Performance of US companies in China worsens

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada

BEIJING — U.S. companies in China say revenue and profits fell last year as the economy slowed and they faced more difficult government regulation, a business group reported Thursday.
The report by the American Chamber of Commerce in Shanghai added to complaints that Beijing might be trying to shield Chinese companies from foreign rivals in possible violation of market-opening pledges.
U.S. companies that responded to an annual survey said their performance declined for a second year, though many said they were profitable and expect to grow this year. The number that said they were profitable declined to 73 percent from 2011's 78 percent.
Business conditions are changing as China's economic growth slows from double-digit rates of the past decade and the government tries to reduce reliance on trade and investment by encouraging service industries and domestic consumption.
China's economy expanded by 7.8 percent last year, well above the rates of the United States, Europe and Japan, but its weakest annual performance since the 1990s.
"The `new normal' for U.S. companies in China will be characterized by a maturing economy that is likely to generate weaker growth returns and rising business challenges," the chamber said.
Companies also find the regulatory environment "increasingly challenging," with more than two-thirds of those responding saying it was either not improving or deteriorating, the group said.
Other business groups including the American Chamber of Commerce in China and the European Chamber of Commerce in China have reported similar complaints by member companies about regulatory obstacles.
The Shanghai chamber appealed to Beijing to make its "vague regulatory framework" simpler and easier to understand.
"Reports from American managers competing in China indicate that some domestic firms take advantage of unclear rules, laws and regulations to give them a competitive leg up," the report said.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
I hope American Companies lose their shirt in China. The have exported the jobs
to a nation that has no regard for international rules of society let alone anything
else. China will soon fade anyway some of the other poor nations will allow their
workers to be exploited by Western Companies including Canada and I hope they
end up on the short end of the stick. God knows what is in the products they make
and sell to us.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I hope American Companies lose their shirt in China. The have exported the jobs to a nation that has no regard for international rules of society let alone anything else.

Someday when Canada has 700,000,000 unemployed, we'll be able to produce 15 cent spatulas to sell in Chinese Yuanorama stores.

Christianna

Electoral Member
Dec 18, 2012
The same people who exported the jobs sure wouldn't dream of living in any of the countries they sent jobs to.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
The same people who exported the jobs sure wouldn't dream of living in any of the countries they sent jobs to.

Those jobs got exported due to the local economy refusing to buy more expensive, locally made products... Every time that you go to Walmart and fill your trunk with goods for next to nothing, you are killing a job opportunity in the manufacturing sector in North America.

WindWalker

Electoral Member
May 22, 2008
French Creek, BC
Those jobs got exported due to the local economy refusing to buy more expensive, locally made products... Every time that you go to Walmart and fill your trunk with goods for next to nothing, you are killing a job opportunity in the manufacturing sector in North America.

I agree. I've been saying exactly that since Walmart started to make its' move to the Canadian market. The consumers themselves exported the jobs to save money. They are still doing so.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
True people think cheap not quality and they get what they ask for. Walmart and others
are now going to see their profits slow, along with the rest, One of the biggest problems
we face is, people believe we are out of the woods and that is not true the recession is
coming harder and in short order. We cannot continue to prop up an unsustainable
economy.