S not unusual for a cat to get a hairball, but a 180-kilogram tiger has needed help from veterinary surgeons when he couldn't hack up a soccer ball-sized furball by himself.

The 17-year-old tiger named Ty underwent the procedure on Wednesday at a veterinary center in the Tampa Bay area of Florida.

Doctors said in a statement that they safely removed the 1.8-kilogram obstruction from Ty's stomach.

The tiger, which is cared for by Wildlife Rescue and Rehabilitation in Florida, was brought to veterinarians after not eating for nearly two weeks.

Doctors said they detected the hairball using a scope with a camera.

Ty is said to be doing fine after the operation.

Read more: Tiger has surgery to remove 1.8kg furball | News.com.au

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
WTF? 2 weeks of not eating before calling a vet? Tigers eat from 16 to 30 kg of meat a day depending upon the subspecies. Gives me a pretty good clue as to which is the dumb animal here - hominin or felidae.
that is exactly what I thought...two weeks ?? you stupid freaking mental midgets...

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
that is exactly what I thought...two weeks ?? you stupid freaking mental midgets...

Problem is many of these orgs are closing down due to no funds.
Yes 2 weeks is to long. But when you have limited funds...............

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Problem is many of these orgs are closing down due to no funds.
While I hear what you are saying, it just makes me angry that this beast suffered for two weeks when a public appeal would have done the trick.. you have to make a little effort not wait for people to wander past your website. I do appreciate what they do but two weeks come ON, my vet would have done the work and billed me...no animal should be left to suffer for that long.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
While I hear what you are saying, it just makes me angry that this beast suffered for two weeks when a public appeal would have done the trick.. you have to make a little effort not wait for people to wander past your website. I do appreciate what they do but two weeks come ON, my vet would have done the work and billed me...no animal should be left to suffer for that long.

Even money on they have had a number of public appeals for funds over the past number of years- fundraising events- and such.
These org do great work. But their is an old saying- only got so much money to give.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Even money on they have had a number of public appeals for funds over the past number of years- fundraising events- and such.
These org do great work. But their is an old saying- only got so much money to give.
yes, and people are strapped for sure