Tiananmen Square - massacre anniversary .

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
Edition 2304/11

China censors Tiananmen Square massacre related words on Internet ahead of anniversary
Wednesday 5th June, 2013
China has censored words such as 'today' as an Internet search item 24 years after the Chinese government's bloody crackdown on pro-democracy protesters in Tiananmen Square.
The words that have been censored on Sina Weibo, the country's most popular microblog, include 'tomorrow'," 'that year', 'special day' ahead of the anniversary of the massacre.
According to the Guardian, they have also censored many number combinations that could refer to 4 June 1989, such as 6-4, 64, 631, 65-1, and 35 (shorthand for May 35th), the Guardian reports.
Chinese Communist party authorities, fearing a threat to their legitimacy, forbid open discussion of the so-called June 4th incident in the country's media and on its Internet.
Yet Internet users have reacted by using ever-more oblique references to commemorate the tragedy, with many posting pictures, which can often elude automatic detection: a girl with her hand over her mouth; a Lego man facing down three green Lego tanks; the iconic "tank man" picture with its tanks photo shopped into four giant rubber ducks, a reference to a well-known art installation in Hong Kong's Victoria harbor, the report said.
Many prominent intellectuals and celebrities on Sina Weibo have simply taken the day off from posting in an act of quiet protest, it added.
Page 1 of 2 | Next

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
In most places they would have kept rolling. Like Hungary in the 50s and Czechoslovakia in the 60s. Generally when they dont keep rolling the government falls. Somehow the Chinese government managed to get around that.

Complete lockdown- thousand, tens of thousands whisked away - many executed.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
There is something about that iconic photo of the lone man facing a Chinese tank in Tienanmen Square that still captures my attention today. So many questions arise in my mind regarding courage, patriotism, unwavering dedication to one's goals and the utter futility of the gesture.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
There is something about that iconic photo of the lone man facing a Chinese tank in Tienanmen Square that still captures my attention today. So many questions arise in my mind regarding courage, patriotism, unwavering dedication to one's goals and the utter futility of the gesture.
And he is dead.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Is that known for sure? From what ive read his identity was never known.

True- I can provide links that reports he is alive, no positive ID- If you choose to believe them. Now we have a situation like this. 1 man- odds are he was identified. Odds are he is dead. This is China. Surveillance would be complete. They (the Politburo)would want him. And dead.
What odds would you give that he is alive?

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
True- I can provide links that reports he is alive, no positive ID- If you choose to believe them. Now we have a situation like this. 1 man- odds are he was identified. Odds are he is dead. This is China. Surveillance would be complete. They (the Politburo)would want him. And dead.
What odds would you give that he is alive?

Slim. Its been 2 decades. Regardless of whether or not he is dead the damage to the government has been done by the gesture and photographs. Not enough seeing as they are still in power but they will never live it down.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Slim. Its been 2 decades. Regardless of whether or not he is dead the damage to the government has been done by the gesture and photographs. Not enough seeing as they are still in power but they will never live it down.

The generation that followed has no idea of what happened. It has been purged.
China is due some time in the future for massive civil strife. Much akin to what we call the Arab Spring. Chinese history is a good teacher. Civil strife has increased in multiples over the past decade. With brutal shutdowns.
The Politburo is well aware of this.
Just goggle pork prices and what occurred a few years ago. China has a pork bank to maintain prices of staples. They had riots due to price increases. One reason why they are trying to buy the largest US producer of pork. Stable supplies.
Oil - raw materials are not the only thing they look at, food staples are another.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Wow we make all this fuss about China killing a few demonstrators and bringing an end
to thoughts and dreams of democracy. Even to be critical of China is nothing short of
defined hypocrisy.
While we banter about some dead freedom worshipers we expanded trade to that nation
and we fall all over each other in an attempt to be seen with the most vile traitorous people
on the planet. The real story is about greed in the absence of ethics. A few chosen words
of criticism while while taking advantage of the cheap labour and the people these freedom
seekers were trying to help. I suggest we not be critical of China we look into the mirror
and be critical of ourselves.
At the same time we promote the double standard we hold firm on the tiny Island of Cuba.
that has actually stood up pretty well and defied the the embargo that America will sooner
or later have to abandon. We could have stood in solidarity with those brave souls and
demonstrated we had ethics and a sense of morality. Instead we sold out to the common
denominator GREED.
On this day as other days we should collectively be ashamed of ourselves.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
The generation that followed has no idea of what happened. It has been purged.

Given how open China is now compared to then I'd have to doubt that. Most outside of the cities living in poverty probably dont know but it'd be very hard to keep this info from the more educated. With tourists from China coming to the west and many people from here going over there to work it'd be impossible to keep this event hidden. They arent nearly as closed or totalitarian as North Korea today. It'd take a government like North Koreas to completely cover up an event this big.

Wow we make all this fuss about China killing a few demonstrators and bringing an end
to thoughts and dreams of democracy. Even to be critical of China is nothing short of
defined hypocrisy.
While we banter about some dead freedom worshipers we expanded trade to that nation
and we fall all over each other in an attempt to be seen with the most vile traitorous people
on the planet. The real story is about greed in the absence of ethics.
On this day as other days we should collectively be ashamed of ourselves.

Agreed. If I had my way we'd have nothing to do with their government.