The truth about Canada

hunboldt

Time Out
May 5, 2013
at my keyboard
Hurtig is a lefty from way back.

That is the nicest comment you have ever given anyone!

WOW I am impresses!

Palindrome

Nominee Member
May 14, 2013
But is what he is saying true?

(Of course it's true. He's always been a conscientious researcher. Cor, the old boy must be so tired! But he keeps on trying to save this country from its leaders. I respect the hell out of that.)

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
To think people in the media don't want us to know important information... Pfft.
Why in the hell would they want that?

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Mel Hurtig is anti-Free Trade.. Love the man already.

Protectionist.. getting better.

A decade ago the factory had 500 employees making 1.3 million shirts. That dwindled to 110 people working reduced hours to make 500,000.

The unusual mission statement for the fledging Canadian-Made Apparel company is written on a board overlooking sewing machines and computerized fabric cutters. It’s nothing more than a date and time — Feb. 21, 2013, 1 p.m.

At precisely that moment, in this very same factory, the owners of John Forsyth Shirt Co. Ltd. told 110 employees that a century of shirt-making would come to an end. The company, established in 1903, was closing its factory — the latest victim of a Canadian-made garment industry decimated by globalization and, in Forsyth’s case, government decisions.

At its most idealistic, globalization is a business model for a world where market forces put everyone on the same development path to affluence and democracy. At its worst, it’s a model for exploitation and corporate conquistadors. In between is a large area where public policy, corporate decisions and consumer attitudes shape a theory often marketed as a force of nature.

The Cambridge factory had been struggling for years. Competition was fierce. The retail price of a Forsyth dress shirt runs from $70 to $125. Shirts made in places like Bangladesh sell for as little as $10 at huge retailers like Walmart. And demand wasn’t going Forsyth’s way.

more

Made in Canada: How globalization has hit the Canadian apparel industry | Toronto Star